Pressing matters of the day and of all time, debated among thoughtful participants of all faiths

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 124, 125, 126, 127, 128  Next

Reply to topic
onewithhim
First Post
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:25 am  Paradise on Earth Reply with quote

When I learned that the Bible speaks of a restored Garden of Eden and the restoration of mankind to the perfection and endless life that Adam forfeited, I was thrilled. Who doesn't want to keep living on this beautiful earth, with our loved ones, and being able to do all the things we love to do---endlessly?

If God said to you today, "When do you want to die?" would you say "now!!"? I don't think very many people would say that.

We CAN live forever here on Earth. The Bible tells us that we can.

Matthew 5:5
Psalm 37:9-11,29
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 1261: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:40 pm
Reply

Like this post (1): onewithhim
[quote="marco"]
brianbbs67 wrote:


My point was don't expect others to like you as well when you speak truth. Truth divides. This is what I mean and what Yeshua meant. Keep seeking.


Quote:
People's false idea of what truth is can divide. One can sympathise with outrageous ideas - I personally find it sad to hear people talk of some future situation where science is bludgeoned to make way for dreams.


Science vs dreams?

What I find sad is to hear people talk of some past situation as if they know the unknown and unknowable.

Quote:
Had Christ's message been fulfilled 100 years after his execution that would perhaps have seemed a long time, compared to human existence. 2000 years is evidence that we got Christ wrong and Christ got it wrong as well. Of course it is sad that people are disappointed, but death ultimately brings eternal comfort.


Christ didn't get it wrong, we did, and many still do.

Those close to him are not disappointed, as we have already begun our eternal comfort.

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 1262: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:51 am
Reply

Like this post
marco wrote:

brianbbs67 wrote:


My point was don't expect others to like you as well when you speak truth. Truth divides. This is what I mean and what Yeshua meant. Keep seeking.


People's false idea of what truth is can divide. One can sympathise with outrageous ideas - I personally find it sad to hear people talk of some future situation where science is bludgeoned to make way for dreams.

Had Christ's message been fulfilled 100 years after his execution that would perhaps have seemed a long time, compared to human existence. 2000 years is evidence that we got Christ wrong and Christ got it wrong as well. Of course it is sad that people are disappointed, but death ultimately brings eternal comfort.


Meh, My truth is better than yours....Wink

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 1263: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:56 am
Reply

Like this post
brianbbs67 wrote:

marco wrote:

brianbbs67 wrote:


My point was don't expect others to like you as well when you speak truth. Truth divides. This is what I mean and what Yeshua meant. Keep seeking.


People's false idea of what truth is can divide. One can sympathise with outrageous ideas - I personally find it sad to hear people talk of some future situation where science is bludgeoned to make way for dreams.

Had Christ's message been fulfilled 100 years after his execution that would perhaps have seemed a long time, compared to human existence. 2000 years is evidence that we got Christ wrong and Christ got it wrong as well. Of course it is sad that people are disappointed, but death ultimately brings eternal comfort.


Meh, My truth is better than yours....Wink

LOL!! Well, I'll agree with you on that, brianbbs67.

I don't remember if I asked marco what he meant by science being bludgeoned. Basic scientific agreements in the Bible go well to show that the Bible is not some hair-brained tome mascarading as something from God. The stages of creation harmonize with what science has seen, as well as the statement in the Bible that the earth is round and hangs on nothing. Other sacred books got that wrong. The water cycle is mentioned in the Bible---rain that evaporates and goes back to clouds which then release the water to fall back to earth. It's not just all "dreams."

Science is unable to answer certain questions that the Bible can, such as how did life begin? Honest scientists (and I imagine they all are on this topic) will admit that they cannot say how life started, and then how it grew more complex as time went on. So this is where the spiritual ideas come into play. God is the answer to questions that Science can't answer.

In addition to that, scientists who believe in God (and creation) and those that don't are about equal. Around 50%-50%. That is encouraging, when people say that scientists don't believe in God and people are stupid if they do. Many scientists DO believe in God, as have many in the past. Sir Isaac Newton, Louis Pasteur, and a whole list of them. Even Albert Einstein tended to believe in God, and Darwin had his doubts about mindless evolution at times, though he preferred not to think too long on the matter.


Study

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 1264: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:05 pm
Reply

Like this post
[Replying to post 1263 by onewithhim]

I really would like marco or someone to explain to me how "science is being bludgeoned" by what JWs teach.


Wave

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 1265: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:52 pm
Reply

Like this post
Am I to assume that marco doesn't have any answer to my question about how JWs "bludgeon" Science?


