Why are there so few christian here?

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

juliod
Guru

Why are there so few christian here?

Post #1

Post by juliod »

This is a great forum for debate. The moderators do a good job of keeping things under control without stopping anyone from posting.

Yet the most observable fact here is the reletive lack of christian posters.

I would expect there to be a lot more, given the popularity of amateur apologetics, and the biblical admonition to spread the faith.

I have a theory that is worthy of debate. I say that religion can only exist in protected environments. There must be an authority that prevents heretics and atheists from engaging in debate on equal grounds. Were there is no such authority, atheists carry the day.

I've seen lots of theist web forums. Invariably they use their administrator powers to support the theist side. It eventually becomes impossible to participate as an atheist. I take my writing seriously, and hate it when I feel that the moderator may delete my article because I say something he just can't bear to hear.

DanZ

Easyrider

Re: Why are there so few christian here?

Post #2

Post by Easyrider »

juliod wrote:This is a great forum for debate. The moderators do a good job of keeping things under control without stopping anyone from posting.

Yet the most observable fact here is the reletive lack of christian posters.

I would expect there to be a lot more, given the popularity of amateur apologetics, and the biblical admonition to spread the faith.

I have a theory that is worthy of debate. I say that religion can only exist in protected environments. There must be an authority that prevents heretics and atheists from engaging in debate on equal grounds. Were there is no such authority, atheists carry the day.

I've seen lots of theist web forums. Invariably they use their administrator powers to support the theist side. It eventually becomes impossible to participate as an atheist. I take my writing seriously, and hate it when I feel that the moderator may delete my article because I say something he just can't bear to hear.

DanZ
I'm your Huckleberry - here to represent the Christian viewpoint.

I've invited a few others but don't see them yet. Maybe they'll show up when they're done in the forums they're presently in.

Scrotum
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by Scrotum »

This question got answered by another forum a couple of weeks ago (Bible Prophecy Forum);

The simple fact is, this is not a "True Christian" board (according to them). A True One (tm), would not even allow any atheist around. And this place, is atheist infected, hence, hardly any Christians (obviously). Atheist are logical and intelligent, do you really think Christians want to debate does kind of people?

Slim minority will, Otseng because he is more open for logic, and probably deep onside knows theism is ludicrous, and people like Al/John, whom for me, are more or less insane, and dont have much else to do in life.

harvey1
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by harvey1 »

juliod wrote:Yet the most observable fact here is the reletive lack of christian posters. I would expect there to be a lot more, given the popularity of amateur apologetics, and the biblical admonition to spread the faith.
Well, Christian posts make up the largest number of posts on this forum. In addition, both Osteng and I have the largest number of posts and we are both Christian (although my posts would not show up as Christian since I'm not a "joiner" type person).
juliod wrote:I have a theory that is worthy of debate. I say that religion can only exist in protected environments. There must be an authority that prevents heretics and atheists from engaging in debate on equal grounds. Were there is no such authority, atheists carry the day.
And who's army? No way. My arguments have demolished atheist arguments, and I could raise a number of issues once again to show that this is the case. I won't let such dogmatic statements go unchallenged.
juliod wrote:I've seen lots of theist web forums. Invariably they use their administrator powers to support the theist side. It eventually becomes impossible to participate as an atheist. I take my writing seriously, and hate it when I feel that the moderator may delete my article because I say something he just can't bear to hear.
Personally, I think too much gets unmoderated here. For example, no way should a forum allow atheists to confuse the term with agnosticism. This is philosophy, and academic publications define atheism as opposed to agnosticism. It really peeves me that this is not corrected by moderators, and I thought about leaving this site once or twice in protest.

harvey1
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by harvey1 »

Scrotum wrote:Atheist are logical and intelligent, do you really think Christians want to debate does kind of people? Slim minority will, Otseng because he is more open for logic, and probably deep onside knows theism is ludicrous, and people like Al/John, whom for me, are more or less insane, and dont have much else to do in life.
Dogma, dogma, dogma. Where are the facts? I've posted more than anyone and I am a Christian. I also don't see much of anything logical about atheism other than the thrill of having a "James Dean" persona.

