Christians being drawn into "holy" war

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

opinionator

Christians being drawn into "holy" war

Post #1

Post by opinionator »

As if it isn’t bad enough that many Americans are condemning all Muslims for what a few are doing, you have Christians mixed in with this fine group as well. I take issue with what Americans are saying, but I have to take more of an issue with those who profess to be Christians and are buying into this sort of extremism. Why do I reserve special condemnation for those who profess Christ? I do so because your stance is soundly against the Christian principles you claim to defend and that you say are under assault by these same Muslims.

The problem here is that there seems to be a war of religions or a war of civilizations in the making. But where in the bible do we see that Christians are supposed to wage war against those who seek to harm them? The Christ of the bible, who so many claim to follow, would never sanction such a thing. Did he lead an armed revolt against the Jews who sought to persecute him? Did he declare war against the Romans? The answer is a clear no in both cases.

I’m just trying to hold Christians to the scripture by which the claim to live. The truth that many can’t seem to grasp is that there is a distinct difference between being an American and a Christian. The two don’t go together all that well. Christian scripture calls for the believer to have allegiance to Christ over all else. This includes any country or earthly government. Do what you want as an American. The right course of action is open to debate in that regard. But if you are a Christian, the debate is quite settled by scripture. You are not called to slaughter anyone. You are not called to go to war with another religion. Because your kingdom is not supposed to be of this world, now is it?

http://www.thescribblingsage.com

Monta
Guru

Re: Christians being drawn into "holy" war

Post #11

Post by Monta »

[Replying to post 8 by JehovahsWitness]

"If by "stand up" you mean "start killing people" I have to say I do not agree. For Jehovah's Witnesses: "Vengence is God's He will repay"; as a Christian my mission is to do good, to love my enemies not try and kill them and look to the Kingdom to settle man's affairs. "

No, stand up and object and protest, be seen and be heard.

Support justice and peace for all.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by McCulloch »

Mountainmanbob wrote:No where in the bible does it tell me to sit back, do nothing -- as ones wish to cut off our heads.
Didn't Jesus say to follow his example?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John