As a believer, do you expect the universe to be consistent?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

DeMotts
Scholar

As a believer, do you expect the universe to be consistent?

Post #1

Post by DeMotts »

I've been watching a lot of TAG videos lately (Transcendental Argument for God) and they mostly boil down to the argument that all understanding of reality must be based on an acknowledgement of god as creator, and failing to do so (i.e. a naturalist stance) results in using one's own reason and faculties to observe and explain the universe - and because an individual has no means to externally validate their own reason there is no basis for truth or objectivity.

The bible is obviously full of supernatural events: resurrections, water into wine, burning bushes, parting the red sea, etc etc. I feel I can safely say that christians generally believe that god is all powerful, and capable of changing the universe to suit his or her needs. What we would define as the "laws of physics" are malleable, and can be altered or violated for the purposes of god's will or plan.

As a believer would you agree that the universe can completely change at any given moment based on the whim of god? Do you feel you have a reasonable expectation of consistency in the universe? Why? Are these feelings based on absolute truths revealed through scripture, or based on observations of our universe as you experience it?

DeMotts
Scholar

Re: As a believer, do you expect the universe to be consiste

Post #2

Post by DeMotts »

[Replying to post 1 by DeMotts]

Maybe I should have posted this in another forum. :(

marco
Savant

Re: As a believer, do you expect the universe to be consiste

Post #3

Post by marco »

DeMotts wrote:
I've been watching a lot of TAG videos lately (Transcendental Argument for God) and they mostly boil down to the argument that all understanding of reality must be based on an acknowledgement of god as creator, and failing to do so (i.e. a naturalist stance) results in using one's own reason and faculties to observe and explain the universe - and because an individual has no means to externally validate their own reason there is no basis for truth or objectivity.
Having God explain creation is certainly convenient. Ancient people used the same method to explain the appearance and disappearance of the sun and moon. Man's natural curiosity seeks a reason for things happening and things being as they are.

But if we don't accept a God explanation there is no compulsion on us to devise an alternative explanation. We can't, and that's that. Perhaps one day someone will. But our inability should not drive us into the simplistic. We should be humble enough to say we've no idea how it all came about.