HughDP
Scholar

Post #6

Post by HughDP »

Scrotum wrote:The simple fact is, this is not a "True Christian" board (according to them). A True One (tm), would not even allow any atheist around.
If the above is true and the purpose of those other boards is to debate Christianity in the general sense, then I don't think that's a good advert for Christianity. Suppressing contrary beliefs is hardly a good grounding for religious debate.

I guess I can understand it if a board is specifically about debating the details of doctrinal interpretation from a Christian standpoint or something similar: they may get fed up with people questioning the root ideas of Christianity (God, Jesus etc.) if the board is not set up for that purpose.

Joe Blackbird
Apprentice

Post #7

Post by Joe Blackbird »

juliod wrote: ... the most observable fact here is the reletive lack of christian posters.
I have a theory that I can't prove, but here it is.

I think many Christians feel that to even engage in debate is to open the doorway to doubt. This place is great for those of us who have tough questions and like to be analytical, but a Christian who is content with his or her own world-view would have no purpose in coming here. I think many of the Christians who do come here do so because they either harbor secret doubts and would like to know about other points of view, or because they hope they can save some people here who they believe are lost. Some get frustrated and leave, others stay and grow in their faith. This site attracts only certain types of Christians- others find it repellant.

HughDP
Scholar

Post #8

Post by HughDP »

harvey1 wrote: For example, no way should a forum allow atheists to confuse the term with agnosticism. This is philosophy, and academic publications define atheism as opposed to agnosticism. It really peeves me that this is not corrected by moderators, and I thought about leaving this site once or twice in protest.
I don't know why we have to categorise ourselves all the time.

Sometimes I'll take an athiest viewpoint, sometimes an agnostic viewpoint. Occasionally I'll even take a Christian viewpoint. I don't even like to be classified as a Buddhist (although that has my 'official' philosophy for the last 20 years if I had to name one).

I just like to think of it as having certain views in response to other peoples views for the purposes of interest, debate and education.

otseng
Savant

Post #9

Post by otseng »

(I've moved this thread to General Chat since it doesn't really seem to be a debate topic.)
Scrotum wrote:TSlim minority will, Otseng because he is more open for logic, and probably deep onside knows theism is ludicrous
That's right, theism is ludicrous... but Christianity is the one true way. ;)
harvey1 wrote:Personally, I think too much gets unmoderated here. For example, no way should a forum allow atheists to confuse the term with agnosticism. This is philosophy, and academic publications define atheism as opposed to agnosticism. It really peeves me that this is not corrected by moderators, and I thought about leaving this site once or twice in protest.
Boy, I didn't realize that this issue would cause you to leave the forum! But I am glad you haven't left. :)
juliod wrote:I take my writing seriously, and hate it when I feel that the moderator may delete my article because I say something he just can't bear to hear.
As long as the posts follow the rules, we do not have any problems with what is said. Moderators rarely modify (or delete) any posts. And the several cases in which it has happened have been accidental modifications.
juliod wrote:Yet the most observable fact here is the reletive lack of christian posters.
I think it depends on the combination of the schedule of the liturgical calendar, the demands of careers, the responsibilities of parents, and the phase of the moon. Sometimes Christians are quite active here, sometimes they are very quiet.

Myself, I'm still in a transition period, so I can't devote much time to debating. But, I do try to stay on top of admining duties. After I settle down in the house move, a career move, a church move, and when all the kids can sleep through the night, then I think I should have some free time to rack up my debate tokens again.

harvey1
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by harvey1 »

HughDP wrote:I don't know why we have to categorise ourselves all the time. Sometimes I'll take an athiest viewpoint, sometimes an agnostic viewpoint. Occasionally I'll even take a Christian viewpoint. I don't even like to be classified as a Buddhist (although that has my 'official' philosophy for the last 20 years if I had to name one). I just like to think of it as having certain views in response to other peoples views for the purposes of interest, debate and education.
That's fine as long as you don't classify yourself incorrectly. I'm frustrated by this because it does not respect the norms that have been accepted in professional circles. I don't think that it makes for a profitable debate to allow people to abuse philosophical or scientific terms if it is clearly demonstrated what is the correct academic definition (or within the range of a correct definition). IMHO.
Last edited by harvey1 on Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.