Do nonbelievers or non-theists have faith?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

KingandPriest
Sage

Do nonbelievers or non-theists have faith?

Post #1

Post by KingandPriest »

In a separate thread, I suggested the following:
KingandPriest wrote:This is why most apologist say you need more faith to be an atheist than to believe in God
To this, an agnostic replied:
Blastcat wrote:Yeah, I heard that silly slander before.. I read a book with a title like that, too.
That book was a HUGE disappointment, by the way.

Frank isn't very respected by outsiders to the faith.
Even the title of the book is messed up.

How many atheists have you EVER heard saying that they have "faith in their atheism"?

Would that be many or few?
To this I now ask:

1. Does a atheist have to proclaim faith in atheism to have faith?
2. Can a nonbeliever or non-theist have faith in anything at all?
3. When a person places money into a bank account, and then goes to a store to spend some of this money, is the action of using a debit card, check card or check book an act of faith?
4. Are generally accepted scientific theories statements of faith?

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: Do nonbelievers or non-theists have faith?

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

KingandPriest wrote: 1. Does a atheist have to proclaim faith in atheism to have faith?
No. Atheism is simply a rejection of theism. For example, do you consider it to be an act of "faith" to reject the idea that Zeus represents "God"?
KingandPriest wrote: 2. Can a nonbeliever or non-theist have faith in anything at all?
The term "faith" has many different meanings. For example, you could say that I have "faith" that when I get in my car it will start and run normally. For me this is pretty well-placed faith since my car has been extremely dependable for many years. However, I'm fully aware that there could come a day when I'll get in it and for some reason it won't run.

I don't think that's the same kind of "faith" that theists place in their invisible Gods.
KingandPriest wrote: 3. When a person places money into a bank account, and then goes to a store to spend some of this money, is the action of using a debit card, check card or check book an act of faith?
No. It's an act of depending on a SYSTEM that is supposed to work for very rational and logical reasons.

Surely you aren't suggesting that this represents the very same type of "faith" the theists have in their Gods? :_k
KingandPriest wrote: 4. Are generally accepted scientific theories statements of faith?
No. A generally accepted scientific theory is accepted because it has been demonstrated to have very good predictive and explanatory power.

I will be the first to confess that the scientific community as a whole should be ashamed of themselves for the ways they have used the term "Theory" to even apply to hypotheses that have no yet been confirmed via evidence.

One very popular example is "String Theory", this should technically be called "String Hypothesis". There is no evidence that any strings actually exist.

Some may argue that "String Theory" does "explain" things. However, although it offers some potential explanations for how things might be, it doesn't truly explain them in detail. So often times in Science the term "theory" is used prematurely, IMHO, when the term "Hypothesis" would be a far more accurate description.

Also, "Evolution Theory" is called a "theory" because it explains how evolution works and this is what a theory is supposed to do. It has also made predictions that have been verified to be true. What many people seem to lose sight of is the fact that while "Evolution Theory" explains how evolution works, the actual process of evolution itself is clearly very real and exists even if we didn't have a "theory" to explain it.

We don't need to have "faith" in evolution, for example, because we have abundant evidence to know for certain that it's true.

So, in science, just how much faith you need to place in a theory can depend on which "theory" you are talking about. I think it's justified to say that a person would need to have very much 'faith' in String Theory if they want to claim to believe that it is a fact. Because, in truth, String Theory is actually just a hypothesis at this point in time.

But as pointed out above, the same cannot be said for Evolution Theory. Clearly evolution is real and Evolution Theory simply explains how it works. :D

So there's no need to place any "faith" in evolution theory since it has already been well-established to be a true description of reality.

The same can be said for Einstein's Theory of General Relativity. It's already been verified to be true, so there's no need to believe it on faith. You can simply accept it as fact.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #3

Post by rikuoamero »

KingandPriest wrote: In a separate thread, I suggested the following:
KingandPriest wrote:This is why most apologist say you need more faith to be an atheist than to believe in God
To this, an agnostic replied:
Blastcat wrote:Yeah, I heard that silly slander before.. I read a book with a title like that, too.
That book was a HUGE disappointment, by the way.

Frank isn't very respected by outsiders to the faith.
Even the title of the book is messed up.

How many atheists have you EVER heard saying that they have "faith in their atheism"?

