Why are there so few christian here?

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

juliod
Guru

Why are there so few christian here?

Post #1

Post by juliod »

This is a great forum for debate. The moderators do a good job of keeping things under control without stopping anyone from posting.

Yet the most observable fact here is the reletive lack of christian posters.

I would expect there to be a lot more, given the popularity of amateur apologetics, and the biblical admonition to spread the faith.

I have a theory that is worthy of debate. I say that religion can only exist in protected environments. There must be an authority that prevents heretics and atheists from engaging in debate on equal grounds. Were there is no such authority, atheists carry the day.

I've seen lots of theist web forums. Invariably they use their administrator powers to support the theist side. It eventually becomes impossible to participate as an atheist. I take my writing seriously, and hate it when I feel that the moderator may delete my article because I say something he just can't bear to hear.

DanZ

Tilia
Guru

Post #31

Post by Tilia »

OccamsRazor wrote:
Tilia wrote:The anti-Christ posters have mostly long since abandoned the unmoderated groups, because they know they are on a hiding to nothing in such places. They huddle together under the protection of 'moderation'.
Surely this is exactly what non-Christians do not do. The point is that many atheists say that they come to these forums because they are allow to express a non-Christian view without fear of moderators removing their posts.
Saying it does not make it true.
Tilia wrote:atheists, Mohammedans, Catholics and Calvinists simply lie when cornered. It is somewhat amusing to note that they are often evidently of rather low intelligence, too. One can tell this because, when their logic or facts have been found wanting (and they always are, if the Christian is experienced; or even if not), there is quite often a delay in posting a reply- and it then contains either a blatant lie, a claim not to understand for some absurd reason, or a personal attack.
I'm sorry but I have to back-up HughDP here. It is not an unfounded "nasty implied slur" to suggest that your statement here suggests that atheists, Muslims, Catholics and Calvinists are liars of low intelligence, this implies a fundamental lack of respect for their beliefs does it not?
If these people are of low intelligence, why is it lack of respect?

OccamsRazor
Scholar

Post #32

Post by OccamsRazor »

Tilia wrote:If these people are of low intelligence, why is it lack of respect?
If you believe that someone is of low intelligence or is a liar surely that means that you do not respect their point of view?
Your statements indicate that Muslims, atheists, etc. are of low intelligence or are lying, you therefore do not respect their point of view.

(Edit: added the following)
Tilia wrote:Saying it does not make it true.
I have looked at this statement in response to my own. I still do not understand what you mean by this.
Last edited by OccamsRazor on Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

otseng
Savant

Post #33

Post by otseng »

Well, I guess I have to step in here as a moderator...

Tilia, your comments about "rather low intelligence" and the "most evil and indeed stupid people" are unnecessary. Whether it is true or not is not relevent. DCR forum etiquette, if not the rules, discourage saying anything disparaging about others. So, let's avoid making any comments about others, off the board or on. Thanks.

HughDP
Scholar

Post #34

Post by HughDP »

Tilia wrote:
OccamsRazor wrote:
Tilia wrote:atheists, Mohammedans, Catholics and Calvinists simply lie when cornered. It is somewhat amusing to note that they are often evidently of rather low intelligence, too. One can tell this because, when their logic or facts have been found wanting (and they always are, if the Christian is experienced; or even if not), there is quite often a delay in posting a reply- and it then contains either a blatant lie, a claim not to understand for some absurd reason, or a personal attack.
I'm sorry but I have to back-up HughDP here. It is not an unfounded "nasty implied slur" to suggest that your statement here suggests that atheists, Muslims, Catholics and Calvinists are liars of low intelligence, this implies a fundamental lack of respect for their beliefs does it not?
If these people are of low intelligence, why is it lack of respect?
What is it that makes you certain they are of low intelligence though?

Don't you think there are varying degrees of intelligence shown amongst athiests, Muslims, Catholics, Calvinists etc. in the same way that there are amongst Christians or any other group of people?

