Christians being drawn into "holy" war

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

opinionator

Christians being drawn into "holy" war

Post #1

Post by opinionator »

As if it isn’t bad enough that many Americans are condemning all Muslims for what a few are doing, you have Christians mixed in with this fine group as well. I take issue with what Americans are saying, but I have to take more of an issue with those who profess to be Christians and are buying into this sort of extremism. Why do I reserve special condemnation for those who profess Christ? I do so because your stance is soundly against the Christian principles you claim to defend and that you say are under assault by these same Muslims.

The problem here is that there seems to be a war of religions or a war of civilizations in the making. But where in the bible do we see that Christians are supposed to wage war against those who seek to harm them? The Christ of the bible, who so many claim to follow, would never sanction such a thing. Did he lead an armed revolt against the Jews who sought to persecute him? Did he declare war against the Romans? The answer is a clear no in both cases.

I’m just trying to hold Christians to the scripture by which the claim to live. The truth that many can’t seem to grasp is that there is a distinct difference between being an American and a Christian. The two don’t go together all that well. Christian scripture calls for the believer to have allegiance to Christ over all else. This includes any country or earthly government. Do what you want as an American. The right course of action is open to debate in that regard. But if you are a Christian, the debate is quite settled by scripture. You are not called to slaughter anyone. You are not called to go to war with another religion. Because your kingdom is not supposed to be of this world, now is it?

http://www.thescribblingsage.com

Monta
Guru

Re: Christians being drawn into "holy" war

Post #2

Post by Monta »

[Replying to post 1 by opinionator]

I did not get anything from your post or from the link about

Christians fighting in a war.

Donray
Guru

Post #3

Post by Donray »

opinionator wrote: As if it isn’t bad enough that many Americans are condemning all Muslims for what a few are doing,

Could you tell us what a few is? A dozen? A million?

Remember that millions wanted to kill the people that published pictures of Mohamed.

How many Muslims support honor killings? How many are is ISIS?

So, you need to define what you mean by a few. I think there are millions.

Monta
Guru

Post #4

Post by Monta »

[Replying to post 2 by Monta]

"I did not get anything from your post or from the link about
Christians fighting in a war."

My appologies for saying something stupid as that above that there is nothing in
opinionators post about Chrstians at war. Possibly influenced by the link.

Quote:
"I’m just trying to hold Christians to the scripture by which the claim to live. The truth that many can’t seem to grasp is that there is a distinct difference between being an American and a Christian. The two don’t go together all that well. Christian scripture calls for the believer to have allegiance to Christ over all else. This includes any country or earthly government. Do what you want as an American. The right course of action is open to debate in that regard. But if you are a Christian, the debate is quite settled by scripture. You are not called to slaughter anyone. You are not called to go to war with another religion. Because your kingdom is not supposed to be of this world, now is it? "

Sad but true. If more Christians lived by the Word there would be more peace in the world. They play games with the devil and when it comes back to their doorstep they cry of injustice.

Not even supporting Christians in Syria is appalling. The land where Jesus walked and the first Christian Churches were built to honor His Name.

Imagine if Christians stood up for Syria the way they stand up for Zionist Israel the story of Syria would be different today.

Jesus warned us, the first shall be last and the last shall be first. Heavens will be full of killed Iraqis, and Afghanis, and Syrians, and Palestinians, there may not be room left for the so-called Christians. Wii Jesus be repeating his words - depart from me you workers of iniquity?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #5

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by opinionator]

Christians should be peacemakers, war is not for this system. The only holy war for our time God will fight himself.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Monta
Guru

Post #6

Post by Monta »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 1 by opinionator]

Christians should be peacemakers, war is not for this system. The only holy war for our time God will fight himself.
The time for them to stand up is when their country fights unjust wars, non defensive.
When US Presidents say, ..to keep America safe, they blindly fall for it and killing Syrian Christians is ok - to keep America safe.
Christian teaching totally perverted. Wolves in sheep clothing imo.

bluethread
Savant

Post #7

Post by bluethread »

Donray wrote:
opinionator wrote: As if it isn’t bad enough that many Americans are condemning all Muslims for what a few are doing,

Could you tell us what a few is? A dozen? A million?

Remember that millions wanted to kill the people that published pictures of Mohamed.

How many Muslims support honor killings? How many are is ISIS?

So, you need to define what you mean by a few. I think there are millions.
Also, very few Americans condemn all Muslims. There are many who criticize Muslim philosophy and condemn those who support violent jihad. However, that far from a widespread condemnation of millions off Muslims.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #8

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Monta wrote:

The time for them to stand up is when their country fights unjust wars, non defensive.

If by "stand up" you mean "start killing people" I have to say I do not agree. For Jehovah's Witnesses: "Vengence is God's He will repay"; as a Christian my mission is to do good, to love my enemies not try and kill them and look to the Kingdom to settle man's affairs.

Jesus will fight ruthless oppressors and dictators and when he does they will never exist again (Psalm 72: 13, 14). In the meantime, whereever Jehovah's Witnesses can be found, on both sides of whatever conflict we will be found helping our neighbours where we can and looking to the only true source of justice, Almighty God!
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Mountainmanbob
Student

Post #9

Post by Mountainmanbob »

No where in the bible does it tell me to sit back, do nothing -- as ones wish to cut off our heads.

MB

Donray
Guru

Post #10

Post by Donray »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Monta wrote:

If by "stand up" you mean "start killing people" I have to say I do not agree. For Jehovah's Witnesses: "Vengence is God's He will repay"; as a Christian my mission is to do good, to love my enemies not try and kill them and look to the Kingdom to settle man's affairs.

Jesus will fight ruthless oppressors and dictators and when he does they will never exist again (Psalm 72: 13, 14). In the meantime, whereever Jehovah's Witnesses can be found, on both sides of whatever conflict we will be found helping our neighbours where we can and looking to the only true source of justice, Almighty God!
If I am not mistaken, the your God lead armies to fight enemies. Your god killed every one that he thought was an enemies and did not care if they were children or woman armed or unarmed.

Show me were your god not Jesus said that you should not kill your enemies.