Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

If the Bible made sense

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

If the Bible made sense there would be no need for:

Fifty different versions (in English alone)
Forty thousand different Christian denominations (all claiming to know the right way)
Internecine competition within Christendom (arguing about what the Bible means)

Apologists attempting to 'explain what it really means'
Defense of far-fetched tales
Fancy footwork to excuse errors and contradictions
Plethora of 'interpretations'

Emotional appeals to convince people to believe
Indoctrination and reinforcement sessions / efforts
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #2

Post by OnceConvinced »

This is one of the biggest reasons I can no longer believe that Christianity is anything more than just another religion. Even those who claim to have the special holy spirit decoder still come to different conclusions than those other Christians who claim to have the special holy spirit decoder.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

gordsd
Apprentice

Re: If the Bible made sense

Post #3

Post by gordsd »

[Replying to post 1 by Zzyzx]

I think there was a very oppressive Jewish Temple cult. There was some guy named Jesus--a popular name at the time--who stood up to the narrow minded religious leaders of his time. The religious leaders got him killed because they hated him. Then there was a guy named Paul who realized just how oppressive the religion was and had a great idea: "I'm going to say that this really good but unfortunate Jesus was the sacrifice for sin in order to take away all this religious bullshit!!! He made up a bunch of stories and added a bunch of miracles and stuff to make the stories exciting in order to convince the people that the Temple Cult was bullshit, and it worked. The people stopped going to the Temple and felt free. However, as time went on, new leaders added to the teachings and convinced the people that if they did not give them money, they would burn in hell forever. So the tales which once freed people from religion grew into a new cult which oppressed them even more!

Monta
Guru

Post #4

Post by Monta »

gordsd wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Zzyzx]

I think there was a very oppressive Jewish Temple cult. There was some guy named Jesus--a popular name at the time--who stood up to the narrow minded religious leaders of his time. The religious leaders got him killed because they hated him. Then there was a guy named Paul who realized just how oppressive the religion was and had a great idea: "I'm going to say that this really good but unfortunate Jesus was the sacrifice for sin in order to take away all this religious bullshit!!! He made up a bunch of stories and added a bunch of miracles and stuff to make the stories exciting in order to convince the people that the Temple Cult was bullshit, and it worked. The people stopped going to the Temple and felt free. However, as time went on, new leaders added to the teachings and convinced the people that if they did not give them money, they would burn in hell forever. So the tales which once freed people from religion grew into a new cult which oppressed them even more!
Pure fantasy, boring, lack any intelligent input; made up story.

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #5

Post by benchwarmer »

Monta wrote:

Pure fantasy, boring, lack any intelligent input; made up story.
So you agree with us Monta? You describe much of the Bible so well.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by ttruscott »

Zzyzx wrote: .
If the Bible made sense there would be no need for;;;
anyone to search out the Holy Spirit to find out what He meant by what was written as part of HIS method of separating those who can be / are willing to be saved from those who cannot be, will never accept being saved...a distinction that those who find the Holy Spirit come to appreciate as they are brought along to holiness by Him.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by Zzyzx »

ttruscott wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: If the Bible made sense there would be no need for;;;
anyone to search out the Holy Spirit to find out what He meant by what was written as part of HIS method of separating those who can be / are willing to be saved from those who cannot be, will never accept being saved...a distinction that those who find the Holy Spirit come to appreciate as they are brought along to holiness by Him.
That is quite an imaginative tale.

Kindly tell readers how they can verify if any, part of it is true.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

gordsd
Apprentice

Post #8

Post by gordsd »

[Replying to post 6 by ttruscott]
The last contradiction I will mention is the way the “spirit� of God is taught. Jesus talked about the “spirit� of the law and those who blaspheme against the holy “spirit� as though every common person could understand what the will of the spirit is. However, in the book of John and the book of Acts the Holy Spirit is something which people receive later as a special dispensation or gift, and then there are gifts of the spirit too. To me, the latter is nonsense—maybe because I do not believe in miracles in the first place. Paul deals with this contradiction. Paul mentions those gentiles who have the law of God written on their hearts (Romans 2:14-16). Paul says circumcision is of the heart by the spirit of God (Romans 2:29). The contradiction comes about because the seemingly unconvertible hard hearts Paul talks about he explains in a theology of predestination. So if some understand the life of the spirit and others do not, Paul reckons such a life as a gift of God. Paul has a great insight but he does not have modern psychological language to describe what is going on. In modern psychological language, the ego gets in the way of love. Once a proud mind is made up, it is hard to change it. Jesus and the Pharisees is an example. So, if there is a judgment day as the Bible says, how could God judge those God did not give the Spirit to? Only those who know the right thing to do can be judged! So do some have the spirit and others do not? God gives the spirit to some but not to others? Yet people will be judged for not recognizing what the spirit wants? Is God just? All of this makes no sense at all!

Monta
Guru

Post #9

Post by Monta »

[Replying to post 8 by gordsd]

"Only those who know the right thing to do can be judged! So do some have the spirit and others do not? God gives the spirit to some but not to others? Yet people will be judged for not recognizing what the spirit wants? Is God just? All of this makes no sense at all!"

Don't we all know what is the right thing to do?

The Spirit that God gives is the Spirit of Truth as Jesus explained.
I is given to all genuine seekers of truth.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #10

Post by OnceConvinced »

:warning: Moderator Warning

Please refrain from using offensive language on this forum.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World