Would that be many or few?
To this I now ask:

3. When a person places money into a bank account, and then goes to a store to spend some of this money, is the action of using a debit card, check card or check book an act of faith?
1) No.
2) Yes.
3) Equivocation fallacy. You're now using a completely different meaning of the word faith here. I trust that the bank will take care of my money, and pay attention to this bit...I can take action against them if they do not. i.e. there is an agreement between the bank, represented by a duly appointed agent and myself, where signatures are given on paper. There is no such analog in theism. If I suspect the bank of misusing my money, I can have an investigation or audit done.
4) No, again, equivocation fallacy. If you (yes you, KnP) read the New Testament, you trust what the writers claim is what Jesus Christ said 2,000 years ago. Other than what they write, you, me and everyone else have literally nothing to go on.
When it comes to scientific theories, such as gravity, or germs, we do not need to rely on what Person X claims Person Y said. We can do our own investigations. So if you are honestly skeptical of germ theory, all you have to do is get a microscope and examine some skin cells, do your own research.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

KingandPriest
Sage

Post #4

Post by KingandPriest »

rikuoamero wrote:

1) No.
2) Yes.
3) Equivocation fallacy. You're now using a completely different meaning of the word faith here. I trust that the bank will take care of my money, and pay attention to this bit...I can take action against them if they do not. i.e. there is an agreement between the bank, represented by a duly appointed agent and myself, where signatures are given on paper. There is no such analog in theism. If I suspect the bank of misusing my money, I can have an investigation or audit done.
4) No, again, equivocation fallacy. If you (yes you, KnP) read the New Testament, you trust what the writers claim is what Jesus Christ said 2,000 years ago. Other than what they write, you, me and everyone else have literally nothing to go on.
When it comes to scientific theories, such as gravity, or germs, we do not need to rely on what Person X claims Person Y said. We can do our own investigations. So if you are honestly skeptical of germ theory, all you have to do is get a microscope and examine some skin cells, do your own research.
How am i using a completely different meaning of the word faith here?

How do you define faith?
Is faith synonymous with trust?

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #5

Post by Divine Insight »

KingandPriest wrote: How do you define faith?
If faith is synonymous with trust, then how can a theist claim to have "faith" in a God that they can't know exists? :-k

What theists claim to have "faith" in is the existence of a God for which there is absolutely no evidence for.

So yes, if you are attempting to compare something like having "faith" that the sun will come up tomorrow with something like believing in the existence of a God, you are making a false comparison.

We know that that Sun exists. Today we even know and understand why it "Comes up" every morning. So if we place "faith" in the idea that the sun will come up in the morning we are merely trusting that it will do what it's been doing dependably for all known human existence, as well as for millions of years beyond that.

How can you compare that kind of "faith" (or trust) with a belief in a mythological God for which there is no evidence?
[center]Image
[/center]

KingandPriest
Sage

Post #6

Post by KingandPriest »

Divine Insight wrote:
KingandPriest wrote: How do you define faith?
If faith is synonymous with trust, then how can a theist claim to have "faith" in a God that they can't know exists? :-k

What theists claim to have "faith" in is the existence of a God for which there is absolutely no evidence for.
Is this your answer to the questions?

Your claim that there is absolutely no evidence for the existence of God is false. This has been one of the greatest challenges on this forum. The word evidence seems to change definitions. Rather than admitting there are types of evidence, and some types of evidence point to the existence of some higher power or designer of the universe.

The evidence of the existence of God is often indirect. Just like the evidence we use to date the age of the sun or age of the universe. Even in our physical reality there are things which we claim to know with no direct knowledge or direct evidence. If you wish to discredit the evidence used to claim the existence of God, you should also discredit the evidence used to claim things like the composition of the earths core or the age of the sun. We know the existence of God by indirect evidence.

Do you take the position that we cannot know anything by indirect evidence?
Divine Insight wrote:
So yes, if you are attempting to compare something like having "faith" that the sun will come up tomorrow with something like believing in the existence of a God, you are making a false comparison.
Why is this a false comparison. We know that God exists on the basis of testimony and indirect evidence which supports his existence. The same way we "know" the BBT, we know God exists. Way meaning through a combination of indirect evidence and faith. The BBT relies on a combination of indirect evidence and acceptance of certain claims as true. No direct evidence of these additional claims.

It is after we know God exists, that I compare having faith in God to having faith that the sun will come up tomorrow.

Divine Insight wrote:
We know that that Sun exists. Today we even know and understand why it "Comes up" every morning. So if we place "faith" in the idea that the sun will come up in the morning we are merely trusting that it will do what it's been doing dependably for all known human existence, as well as for millions of years beyond that.

