Paradise on Earth

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

onewithhim
Savant

Paradise on Earth

Post #1

Post by onewithhim »

When I learned that the Bible speaks of a restored Garden of Eden and the restoration of mankind to the perfection and endless life that Adam forfeited, I was thrilled. Who doesn't want to keep living on this beautiful earth, with our loved ones, and being able to do all the things we love to do---endlessly?

If God said to you today, "When do you want to die?" would you say "now!!"? I don't think very many people would say that.

We CAN live forever here on Earth. The Bible tells us that we can.

Matthew 5:5
Psalm 37:9-11,29

onewithhim
Savant

Post #931

Post by onewithhim »

TSGracchus wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:
brianbbs67 wrote:God will destroy all the evil of this world. He says so many times. When? No one knows, but it is coming.
Yes, all the signs is its coming soon, within our "generation".
The tribulation is ahead but just beyond a new world.
JW
Within our generation?! You know, Jesus predicted the same thing... two thousand years ago.

"Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom." --- Matthew 16:28 New International Version

He got it wrong. Maybe you know more than he?
No, Jesus did not say that the end would be in his generation. He was referring to the generation that would exist in the last days, the "harvest time." That is now.

It has been explained that when he spoke those words found at Matthew 16:28 he was talking about some of his Apostles seeing him appear in the bright glory that he will have taken on when he sits on his throne as King of God's Kingdom. Peter, James and John saw this, as reported in the very next few verses in chapter 17. It is obvious that that is what Jesus meant when he said that some of them would "see the Son of man coming in his kingdom."

They saw him "transfigured before them, and his face shone as the sun, and his outer garments became brilliant as the light." That is what he meant when he said they would see him "coming in his kingdom." He showed them what he would be like then. A glorious King on his throne in heaven.

TSGracchus
Scholar

Post #932

Post by TSGracchus »

onewithhim wrote:
TSGracchus wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:
brianbbs67 wrote:God will destroy all the evil of this world. He says so many times. When? No one knows, but it is coming.
JW
Within our generation?! You know, Jesus predicted the same thing... two thousand years ago.

"Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom." --- Matthew 16:28 New International Version

No, Jesus did not say that the end would be in his generation. He was referring to the generation that would exist in the last days, the "harvest time." That is now.

It has been explained that when he spoke those words found at Matthew 16:28 he was talking about some of his Apostles seeing him appear in the bright glory that he will have taken on when he sits on his throne as King of God's Kingdom. Peter, James and John saw this, as reported in the very next few verses in chapter 17. It is obvious that that is what Jesus meant when he said that some of them would "see the Son of man coming in his kingdom."

They saw him "transfigured before them, and his face shone as the sun, and his outer garments became brilliant as the light." That is what he meant when he said they would see him "coming in his kingdom." He showed them what he would be like then. A glorious King on his throne in heaven.

So once again, for the umpteenth time the inerrant word of God isn't clear, and must be interpreted. He hadn't even been crucified when that "transfiguration" was alleged to have taken place, much less risen or ascended. If he was coming in his kingdom then and he still hasn't arrived... ? Did he stop somewhere for coffee?

The explanations why the "word of God" doesn't really mean what it seems on the face of it to mean become exceedingly torturous.
If God wanted me to believe nonsense he shouldn't have given me a skeptical mind. It is that skeptical mind that has banished smallpox, not two thousand years of prayers. Believe absurdity and you will be holy? Just keep dropping your money in the collection plate. You've got to finance that kingdom.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #933

Post by onewithhim »

TSGracchus wrote:
onewithhim wrote:
TSGracchus wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:
JW

So once again, for the umpteenth time the inerrant word of God isn't clear, and must be interpreted. He hadn't even been crucified when that "transfiguration" was alleged to have taken place, much less risen or ascended. If he was coming in his kingdom then and he still hasn't arrived... ? Did he stop somewhere for coffee?

The explanations why the "word of God" doesn't really mean what it seems on the face of it to mean become exceedingly torturous.
If God wanted me to believe nonsense he shouldn't have given me a skeptical mind. It is that skeptical mind that has banished smallpox, not two thousand years of prayers. Believe absurdity and you will be holy? Just keep dropping your money in the collection plate. You've got to finance that kingdom.
Oh please. I explained to you what Jesus meant, and it's obvious by what took place in the very next verses.

We have no collection plate. All of our brothers who take care of the congregation have jobs to support themselves. You'd be surprised at how little money from each member of the congregation it takes to keep the building up to snuff (electricity, water, sewage, etc.). We don't get ripped off like all the other churches' congregations.

Science has made great strides in making life better for people, I agree. But guess what......God will be the One who ultimately permanently eradicates diseases and even death itself.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #934

Post by JehovahsWitness »

TSGracchus wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:
JW

He got it wrong.
Is it not possible that it is you who has understood his words wrongly? Rather than Jesus being wrong?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #935

Post by brianbbs67 »

TSGracchus wrote:
onewithhim wrote:
TSGracchus wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:
JW

I don't think it needs to much interpetation. Once John is read.

ImageIMG_0848 by brianbbs67, on Flickr

onewithhim
Savant

Post #936

Post by onewithhim »

brianbbs67 wrote:
TSGracchus wrote:
onewithhim wrote:
TSGracchus wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:
JW

I don't think it needs to much interpetation. Once John is read.

ImageIMG_0848 by brianbbs67, on Flickr
I think we would like your comment on that anyway.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #937

Post by brianbbs67 »

[Replying to post 935 by onewithhim]

Maybe that generation is not gone. Maybe John, yet lives? Maybe it wasn't meant literally? IDK. I can't ignore it, though. Who knows?

Tcg
Savant

Post #938

Post by Tcg »

brianbbs67 wrote:
Maybe John, yet lives?
A 2,000 year old man? Can you give any reason to accept this as a valid possibility? Perhaps examples of people who have actually lived this long or even longer.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #939

Post by onewithhim »

brianbbs67 wrote: [Replying to post 935 by onewithhim]

Maybe that generation is not gone. Maybe John, yet lives? Maybe it wasn't meant literally? IDK. I can't ignore it, though. Who knows?
You notice that Jesus said, "I did not say that John would not die." He was just making the point that he had the right to say whatever would happen. They should, basically, mind their own business. He said, "What concern is it of yours?" So we can pretty much take it that he wasn't saying that John would not die. (Indeed, all of the anointed followers of Jesus were looking forward to the time when they would be in heaven with him, and being "asleep" in their graves until the last day would hasten that hope, since they would not be conscious of time passing.)

The generation that Jesus spoke about that would see the end was a generation in the future. We are living in that time now. It takes a thorough scrutiny of the Scriptures to really understand what's going on. The churches, synagogues and mosques do not help the people to understand, unfortunately. Anyone who wants to know, there's www.jw.org .

TSGracchus
Scholar

Post #940

Post by TSGracchus »

[Replying to post 938 by onewithhim]
If, every morning when you get up, you say, "I will die today.", then someday you will be right. Every generation of Christians since Jesus has proclaimed the last days were upon them.
Thus, if a religious person makes a assertion, I am more inclined to discount it.