Darwin's "Downfall?"

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

ProLifeSkeptic
Student

Darwin's "Downfall?"

Post #1

Post by ProLifeSkeptic »

This individual who calls himself Keith Truth has made a recent documentary in which he illustrates the "downfall" of Evolution (you can watch the whole documentary if you choose, or click on the numbers in the description of the video to jump to his arguments)

He shows "evidence" Against Macro-evolution: 05:25 - 31:07, he tries to show Alleged Evidence for Macro-evolution: 31:08 - 01:08:06, and proof for the age of the Earth and the flood The Age of the Earth and the Flood: 01:08:07 - 01:24:28

The final segment of the documentary is typical "evolution teaches that we're animals" and stuff like that.

ProLifeSkeptic
Student

Re: Darwin's "Downfall?"

Post #21

Post by ProLifeSkeptic »

[Replying to post 19 by H.sapiens]

I have heard of talkorgins before, and I'm still browsing through it. Very good site.

ProLifeSkeptic
Student

Post #22

Post by ProLifeSkeptic »

[Replying to post 20 by Divine Insight]

I'll look into the genome project. Btw, if you're interested, you can check out Part 1 of my de-conversion story from Christianity here: http://autodeceptitron.deviantart.com/a ... -608856284

The ironic thing about all of this is that the story of Noah's Ark used to be one of my favorite Bible stories as a child, next to the story of David and Goliath and Daniel and the Lion's Den (the latter of which, I found out was actually a historical forgery.).

Delphi
Apprentice

Post #23

Post by Delphi »

ProLifeSkeptic wrote: [Replying to post 16 by Divine Insight]

In regard to the transitional fossil record, I've been told that the ear bone within the pakicetus skull, or whatever it's called, is actually not the same shape as the actual ear bone in modern whales.
We as humans have a common ancestor with modern whales. We (like whales) are air-breathing, warm-blooded mammals. However, the ears of a water-dwelling animal has evolved differently than our ears.

Whales and fish obviously live under water where the atmospheric water pressures are much greater than we experience above water in the gaseous atmosphere. The tympanic membrane and the stapes bones that we share with whales seem to have had their origins in the therapsid dinosaurs (or perhaps earlier. I can't remember)

Contrast our mammalian hearing with that of fish. Fish have a lateral line across their sides, rather than bones and an eardrum like us ground dwellers. Fish evolved a different type of 'underwater hearing' that was independent of the mammals.

H.sapiens
Guru

Post #24

Post by H.sapiens »

[Replying to post 18 by ProLifeSkeptic]

Of course it is true, as expected. Pakicetus was amphibious and whales are fully aquatic. The point is that similarities first defined the relationships and this have been confirmed by immunological and genetic studies. Case closed.

ProLifeSkeptic
Student

Post #25

Post by ProLifeSkeptic »

[Replying to post 24 by H.sapiens]

My favorite is the Ambulocetus, I learned about it from the BBC documentary "Walking With Beasts".

ProLifeSkeptic
Student

Post #26

Post by ProLifeSkeptic »

[Replying to post 23 by Delphi]

What about the little leg bones in the modern whale skeleton?

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #27

Post by Divine Insight »

ProLifeSkeptic wrote: [Replying to post 20 by Divine Insight]

I'll look into the genome project. Btw, if you're interested, you can check out Part 1 of my de-conversion story from Christianity here: http://autodeceptitron.deviantart.com/a ... -608856284
Looks like an interesting story. I'll try to find time to read it. :D
ProLifeSkeptic wrote: The ironic thing about all of this is that the story of Noah's Ark used to be one of my favorite Bible stories as a child, next to the story of David and Goliath and Daniel and the Lion's Den (the latter of which, I found out was actually a historical forgery.).
I always liked the story of Noah too. I strongly identified with being Noah and could just see God asking me to build the Ark. I love to build things.

By the way, I soon realized that most other people saw themselves as being the sinners who were going to be drown if they don't straighten up. I could never understand why they would identify with that part of the story.

I always thought of the story as one where God is telling me that no matter how bad things get in the world he will always save me and my family from the evil ones by helping me "build a metaphorical Ark" whist he deals with the evil people.

It never once dawned on me that I should identify with being among those evil people. I don't understand people who make that connection. I would have been Noah for sure. :D
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

ProLifeSkeptic
Student

Post #28

Post by ProLifeSkeptic »

[Replying to post 27 by Divine Insight]

What really is absurd about the Noah story is the fact that according to the Bible, it failed. Mankind was no less "sinful" than it was before.

"A five-hundred foot, wooden boat? Eight zookeepers for fourteen-thousand individual animals? Every land plant in the world underwater for a full year? I ask us all, is that really reasonable?"

-Bill Nye
[/i]

H.sapiens
Guru

Post #29

Post by H.sapiens »

ProLifeSkeptic wrote: [Replying to post 19 by H.sapiens]

I have heard of talkorgins before, and I'm still browsing through it. Very good site.
It contains factual and well constructed rebuttals to every creationist claim I've ever come across. Sometimes I respond in threads with nothing but talkorigin section numbers, just to show that the creationists never have any new arguments.

ProLifeSkeptic
Student

Post #30

Post by ProLifeSkeptic »

[Replying to post 29 by H.sapiens]

I don't really try and talk to Christian fundamentalists. I don't want to be giving them any idea that I'm anything like their Bible claims I am.