How can you compare that kind of "faith" (or trust) with a belief in a mythological God for which there is no evidence?
Now I agree the method of how we know the sun exists is different than the method for how we know God exists. I am not comparing the method of how we know the sun exists with how we know God exists. I am comparing faith to faith.

Is it wrong to compare a "kind of fatih (or trust)" with another kind of faith?
Is it wrong to compare red apples to green apples?
Do you claim one "kind of fatih (or trust)" is soo different from another that no comparisons are possible?

Are red and green apples so different that it is impossible or incorrect to compare red apples to green apples?

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by ttruscott »

KingandPriest wrote:2. Can a nonbeliever or non-theist have faith in anything at all?
If faith means only belief in Christ then no but if it means a hope in a planned but unproven future, then yes, they practice faith every day...
If it is unproven but accepted then that is by faith. If it is only understood by a half dozen or so mathematics profs but accepted on their word to be true then that acceptance is also by faith in them.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by ttruscott »

... wrote:What theists claim to have "faith" in is the existence of a God for which there is absolutely no evidence for.
Which believer in Christ do you know who came to believe in Christ
- without ever hearing of let alone reading the bible,
- without ever hearing about let alone listening to sermons about Christ and the meaning of the Bible by any priest, teacher, or parent
- Without a guilt feeling that had them ask Christ for salvation which they never heard of for sins they never heard of...

Gee, there is none? But that is what belief with absolutely no evidence means! There should be millions of Christian believers who attest to a spontaneous belief without any evidence what so ever if this is not made up in a zeal of animosity.

Every Christian you know has had an experience with the Bible, the life of Christ, the testimony of others and the feeling of a need for salvation before their conversion. Isn't that curious and doesn't it just make the claim there is absolutely no evidence for Christianity to be spurious...
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #9

Post by OnceConvinced »

KingandPriest wrote:
One can say they don't have faith in something and be lying. I see no reason to believe that atheists here are lying when they say they don't have faith in their atheism.

KingandPriest wrote:
Of course they can. They could have faith in many things. I don't know what you would mean by faith in atheism though. That doesn't really make sense to me. That's like saying you have faith in not eating Brussell Sprouts or faith in not going to the movies.
KingandPriest wrote: 3. When a person places money into a bank account, and then goes to a store to spend some of this money, is the action of using a debit card, check card or check book an act of faith?
Not really the same thing. You should really be asking this instead if you want it to line up with atheism:

"When a person doesn't place money into a bank account and then doesn't go to a store to spend money, is the action of NOT using a debit card, check card or check book an act of faith?

That would be atheism. And I would answer no.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #10

Post by Divine Insight »

KingandPriest wrote: Is this your answer to the questions?

Your claim that there is absolutely no evidence for the existence of God is false. This has been one of the greatest challenges on this forum. The word evidence seems to change definitions. Rather than admitting there are types of evidence, and some types of evidence point to the existence of some higher power or designer of the universe.
This doesn't help Christianity or the Abrahamic picture of God at all. To begin with, there is actually overwhelming evidence that the Bible is false. The claims made in the Bible have already been demonstrated to be false. Jesus is said to have stated that those who believe in him will be able to drink poison and not be harmed by it. They should also be able to lay their hands on the sick and heal them. Even raise the dead. Yet clearly no one who claims to believe in Jesus can do any of these things.

Jesus also stated that he would do anything that is asked of him in his name. Yet this has also been demonstrated repeatedly to be false, even by the most devout believers.

Many of the claims made by Paul, a major author of the Christian New Testament, have also been demonstrated to clearly be false in ill-informed.

So, not only is there no evidence that the God described in the Bible exists, but there is actually overwhelming evidence that it cannot possibly exist, as described in the Bible.

As far as "evidence" for the existence of some sort of other more abstract concept of a higher entity being responsible for the existence of the universe, that is nothing more than a guess. There is no "evidence" to support that guess. The only "evidence" that theists have ever been able to claim has been nothing more than their subjective opinion that they can't understand how a universe could exist if it wasn't designed. The problem with this idea is that this doesn't help the argument for a preexisting infinitely complex and intelligent God existing, himself without a creator.

So no, there is no 'evidence' for any kind of God actually. But the Biblical God has been disproved by the Bible itself. The Biblical God simply cannot exist as described in the Bible. That's a given because the evidence to the contrary is overwhelming.
KingandPriest wrote: The evidence of the existence of God is often indirect. Just like the evidence we use to date the age of the sun or age of the universe. Even in our physical reality there are things which we claim to know with no direct knowledge or direct evidence. If you wish to discredit the evidence used to claim the existence of God, you should also discredit the evidence used to claim things like the composition of the earths core or the age of the sun. We know the existence of God by indirect evidence.

