God's Actual Name

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

jgh7

God's Actual Name

Post #1

Post by jgh7 »

I've seen God called by different names. As much as I know, the consonants for his name are given in the OT, but the vowels are missing.

Does anyone here claim to know what the vowels are and thus the proper pronunciation of God's name. Or is it a mystery that will remain unknown?

Talishi
Guru

Post #71

Post by Talishi »

B Bob wrote: I am curious, why do you always look at the scriptures to see if you can prove them wrong?
Scene from an episode of Firefly:

Book: What are we up to, sweetheart?
River Tam: Fixing your Bible.
Book: I, um...what?
River Tam: Bible's broken. Contradictions, false logistics - doesn't make sense.
Book: No, no. You-you-you can't...
River Tam: So we'll integrate non-progressional evolution theory with God's creation of Eden. Eleven inherent metaphoric parallels already there. Eleven. Important number. Prime number. One goes into the house of eleven eleven times, but always comes out one. Noah's ark is a problem.
Book: Really?
River Tam: We'll have to call it early quantum state phenomenon. Only way to fit 5000 species of mammal on the same boat.
Book: River, you don't fix the Bible.
River: It's broken. It doesn't make sense.

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Re: God's Actual Name

Post #72

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 1 by jgh7]

A god by any other name is just as unverified.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #73

Post by onewithhim »

tigger2 wrote: Exact pronunciation of the only personal name of God is certainly not essential as the various pronunciations of the only personal name of Christ shows (Yeshua, Yehoshua, Yay.soos [Greek pronunciation in NT], Jesus, etc.). So, to follow English tradition since the time the KJV translation rendered God's "only name" in Ps. 83:18, we may use "Jehovah."

However there is one thing that is often overlooked. God's name is written with the Hebrew consonants of YHWH. The use of the waw (in modern Greek vav) was pronounced as 'w' is in modern English.
http://examiningthetrinity.blogspot.co ... name.html

and

http://hebrewgrammar.sbts.edu/page2/page2.html
'
Therefore, 'Yehowah' is probably more accurate than Yehovah', but any transliterated form of YHWH that is commonly used in your language should certainly be acceptable. This would include 'Jehovah,' 'Yahweh,' and even 'Yehovah,' 'Yahveh' and 'Yehowah.'

What is not acceptable is the completely dishonest translation favored in most modern English Bibles - 'LORD.'
Excellent thoughts.

God to Moses: "Yes, tell them, 'Jehovah, the God of your ancestors...has sent me to you.' This is my eternal name, to be used throughout all generations." (Exodus 3:15, Catholic Living Bible)

:D

TheHolyGhost
Banned
Banned

Post #74

Post by TheHolyGhost »

jgh7 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:12 pm I've seen God called by different names. As much as I know, the consonants for his name are given in the OT, but the vowels are missing.

Does anyone here claim to know what the vowels are and thus the proper pronunciation of God's name. Or is it a mystery that will remain unknown?
God has a new name, but none of these people will know it.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #75

Post by onewithhim »

TheHolyGhost wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:35 am
jgh7 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:12 pm I've seen God called by different names. As much as I know, the consonants for his name are given in the OT, but the vowels are missing.

God has a new name, but none of these people will know it.
His name is pronounced in varied ways, depending on what culture you are aligned with. The English-speaking world has called Him "Jehovah" for centuries, due mainly because of the King James Version (see Psalm 83:18, KJV).

God is not called by different names. His name appears in the Hebrew Scriptures 7,000 times as the Tetragrammaton, YHWH, therefore, if anyone isn't comfortable calling Him "Jehovah," they can say each letter of the Tetragammaton (Yohd He Waw He). That is entirely ok with God.