The reason I asked about the lack of respect was because it seems to like a sweeping generalisation to mark an entire group of people as low intelligence simply because of their religious beliefs.

Tilia
Guru

Re: Why are there so few christian here?

Post #35

Post by Tilia »

juliod wrote:This is a great forum for debate. The moderators do a good job of keeping things under control without stopping anyone from posting.

Yet the most observable fact here is the reletive lack of christian posters.

I would expect there to be a lot more, given the popularity of amateur apologetics, and the biblical admonition to spread the faith.

I have a theory that is worthy of debate. I say that religion can only exist in protected environments. There must be an authority that prevents heretics and atheists from engaging in debate on equal grounds. Were there is no such authority, atheists carry the day.

I've seen lots of theist web forums. Invariably they use their administrator powers to support the theist side. It eventually becomes impossible to participate as an atheist. I take my writing seriously, and hate it when I feel that the moderator may delete my article because I say something he just can't bear to hear.

DanZ
"DCR forum etiquette, if not the rules, discourage saying anything disparaging about others."

QED.

OccamsRazor
Scholar

Post #36

Post by OccamsRazor »

Tilia wrote:"DCR forum etiquette, if not the rules, discourage saying anything disparaging about others."
QED.
Tilia there is a difference between saying "I do not agree with your assertion" and "You are stupid". The point is that you should not simply tell someone that they have low intelligence or that they are lying purely because you disagree with them. You should show others respect for their beliefs as you would want people to respect your own.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #37

Post by McCulloch »

DanZ wrote:I've seen lots of theist web forums. Invariably they use their administrator powers to support the theist side. It eventually becomes impossible to participate as an atheist. I take my writing seriously, and hate it when I feel that the moderator may delete my article because I say something he just can't bear to hear.
Just one small example:
123 ChristianForums.net - Our Ten Commandments wrote:1 - This is a Christian site, therefore, any attempt to put down Christianity and the basic tenets of our Faith will be considered a hostile act. Statement of Faith Active promotion of sinful behavior will not be permitted. This includes promotion of homosexual behavior. Individual restrictions may apply on a Forum to Forum basis. Please check the announcements and stickeys at the top of each Forum. ...
3 - No active promotion of other Faiths is allowed.
With rules like that, one could hardly expect an unbiased examination of both sides of any issue.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

HughDP
Scholar

Post #38

Post by HughDP »

McCulloch wrote:
DanZ wrote:I've seen lots of theist web forums. Invariably they use their administrator powers to support the theist side. It eventually becomes impossible to participate as an atheist. I take my writing seriously, and hate it when I feel that the moderator may delete my article because I say something he just can't bear to hear.
Just one small example:
123 ChristianForums.net - Our Ten Commandments wrote:1 - This is a Christian site, therefore, any attempt to put down Christianity and the basic tenets of our Faith will be considered a hostile act. Statement of Faith Active promotion of sinful behavior will not be permitted. This includes promotion of homosexual behavior. Individual restrictions may apply on a Forum to Forum basis. Please check the announcements and stickeys at the top of each Forum. ...
3 - No active promotion of other Faiths is allowed.
With rules like that, one could hardly expect an unbiased examination of both sides of any issue.
Well personally I don't object to that as long as such a forum doesn't try to pass itself off as representing something other than it is. It would be worse if it claimed to be a pan-religious board representing balanced views and then censored anything against Christianity.

In reality a forum's owner can do what he/she likes, but it's fairer and will probably retain members a bit longer if they're up front about the rules.

I did notice that they haven't got the first clue about Buddhism, yet appear to have made a Jesus v Buddha comparison at some length (although I'll grant them it's an easy mistake to make). But that's a by-the-by.

Tilia
Guru

Post #39

Post by Tilia »

McCulloch wrote:
Just one small example:

Are there many more?

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #40

Post by McCulloch »

Tilia wrote:Are there many more?
I don't know. I do know from personal experience that Bible Prophecy Forum also limits heretical expression.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John