Do you take the position that we cannot know anything by indirect evidence?
I haven't seen any indirect "evidence" for the existence of a God. Especially anything that would even remotely compare with the scientific examples you have given.

For example, we can see the sun, and we can measure the radiation it gives off. We also know what the sun is made of by studying the spectral lines of the radiation it gives off. We understand nuclear fusion, and we can measure the size of the sun, both geometrically, and in terms of its mass. So we can basically calculate DIRECTLY from these observations how old the sun is. Not only can we determine how old it is, but we can even determine how much longer it will continue to burn.

I don't see how you can compare any of that with any so-called "indirect evidence" for the existence of a God. There doesn't need to be a God. That wouldn't explain anything anyway. An unexplained God hardly serves as an explanation for anything.

If you claim there had to have been a conscious sentient designer to design the universe simply because the universe is complex, then by that same logic you must also concede that a complex intelligent God would have also had to have been designed as well.

And if you allow that your God could have "just existed" without having been designed, then you are being inconsistent in your argument if you don't allow the same thing for the universe.

So no. There is absolutely no evidence that any type of God needs to exist.

And this is just yet another thing that Paul was grossly wrong about.
KingandPriest wrote: Why is this a false comparison. We know that God exists on the basis of testimony and indirect evidence which supports his existence. The same way we "know" the BBT, we know God exists. Way meaning through a combination of indirect evidence and faith. The BBT relies on a combination of indirect evidence and acceptance of certain claims as true. No direct evidence of these additional claims.

It is after we know God exists, that I compare having faith in God to having faith that the sun will come up tomorrow.
I totally reject your claims here. We do not know that a God exists in the same way we know the Big Bang Theory. To the contrary, the Big Bang Theory is based upon actual evidence of observing the universe. In fact, The Big Bang Theory cannot be wrong as it is actually stated in science. Keep in mind that BBT does not say anything about what might have given rise to the original start of the Big Bang. But the fact that a Big Bang happened we can be absolutely certain of.

Also, your comparison with observed data collected from the universe with "testimony" from religious theists is clearly FALSE. The problem with your comparison here is that "testimony" from theists is extremely erratic and is highly subjective and different from person to person. In fact, people from ALL RELIGIONS have given testimony to the existence of their various Gods. They can't all be true.

The observed data that leads us to an understanding of the BBT is constant among all those who measure it. Even those who deny the results typically concede that the data is real. And those who deny the results typically also have theological reasons for doing so.
KingandPriest wrote: Now I agree the method of how we know the sun exists is different than the method for how we know God exists. I am not comparing the method of how we know the sun exists with how we know God exists. I am comparing faith to faith.

Is it wrong to compare a "kind of fatih (or trust)" with another kind of faith?
Is it wrong to compare red apples to green apples?
Do you claim one "kind of fatih (or trust)" is soo different from another that no comparisons are possible?

Are red and green apples so different that it is impossible or incorrect to compare red apples to green apples?
I see the above as nothing more than an argument of semantics in an attempt to try to make something out of nothing.

The kind of faith that a theists needs to have to believe in a God is in no way the same kind of faith that a scientist has in the scientific method. The scientific method has PROVEN itself to be TRUE. The results cannot be argued with. It's perfectly legitimate to TRUST (i.e. have faith) in a means of inquire that has been proven over the centuries.

Comparing this will placing "faith" (even defined as trust) in a given religious mythology is not comparing red apples with green apples. This is talking about something entirely different altogether.

Science has PROVEN that it knows what it's talking about. Just ask anyone from Japan about Hiroshima or Nagasaki. Or on a less dramatic scale of things, just go visit a Nuclear Power Plant.

Science is TRUTH. Religious mythologies are not. And they have been proven to be false by their own doctrines. The Bible proves itself to be false many times over.

This doesn't mean that there "can't" be a higher entity of mystical nature. But if one exists the Hebrew Bible most certainly doesn't describe it, and neither do we have any convincing or compelling evidence for the existence of such an entity.

All an "atheist" say is that until such evidence can be brought forward they see no reason to believe in these claims of a supreme being.

Disclaimer: It is true that some atheists do claim that there is no God of any kind. But that goes beyond merely being an atheist. Such people are actually claiming to know something that even they can't know.

I do not personally claim that there cannot be a God of any kind.

I do, however, argue that the Bible cannot be true as written simply because it is filled with too many self-contradictions and obvious falsehoods.
[center]Image
[/center]