Are good arguments essentially pointless on this forum?

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Are good arguments essentially pointless on this forum?

Post #1

Post by Justin108 »

9 times out of 10, when I read a comment that was liked by another member, the commenter is the same religion as the person liking the comment. This tells me that it's not so much the strength of the argument as it is who's side the commenter is on. Atheists will agree with atheists and theists will agree with theists, regardless of how good the argument actually is (with some exceptions).

The most frustrating thing is when someone says something along the lines of "we'll let the readers decide if my argument is flawed" after giving clear reasons for why a given argument is flawed. Of course the reader will agree with your flawed argument, as long as the reader has the same religious affiliation. Far too often, people just route for their own team just for the sake of routing for their own team, even in the face of a terribly made argument

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Re: Are good arguments essentially pointless on this forum?

Post #2

Post by Zzyzx »

[Replying to post 1 by Justin108]

Yes, people tend to root for their own team. However, MANY people read our debates without commenting (or "liking" or donating tokens).

Some or many of those hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands of views of our threads are by people who are not hard-and-fast in any theistic direction.

We may be wise to focus our attention on those readers rather than upon opposition debaters.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Neatras
Guru

Post #3

Post by Neatras »

Indeed, part of a debate is in the presentation. If you can eloquently convey the viability of your side in contrast to others, then you're bound to have listeners. What I can state in a few paragraphs, using the correct level of jargon for easier understanding, others can make entire rants about in order to disguise their intent or their lack of knowledge on the topic.

Monta
Guru

Re: Are good arguments essentially pointless on this forum?

Post #4

Post by Monta »

[Replying to Justin108]

"9 times out of 10, when I read a comment that was liked by another member, the commenter is the same religion as the person liking the comment. This tells me that it's not so much the strength of the argument as it is who's side the commenter is on. Atheists will agree with atheists and theists will agree with theists, regardless of how good the argument actually is (with some exceptions). "

Fully agree.