Your Thoughts

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

theStudent
Guru

Your Thoughts

Post #1

Post by theStudent »

There are many people who believe that we are not being told the truth about the universe.
One example of this is:
The sun is said to be about 93 million miles away from earth, and travelling at the speed of light, light reaches the earth about 8 minutes, 20 seconds.
If our eyes cannot see millions of miles in the distance, how can we see the shape of the sun, in the sky, in the same way we see the moon, both being about the same size.

What do you think?
How would you answer these questions?
John 8:32
. . .the truth will set you free.

Willum
Savant

Re: Your Thoughts

Post #21

Post by Willum »

theStudent wrote: There are many people who believe that we are not being told the truth about the universe.
One example of this is:
The sun is said to be about 93 million miles away from earth, and travelling at the speed of light, light reaches the earth about 8 minutes, 20 seconds.
If our eyes cannot see millions of miles in the distance, how can we see the shape of the sun, in the sky, in the same way we see the moon, both being about the same size.

What do you think?
Well this presents one hypothesis.
What are the rival ones we can compare them against and make an informed decisions.

If there is a working hypothesis, I am not suddenly going to jump off a bridge because someone says it's wrong, hoping to fly...
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #22

Post by DanieltheDragon »

[Replying to post 18 by theStudent]

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/list.html

Find a time date and location and see for yourself. Don't take my word for it make your own observation.
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #23

Post by McCulloch »

Genesis 1 wrote:Then God said, “Let there be an expanse in the midst of the waters, and let it separate the waters from the waters.� God made the expanse, and separated the waters which were below the expanse from the waters which were above the expanse; and it was so. God called the expanse heaven. And there was evening and there was morning, a second day.

Then God said, “Let there be lights in the expanse of the heavens to separate the day from the night, and let them be for signs and for seasons and for days and years; and let them be for lights in the expanse of the heavens to give light on the earth�; and it was so. God made the two great lights, the greater light to govern the day, and the lesser light to govern the night; He made the stars also. God placed them in the expanse of the heavens to give light on the earth, and to govern the day and the night, and to separate the light from the darkness; and God saw that it was good. There was evening and there was morning, a fourth day.
This is really clear. There is water above and there is water below. Between the water below and the water above there is a great expanse. In this expanse, there are two great lights. The greater one rules the day and the lesser one rules the night.
From top to bottom:
  • water above
  • expanse containing sun and moon
  • water below, separated from the land into seas
Evidence carefully done and confirmed repeatedly tells a different story. From furthest away to nearest earth:
  • sun
  • moon
  • apmospheric water
  • terrestrial water
Now, either you believe the biblical account or you don't. I don't.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

theStudent
Guru

Post #24

Post by theStudent »

[Replying to post 23 by McCulloch]

That one is a bomber (good argument) - provided it was understood in the light of the Genesis account..

If you had paid attention to my post [Here]

It said
Previously, on the first “day,� the expression “Let light come to be� was used. The Hebrew word there used for “light� is ’ohr, meaning light in a general sense. But on the fourth “day,� the Hebrew word changes to ma·’ohrʹ, which means the source of the light. Rotherham, in a footnote on “Luminaries� in the Emphasised Bible, says: “In ver. 3, ’ôr [’ohr], light diffused.� Then he goes on to show that the Hebrew word ma·’ohrʹ in verse 14 means something “affording light.� On the first “day� diffused light evidently penetrated the swaddling bands, but the sources of that light could not have been seen by an earthly observer because of the cloud layers still enveloping the earth. Now, on this fourth “day,� things apparently changed.
�וֹר
'ôr
ore
illumination or (concretely) luminary (in every sense, including lightning, happiness, etc.): - bright, clear, + day, light (-ning), morning, sun.

מְ�ֹרָה מְ�וֹרָה מָ�ֹר מָ�וֹר
mâ'ôr mâ'ôr me'ôrâh me'ôrâh
(1,2) maw-ore', (3,4) meh-o-raw'
properly a luminous body or luminary, that is, (abstractly) light (as an element); figuratively brightness, that is, cheerfulness; specifically a chandelier: - bright, light.

So correctly, the source of light is seen in the expanse.
It's not saying that God brought the sun into the expanse.

I believe the Bible's account 1000%.
We must know what we believe, right?
How else can we make informed decisions?

I don't believe life evolved from one common ancestor, but you do.
I don't believe we die, and return as some other lifeform, but others do.

That's all fine imo.
John 8:32
. . .the truth will set you free.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #25

Post by OnceConvinced »

theStudent wrote:
What do you think?
I'll go by what the bible teaches us. Stars are little things sitting in the firmament that can fall to the earth without doing too much damage. The sun is just a slightly larger one of those according to what God's word says.

Yeah, I can go along with that. Science and reality can go jump.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

zjsd26
Student

Post #26

Post by zjsd26 »

Those are just some explanations to identify how amazing our world is. That's a mystery and we may never know. The Sun and The Moon are both very important and critical to have in our solar system. How can see the sun even to get there is about 93 million miles, is simply because our universe is expanding, our solar system and galaxy is grappling growing and getting bigger. I'm not a scientist, but I always found myself enjoying these topics.

Derrrpp
Student

Post #27

Post by Derrrpp »

Sorry $20K BFA here- Im going with chiaroscuro. In the distance Mt Sinai appears different and changes as i approach- proving (a model) to me that the light information is traversing a media. And the heat is consistent with campfire experience of temperature/volume. If mass is real then the heat (infrared radiation in continuous stream with that of visible light) from a superceded distance that my eyes accept also microwaves me.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #28

Post by ttruscott »

theStudent wrote: There are many people who believe that we are not being told the truth about the universe.
One example of this is:

What do you think?
Well Student, eyes do not see distance...they see only light that hits the eye. This means that seeing farther than someone else is a misnomer that really means that with the data hitting the eye, one eye can evaluate more data than the other eye. The sun does not rise and go down, we do... same problem, no one sees at a distance.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

terrydactyl
Student

Post #29

Post by terrydactyl »

I haven't seen an adequate answer to you question so I thought I'd answer.
theStudent wrote: The sun is said to be about 93 million miles away from earth, and travelling at the speed of light, light reaches the earth about 8 minutes, 20 seconds.
First, it is not said that the sun is 93 million miles away, it has been demonstrated so. To explain, let take the next statement "our eyes cannot see millions of miles in the distance". I assume you mean we can't judge the distance. But take a tree across a valley, I can't even judge that distance. But i can use geometry to do it. I assume the questioner will accept the rules of geometry, otherwise this conversation is over. Geometry was used in the 1700's the calculate the distance to Venus. The key was that the ratio of Venus' and Earth's orbit were known by simple geometric measurements. The distance to Venus was determined from a transit of Venus. Hence, the distance to the sun.

My point is that science never says something is so. It demonstrates how we know it is so. If you don't believe it then challenge how they got to the answer. Not the claim.

Kenisaw
Guru

Post #30

Post by Kenisaw »

One example of this is:

What do you think?
I think I would start off by pointing out that the distance from it has nothing to do with being able to see it. What matters is if photons from an object can reach our eyes, and can do so in enough quantity that our vision system can detect it out of all the other photons the eyes are receiving from other objects.

What you are asking about is how the eye works, not about the distance of the Sun or any other object...