.

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 1266: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:44 am
Reply

Like this post (1): brunumb
[Replying to post 1263 by onewithhim]

"Science is unable to answer certain questions that the Bible can, such as how did life begin?"

Well, even I can answer questions that science can't. Of course, my answers might be just as wrong as those provided by the Bible, but those are a pretty low limbo bar. We have to toil and suffer because of a talking snake? It would be hard to get as ridiculous as that.

Study

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 1267: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:37 pm
Reply

Like this post
Gracchus wrote:

[Replying to post 1263 by onewithhim]

"Science is unable to answer certain questions that the Bible can, such as how did life begin?"

Well, even I can answer questions that science can't. Of course, my answers might be just as wrong as those provided by the Bible, but those are a pretty low limbo bar. We have to toil and suffer because of a talking snake? It would be hard to get as ridiculous as that.

Study


That is not an answer the Bible provides.

The Bible provides this answer to why "we have to toil and suffer":

Genesis 3:17 "To Adam He said, “Because you listened to your wife and ate fruit from the tree about which I commanded you, ‘You must not eat from it',"

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 1268: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:04 pm
Reply

Like this post (1): Checkpoint
Gracchus wrote:

[Replying to post 1263 by onewithhim]

"Science is unable to answer certain questions that the Bible can, such as how did life begin?"

Well, even I can answer questions that science can't. Of course, my answers might be just as wrong as those provided by the Bible, but those are a pretty low limbo bar. We have to toil and suffer because of a talking snake? It would be hard to get as ridiculous as that.

Study

No, we don't have to suffer and die because of a talking snake. We suffer and die because what ever that "snake" really was, it subtly lied about God and convinced Eve to eat from the one tree. It was because she and Adam took the fruit off that one tree, that we suffer and die. The tree symbolized God's right to rule, and His creations had the opportunity to show Him that they loved Him and sided with His authority, or, conversely, that they despised His authority and would rather rule themselves, deciding for themselves what is good and what is bad. Adam was not fooled by the "snake" (I Timothy 2:14), but he ate anyway, so we can say that he deliberately went against God and spurned His sovereignty.


.

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 1269: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:26 pm
Reply

Like this post (1): brunumb
[Replying to post 1267 by Checkpoint]

So the takeaway is: Don't listen to your wife?

And don't forget everyone else has to suffer, too, because Adam listened to his wife, and she listened to the serpent that God created, knowing what it would do: that Eve would listen to it and Adam would listen to her. It seems a little excessive for something that was for sure going to happen. Oh, and by the way, childhood cancer, harlequin babies, hurricanes, tsunamis et al.

Study

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 1270: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:17 am
Reply

Like this post
Gracchus wrote:

[Replying to post 1267 by Checkpoint]

So the takeaway is: Don't listen to your wife?

And don't forget everyone else has to suffer, too, because Adam listened to his wife, and she listened to the serpent that God created, knowing what it would do: that Eve would listen to it and Adam would listen to her. It seems a little excessive for something that was for sure going to happen. Oh, and by the way, childhood cancer, harlequin babies, hurricanes, tsunamis et al.

Study

No, the take-away answer is not "don't listen to your wife." The take-away answer is (1)if you know that a terrible deed has been done, don't go along with it; one's loyalty to God is of supreme importance, and (2)think of how your actions will impact others.

God did not create Satan as Satan. Satan ("the original serpent") was created as a perfect, righteous angel. He decided that he wanted to rebel, so he did. That made him "Satan," the resister.

There has been much thought about what God will allow Himself to know. Just because He CAN know everything, it doesn't follow that He CHOOSES to know everything. What a boring existence for Him if He chose to know absolutely everything before it even happened. I believe that He chose not to know what Adam & Eve (and even the angel that became Satan) would do. Otherwise, He would be responsible for all the evil that influences this world since Satan started talking to Eve. Jehovah is not responsible. He made His angel and human creations to have free will, and He allows us all to exercise that privilege. We are responsible for what we choose to do.

So....just because we can whistle, do we whistle all the time, 24/7? Just because God can know everything, does he choose to know what is going on every minute of the day, with every person on the earth?



There are some excellent videos on topics such as this on the website www.jw.org if you would like to check them out.

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Display posts from previous:   

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 124, 125, 126, 127, 128  Next

Jump to:  
Facebook
Tweet

 




On The Web | Ecodia | Hymn Lyrics Apps
Facebook | Twitter

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.   Produced by Ecodia.

Igloo   |  Lo-Fi Version