Did Jesus exist? (Replaces earlier poll)

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Did Jesus exist?

Yes
39%
Likely
39%
Unlikely
13%
No
10%

Total votes: 31

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Did Jesus exist? (Replaces earlier poll)

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

Did Jesus live 2000 years ago, preach for a few years, and get executed?

This is NOT asking if you accept that he performed miracles or was supernatural – only that he existed, preached, was executed.

All are encouraged to explain why they do or do not accept

This thread / poll replaces an earlier one that was poorly worded.

Apologies to those who contributed to the previous thread (which is now in the Trash Can)
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Re: The Biblical Jesus didn't exist...but the Historic Jesus

Post #201

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

Kalidor wrote: [Replying to post 197 by Tired of the Nonsense]

Hi

Deadly Serious.

The Collective works of Ralph Ellis...check Amazon or YouTube him for a breif overview.

Interesting reading that I followed up with my own research in the library and internet. Even Wikipedia has a Jesus of Gamala page but i can't verify its authenticity...i prefer searching obscure sites and corellating the data.

Cheers
Ralph Ellis is so obscure he doesn't even rate a Wikipedia page. Even Paris Hilton rates a Wikipedia page. It's fairly extensive too. I only mention Paris Hilton because she is notorious for being famous for no good reason. Ralph Ellis isn't even as prominent as Paris Hilton.

Which is a round about way of saying that no one is taking Ralph Ellis particularly seriously. I should also point out that Jesus was a very common name 2,000 years ago. Except that it was pronounced Yeshua, our modern Joshua.
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

Willum
Savant

Post #202

Post by Willum »

[Replying to Tired of the Nonsense]

Point of order - Jesus (John) of Gamala is a real phenomenon. A rival demi-god if you will. But to agree - this knowledge clutters rather than clarifies the issue of a non-existent Jesus.

And Jesus wasn't common. It was Hey Zeus, pronounced then as it is today by Spanish folk.

Respectfully yours, as always,

Kalidor

Post #203

Post by Kalidor »

[Replying to Tired of the Nonsense]

Yep, three Jesus' referred to during the Jewish revolt...not including the one i mentioned. All of them Nazarine priests, all of them rebel leaders...and all of them crucified.

Unlucky name...or the same person?

As for Mr Ellis, i thought his work was well researched and written. My own research coroborated what he postulated...but the information was not easy to come by.

Too many similarities to be mere coicidence...and I don't believe in coincidence.

Hey, people can read the book and make up their own minds. O:)

Kalidor

Post #204

Post by Kalidor »

Yep, three Jesus' referred to during the Jewish revolt...not including the one i mentioned. All of them Nazarine priests, all of them rebel leaders...and all of them crucified. 

Unlucky name...or the same person? 

As for Mr Ellis, i thought his work was well researched and written. My own research coroborated what he postulated...but the information was not easy to come by. 

Too many similarities to be mere coicidence...and I don't believe in coincidence.  O:)

It all depends if the Biblical Jesus is based on this historical Jesus.

Bible says Jesus is the Son of God (man) and is descended from the Line of David.

Which is it? You can't have it both ways!

Put another way...Jesus was either a gentle pacifist who turned the other cheek...or a King who had no problem putting foot to roman a$$ to protect his people.

I know which version I prefer...what about you?

MadeNew
Banned
Banned

Post #205

Post by MadeNew »

Moderator, OnceConvinced removed one-line, non-contributing post. Just making a link to a video on a website is not debate.

klatu
Student

Re: Did Jesus exist? (Replaces earlier poll)

Post #206

Post by klatu »

If you're still "awaiting verifiable evidence upon which to base an intelligent, informed, reasoned decision." there may very well be an answer that can propel such a debate beyond the mere exchange of argument.

"The first wholly new interpretation for two thousand years of the moral teachings of Christ has been published. Radically different from anything else we know of from theology or history, this new teaching is predicated upon the 'promise' of a precise, predefined, predictable and repeatable experience of transcendent omnipotence and called 'the first Resurrection' in the sense that the Resurrection of Jesus was intended to demonstrate Gods' willingness to reveal Himself and intervene directly into the natural world for those obedient to His Command, paving the way for access to the power of divine Will and ultimate proof as the justification of faith."

After studying the material carefully, I'm now testing this new teaching now for myself and I can say without qualification this is not either 'theology' or 'fake' news but something very profound appears to be taking place, even as I type this note. For those keen to explore outside the box of the existing religious milieu, more at
http://www.energon.org.