Repeated Unsubstantiated Claims

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

Neatras
Guru

Repeated Unsubstantiated Claims

Post #1

Post by Neatras »

What can be done in a scientific sub-forum in order to discourage unsubstantiated claims? I have reported several posts, and they tend to come up without any further action by moderators.

When I say this, I expect moderators to come in and say, "No rules were violated." However, that is not the case. The rule violated is that assertions must be backed up by evidence.

The problem I see with this forum is that evidence is loosely defined.

I am going to be very indiscreet and just point it out.

When an individual on the forum makes an assertion, and then claims that their assertion is backed up by facts, it should be a given that they show those facts. However, in the science subforum, we have a particular individual who doesn't make it to the most crucial step: Showing the facts.

Instead, we've had rhetorical arguments back and forth, getting us nowhere as we try to, time and time again, point out that merely claiming support by facts does not demonstrate support by facts.

And no matter how many of those posts I report, nothing is done, because the moderators are unwilling or unable to decide when a post is unsubstantiated or not.

So, what is the solution here? When discussing science, we should be allowed to FURTHER knowledge and insight, but that is being curtailed. It is a masterful demonstration of how rhetoric can stop all discussion, and I want the science subforum to go back to its former glory, where scientific facts were actually presented.

Talishi
Guru

Re: Repeated Unsubstantiated Claims

Post #2

Post by Talishi »

Neatras wrote: What can be done in a scientific sub-forum in order to discourage unsubstantiated claims? I have reported several posts, and they tend to come up without any further action by moderators.

When I say this, I expect moderators to come in and say, "No rules were violated." However, that is not the case. The rule violated is that assertions must be backed up by evidence.
If someone says the Earth is hollow, with openings at the poles, and you call for evidence, they can simply point to the 19th Century theories of John Cleves Symmes Jr.
Thank you for playing Debating Christianity & Religion!