Why are there so few christian here?

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

juliod
Guru

Why are there so few christian here?

Post #1

Post by juliod »

This is a great forum for debate. The moderators do a good job of keeping things under control without stopping anyone from posting.

Yet the most observable fact here is the reletive lack of christian posters.

I would expect there to be a lot more, given the popularity of amateur apologetics, and the biblical admonition to spread the faith.

I have a theory that is worthy of debate. I say that religion can only exist in protected environments. There must be an authority that prevents heretics and atheists from engaging in debate on equal grounds. Were there is no such authority, atheists carry the day.

I've seen lots of theist web forums. Invariably they use their administrator powers to support the theist side. It eventually becomes impossible to participate as an atheist. I take my writing seriously, and hate it when I feel that the moderator may delete my article because I say something he just can't bear to hear.

DanZ

Tilia
Guru

Post #51

Post by Tilia »

McCulloch wrote:
Tilia wrote:What if they want to vigorously debate matters of moment to them? Is that illegitimate?
You cannot vigorously debate anything in a closed forum.
Many have lost their lives in causes which were enclosed in the equivalent of closed forums, never mind lose their hot tempers.
Vigorous debate requires a fair and balanced evaluation of all applicable evidence.
That is to pre-suppose that no worldview can be truthful, i.e. that there is no such thing as truth. Proving that takes some doing, I would say.

Master Coelacanth
Student

Post #52

Post by Master Coelacanth »

My arguments have demolished atheist arguments
In your dreams.
To demolish any atheist argument you should prove God. Did you prove God? Where? I'm sure everybody wants to see your fantastic demonstration...

nanikore
Student

Post #53

Post by nanikore »

Master Coelacanth wrote:
My arguments have demolished atheist arguments
In your dreams.
To demolish any atheist argument you should prove God. Did you prove God? Where? I'm sure everybody wants to see your fantastic demonstration...

No. All one has to do is to show that there is no way to disproof. Then you'd have the agnostic position.

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #54

Post by Cathar1950 »

Hey nanikore I like the cow. But when it turns it's head it looks like it has two heads sort of.

nanikore
Student

Post #55

Post by nanikore »

Cathar1950 wrote:Hey nanikore I like the cow. But when it turns it's head it looks like it has two heads sort of.
That is creepy :blink: I never saw it that way until now

What creeped people out in the past was how it walks and its spots which seem to be the reverse of a normal milk cow :)

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Re: Why are there so few christian here?

Post #56

Post by The Nice Centurion »

juliod wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:25 pm This is a great forum for debate. The moderators do a good job of keeping things under control without stopping anyone from posting.

Yet the most observable fact here is the reletive lack of christian posters.

I would expect there to be a lot more, given the popularity of amateur apologetics, and the biblical admonition to spread the faith.

I have a theory that is worthy of debate. I say that religion can only exist in protected environments. There must be an authority that prevents heretics and atheists from engaging in debate on equal grounds. Were there is no such authority, atheists carry the day.

I've seen lots of theist web forums. Invariably they use their administrator powers to support the theist side. It eventually becomes impossible to participate as an atheist. I take my writing seriously, and hate it when I feel that the moderator may delete my article because I say something he just can't bear to hear.

DanZ
The lack of christians here indeed is sad and remarkable. I heard that in this forums earlyer years this was different.

My 5 cents on that is: Cognitive Dissonance is not gained easily but has to be cared for and protected.

First one should pray on a regular basis, for we cant expect from the priests to them alone fed us with enough indictronation to keep the Cognitive Dissonance alive.

Then a believer also realizes that he needs to protect his own mind from escaping the cage it lives in.

Please only allow critique allegedly and only for the sake of religious propaganda.

For instance; I know no muslim forum out there where a sceptic may REALLY tackle Islam with powerful critique.

Mormon forums also protect themselves from such.

Mormons are not allowed to touch anti-mormon information.
and I suppose that they consider everything the other side of Hugh Nibley anti-mormon.

Christians, no doubt, tend to warn each other off from joining this forum, because participating here could endanger Cognitive Dissonance.
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"

otseng
Savant

Post #57

Post by otseng »

The Nice Centurion wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:56 am For instance; I know no muslim forum out there where a sceptic may REALLY tackle Islam with powerful critique.
Mormon forums also protect themselves from such.
And that sets this forum apart from other religious forums. Open debate and attack on Christianity are welcomed and everyone is on a level playing field.
Christians, no doubt, tend to warn each other off from joining this forum, because participating here could endanger Cognitive Dissonance.
I highly doubt Christians are warning other Christians not to debate here. I'd say over 99.999% of Christians don't even know about this forum. And if they do, they are not talking to others about this forum.

As for cognitive dissonance, skeptics are also not lacking in this area. We all have biases and most are not willing to challenge our own beliefs.

nanikore
Student

Post #58

Post by nanikore »

[Replying to The Nice Centurion in post #56]

It didn't cause me any "cognitive dissonance."

(I don't know how I got an email notice after all this time. Well, anyhow...)

Debating about articles of faith is a waste of time. What would be the point? You don't convince people in or out of beliefs; That's not the way beliefs work.

People can suit themselves if they want to attempt the futile endeavor of trying to argue random people on the internet out of their beliefs. If the goal is to spread the gospel, there are better means than arguing with people. If the goal is to somehow "prove" Christians are "wrong," well, please also feel like spending time uselessly that way.

Again, reference William James. People either have some sort of experiential connection, or they simply don't. Read what he had to say: https://krypton.mnsu.edu/~jp6372me/THE% ... EVE%20.pdf

Good luck.

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #59

Post by The Nice Centurion »

Joe Blackbird wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:48 pm
juliod wrote: ... the most observable fact here is the reletive lack of christian posters.
I have a theory that I can't prove, but here it is.

I think many Christians feel that to even engage in debate is to open the doorway to doubt. This place is great for those of us who have tough questions and like to be analytical, but a Christian who is content with his or her own world-view would have no purpose in coming here. I think many of the Christians who do come here do so because they either harbor secret doubts and would like to know about other points of view, or because they hope they can save some people here who they believe are lost. Some get frustrated and leave, others stay and grow in their faith. This site attracts only certain types of Christians- others find it repellant.
But in the very first time of this forum it was a rather christian dominated forum? Is that right?

Now i remember from years back interesting members who are here not anymore.

Dianaid for example was a LDS and even moderator here.
I tried to make her more open minded toward the Joseph Smith bible, which LDS somehow more like to hide under their beds, with the goal of getting better accepted by mainstream christianity.
She was very active here.

Far Wanderer from Japan gave a very good intelligentanswer in my thread about Actual Witnesses for The Resurrection.

I want both back! And all the others who have left too!

Perhaps a nice side effect from reviewing old threads is that old members could be pushed to return if forum sends them automated email about someone answering their topics🐨🐻🐺
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"

otseng
Savant

Post #60

Post by otseng »

The Nice Centurion wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:01 pm But in the very first time of this forum it was a rather christian dominated forum? Is that right?
It's never been dominated by Christians, ever since the very beginning. I have no idea why non-Christians can be so active debating Christianity.
Now i remember from years back interesting members who are here not anymore.
Yes, we've had a lot of interesting people here in the past 20 years.
Perhaps a nice side effect from reviewing old threads is that old members could be pushed to return if forum sends them automated email about someone answering their topics🐨🐻🐺
O:)