God's Actual Name

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

jgh7

God's Actual Name

Post #1

Post by jgh7 »

I've seen God called by different names. As much as I know, the consonants for his name are given in the OT, but the vowels are missing.

Does anyone here claim to know what the vowels are and thus the proper pronunciation of God's name. Or is it a mystery that will remain unknown?

B Bob
Apprentice

Post #41

Post by B Bob »

[Replying to post 39 by onewithhim]

Yes and according to Paul, His name is revealed to us as Jesus CHrist (Acts 26:15). Jude knew Him as Jesus (Jude 1:4). Jude also understood Jesus was the Lord that lead His people out of Egypt (Jude 1:5). Jude, was also the brother of Jesus, understood Jesus was Jehovah (Jude 1:25)

onewithhim
Savant

Post #42

Post by onewithhim »

jgh7 wrote: [Replying to Elijah John]

Here's the completely subjective reason I like Yahweh. My cousin told me something interesting. This particular pronunciation, when done extremely slowly and stressed, goes through every single vowel sound possible. I can't give a proper demonstration through typing unfortunately. But I just found that to be super cool and somewhat mystical to me.
Where is the "o" vowel sound in "Yahweh"?

:?

onewithhim
Savant

Re: God's Actual Name

Post #43

Post by onewithhim »

B Bob wrote: [Replying to post 32 by onewithhim]

I have the same question for you that Jesus asked the Pharisees in Matt 22:41-45 about the Lord of the Old Testament and the Lord of the New Testament (Messiah). They could not answer. Can you?

Matt 22:41-45 Now while the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus asked them a question: 42“What do you think about the Christ, whose son is He?� They said to Him, “The son of David.� 43He said to them, “Then how does David in the Spirit call Him ‘Lord,’ saying,

44‘THE LORD SAID TO MY LORD,
“SIT AT MY RIGHT HAND,
UNTIL I PUT YOUR ENEMIES BENEATH YOUR FEET�’?

45“If David then calls Him ‘Lord,’ how is He his son?� 46No one was able to answer Him a word, nor did anyone dare from that day on to ask Him another question.
You didn't respond to what I said in my post. You just ignored it. I, on the other hand, answer what a person posts, and any questions he might have.

I don't really understand your question. I'm sure it is easily answerable. To eliminate any confusion, let's go back to the original texts (in Hebrew), which show the Divine Name:

"Jehovah said to my Lord, 'Sit at my right hand, until I put your enemies beneath your feet.'" (Psalm 110:1, Young's Literal Translation)

This shows Jehovah speaking to David's Lord, the Messiah, as is borne out by Acts 2: 33-36. So what is your question about it?

:?:

B Bob
Apprentice

Re: God's Actual Name

Post #44

Post by B Bob »

[Replying to post 43 by onewithhim]

My question is the same question Jesus asked in vs 45 “If David then calls Him ‘Lord,’ how is He his son?�

onewithhim
Savant

Post #45

Post by onewithhim »

B Bob wrote: [Replying to JLB32168]

God's actual name is Jesus Christ
If God's name is "Jesus Christ," then who was Jesus referring to when he said he was returning to "MY GOD"? (John 20:17)

After answering that, will you respond to my posts #32 (which you didn't answer), and #43? You didn't give me YOUR question, because any Bible student knows the answer, so I assume you would too know more than the Pharisees knew or would admit. It is clear that Jehovah was speaking to David's Lord, THE MESSIAH, so Jesus was bringing out that if God was speaking to the Messiah, which is himself, Jesus Christ, then how could Jesus be merely David's son? He has to be something more.

Your question is answered, I believe. Even though I'm not sure what your question really is.

Can you reason on this post AND #32 & #43?

:?
Last edited by onewithhim on Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

B Bob
Apprentice

Post #46

Post by B Bob »

[Replying to post 45 by onewithhim]

Can you answer my questions too?

B Bob
Apprentice

Post #47

Post by B Bob »

I answere 43. Do you understand the question Jesus was asking? If so, you can answer it, if not, there is no way to answer it.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #48

Post by onewithhim »

B Bob wrote: [Replying to post 45 by onewithhim]

I answere 43. Do you understand the question Jesus was asking? If so, you can answer it, if not, there is no way to answer it.
I just did.

How can you DISCUSS anything here when you don't read the posts????

:?:

B Bob
Apprentice

Post #49

Post by B Bob »

B Bob
Apprentice

Post #50

Post by B Bob »

Ok, I didn't see this post. You are correct, Jesus is something more. He is the Lord God of the Old Testament, come in the flesh.