Explain the Flood.

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Explain the Flood.

Post #1

Post by McCulloch »

KingandPriest wrote:There are simulations which explain how the flood in Genesis could have occurred. Many reject the calculations because of the source, rather than the math and simulations themselves. If the math is wrong, that is one thing, but if the math is correct but rejected because it is based on a biblical theory, this is an inconsistent approach to analyzing information.
Are there any simulations which explain how the flood described in the Book of Genesis could have actually occurred? Are any of these simulations consistent with what is known about geology, meteorology, chemistry, physics, biology, archeology, and cosmology?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Neatras
Guru

Re: Explain the Flood.

Post #71

Post by Neatras »

[Replying to post 69 by William]

I don't honestly believe that argument is worth my time. In the interest of saving my precious time, I'll just refer to a post made by a very astute redditor. I hope that by properly sourcing his name and argument I can avoid making any rules infractions without having to slam my head against a wall arguing against hydroplate nonsense.

GuyInAChair wrote: Oh goodness is the hydro-plate theory one of the most ridiulous things ever proposed by a creationist, ever.
"For those that don't know, Walt Brown proposed that for some reason the "fountains of the deep" broke open, which caused the mid-Atlantic ridge to form and pushed the continents to accelerate to highways speeds, because they fell down a hill. Here's his explanation, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD9ZGt9UA-U
Obviously something the size of North America moving at highway speeds is going to require a lot of energy. NA, is pretty darn big, and pretty darn heavy. I roughly figured it out, I figured the crust is some 150 km deep, which would give me a volume of ~3,000,000,000 km^3. I assumed it made entirely of Feldspar, which has a density of 2,500,000,000,000 kg/km^3. My rough math has NA weighing in at 7 *10^21 kg... that's a big number. Let's write it out just to see how big it is.
7,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 kg
Well since we know that the entire thing is moving at 20 m/s we can figure out the kenetic energy it has. That would be the energy needed to both start and stop the entire continent to highway speeds (that needs to be said again to highlight just how absurd this is)
KE = 0.5 × mass × velocity^2 or KE = 0.5 (7*10^21)^(20^2)
The answer is, 1.4 *10^24 J. That again is a really, huge, bigly, number. And that's just the Kinetic energy it has, it doesn't include the energy needed to accelerate it, friction, wind resistance (!?!?) etc.
1.4 * 10^24 Joules of energy can boil every last drop of water on the entire planet, 100 times over
All of this happened... because North America fell down a hill! Of course God decided that he liked Iceland and spared it from ripping in 2 even though the mid-Alantic ridge runs right through it. http://c8.alamy.com/comp/B1TYJK/mid-atlantic-ridge-fault-line-thingvellir-national-park-iceland-B1TYJK.jpg How does Walt Brown explain this catasrophic event throwing entire continents around like rag dolls in one area, and in the next making a nice hiking trail? He doesn't.
There's just so much else wrong with this it becomes an exercise in calculating the absurd. Using an asteroid impact calculator tool, I get even more crazy effects of an North American sized ateriod hitting the earth at 20m/s. Like a magnitude 11.5 earthquake on the exact opposite side of the earth. A shock-wave traveling at 300 km/h on the opposite side of the earth (yes the shock wave will circle the earth, several times in fact) a 1500 ft Tsunami.
Seriously, this is extra special [sic] Crazy, someone with more time on their hands could probably find 28 other things wrong with this."

Rufus21
Scholar

Post #72

Post by Rufus21 »

ttruscott wrote:
Rufus21 wrote: Because they didn't correct the mistakes. They took a popular myth and changed the names of the characters, but all the mistakes are still there.
Not if every difference was a correction...
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. I have to assume that you are. Presumably we are all able to tell the difference between historical revisionism and plagiarism.

William
Savant

Post #73

Post by William »

[Replying to post 70 by Neatras]

Yes indeed. When I was watching the video I was thinking about the massive amounts of energy let loose all at once and couldn't think how anyone could survive such a thing, or how an ark would not be turned into toothpicks.

The sure and steady way of the evolution of matter into form also included vast amounts of energy but in relation to earth and shaping grand canyons etc, these would have to have taken place in a more orderly fashion within time and space.

Sure, there is evidence of catastrophic happenings which did wipe out great chunks of biological life forms, and floods had their part to play, but the whole idea involved with the video seems to be to want to squash time and space into a period of thousands of years rather than billions, just for the sake of trying to support a story because it is written in the bible and the bible is considered the infallible word of a GOD.