Paradise on Earth

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

onewithhim
Savant

Paradise on Earth

Post #1

Post by onewithhim »

When I learned that the Bible speaks of a restored Garden of Eden and the restoration of mankind to the perfection and endless life that Adam forfeited, I was thrilled. Who doesn't want to keep living on this beautiful earth, with our loved ones, and being able to do all the things we love to do---endlessly?

If God said to you today, "When do you want to die?" would you say "now!!"? I don't think very many people would say that.

We CAN live forever here on Earth. The Bible tells us that we can.

Matthew 5:5
Psalm 37:9-11,29

myth-one.com
Savant

Re: Paradise on Earth

Post #2841

Post by myth-one.com »

onewithhim wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:00 pm
myth-one.com wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:41 pm
onewithhim wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:34 pm
The six "days" of Genesis were not 24-hour days. They were unspecified periods of time, sometimes billions of years.
According to the Bible, a day is one evening and one morning:

Genesis 1:5
. . . And the evening and the morning were the first day.
No, the "days" were unspecified periods of time, . . .

In Genesis chapter one, the first, second, third, fourth, fifth, and sixth day are specified to be the sum of a morning and an evening.

onewithhim
Savant

Re: Paradise on Earth

Post #2842

Post by onewithhim »

myth-one.com wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:14 pm
onewithhim wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:00 pm
myth-one.com wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:41 pm
onewithhim wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:34 pm
The six "days" of Genesis were not 24-hour days. They were unspecified periods of time, sometimes billions of years.
According to the Bible, a day is one evening and one morning:

Genesis 1:5
. . . And the evening and the morning were the first day.
No, the "days" were unspecified periods of time, . . .

In Genesis chapter one, the first, second, third, fourth, fifth, and sixth day are specified to be the sum of a morning and an evening.
You apparently missed my previous post where I explained that "the evening and morning" is simply a way of saying "the last and the first," or, "the beginning and the end," not literal evening and morning. The scripture also points out that God created the heavens and earth in a DAY. "This is a history of the heavens and the earth in the time of their being created, in the DAY that Jehovah God made earth and heaven." (Genesis 2:4) So does this mean that everything was created in a 24-hour period?

tam
Savant

Re: Re:

Post #2843

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
myth-one.com wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:52 pm
tam wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:02 pm
Verse 1 is a summary of what God did: In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

Verse 2 is the detailed description of that creation.
Verse 2 is the description of the completed creation in verse 1 after some time.
That cannot be correct. Creation was not completed at verse 2. That is the starting point. The Light was spoken into existence on day 1; then water and sky were separated on day 3; and so on and so forth.
It is a general description. We are debating the details. You claim that God created the earth as without form, empty, and void.

I am saying that is just the starting point. Not the complete creation.
I'm claiming that God created the earth as very good and it came to be without form, empty, and void.
The words "very good" describing creation begin at verse 4 after the Light (the Light was good); then the rest of what God created is also described as good.

tam wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:02 pm For example:

1: In 2008, a book was written. (a summary of what has happened)

2: The paper was blank with no ideas upon it.
So in the beginning was God and paper? Funny.
tam wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:02 pm I am just using that as an analogy for the timing, the process.
That is in no way an analogy of Genesis 1:1-2

In Genesis 1:1-2, God created the heaven and the earth, and described only the earth as being without form. empty, and void sometime after its creation.
There is nothing that states the earth became empty and void sometime after creation.
Why do you suppose that only the earth came to be without form, empty, and void?

I do not suppose it BECAME empty and void at all. Because that description is just the starting point of creation.

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #2844

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

Miles wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:57 pm
2ndpillar2 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:04 pm
Miles wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:52 pm
myth-one.com wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:11 pm
onewithhim wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:36 pm Jesus said to his anointed followers that they would be with him to "judge the 12 twelve tribes of Israel." He also said to them that where he was going (to heaven, as we know) he would "prepare a place" for them. He said, "Also, if I go my way and prepare a place for you, I am coming again and will receive you home to myself, that where I am you may also be.." (John 14:1-4)

Doesn't it look like, to you, that he was preparing a place for them in heaven?
No, He is in heaven preparing for us a home. When our home is ready, He will return with it.

And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. (Revelation 21:2)
Why in the world would anyone believe anything in the book of Revelation? It certainly doesn't deserve canonization much less the time of day. Simply look at the very first verse of the first chapter.

Revelation 1:1

ERV
1 This is a revelation from Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show his servants what must happen soon.

NWT
A revelation* by Jesus Christ, which God gave him,+ to show his slaves+ the things that must shortly take place.

AMPC
[This is] the revelation of Jesus Christ [His unveiling of the divine mysteries]. God gave it to Him to disclose and make known to His bond servants certain things which must shortly and speedily come to pass in their entirety.

HCSB
The revelation of Jesus Christ that God gave Him to show His slaves what must quickly take place

LEB
The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show to his slaves the things which must take place in a short time,

PLUS, REVELATION 22 HAS JESUS SAYING:

Revelation 22: 7, 12, 16, 20
7 “And behold, I am coming soon. Blessed is the one who keeps the words of the prophecy of this book.”

12 “Behold, I am coming soon, bringing my recompense with me, to repay each one for what he has done.”

16 “I, Jesus, have sent my angel to testify to you about these things for the churches. I am the root and the descendant of David, the bright morning star.”

20 He who testifies to these things says, “Surely I am coming soon.” Amen. Come, Lord Jesus!

Considering that "soon," "shortly," "speedily," "quickly," and "in a short time" mean soon, shortly, speedily, quickly, and in a short time, don't you think that 2,000+ years pretty much exceeds this claim, and that someone made a grave mistake here, throwing the veracity of whole book into question? If not, then how does one explain god's assertion that what was to happen soon, shortly, speedily, quickly and in a short time, has never yet happened? Perhaps just another one of god's mistakes?

If you had read the proscript (Psalm 90:4), then you would have known that to the LORD, one day is as a thousand years, and according to Hosea 6:2, the LORD would not heal Judah and Ephraim, His people, until after two days (2000 years), on the "third day". As for where the Lord will reign on earth, that would be from "Jerusalem" (Zech 14:16).

Psalm 90:4 For in Your sight a thousand years are but a day
First of all I never said a thing about any day or days.

Secondly, I have to ask, is that the meaning illiterate servants and slaves where expected to attach to god's use of the word "day," a thousand years? I certainly hope not because when god wrote in Genesis 7:12 "And rain fell upon the earth forty days and forty nights." do you think rain fell for 40,000 years? How about Genesis 7:24 where its says "And the waters prevailed on the earth 150 days." Do you actually think the earth was flooded for 150,000 years? And when god says in Genesis 25:7 "These are the days of the years of Abraham's life, 175 years. " that Abraham lived for 175,000 years? And that the same meaning would hold in "Genesis 21:4 where he says "Abraham circumcised his son Isaac when he was eight days old, as God had commanded him." meaning the circumcision took place when Isaac was 8,000 years old? Of course you do because "to the LORD, one day is as a thousand years."

Have a good day.

Well, with respect to the "kingdom of heaven", the prophets, including Yeshua spoke in parables (Mt 13:13-15) so that those without ears could not understand, or with respect to Daniel 2:12, the "wicked" could not understand. As with respect to judgment of Judah and Ephraim when that would be finished, that would be after two days, on the 3rd day (Hosea 5-6:2)(Mt 16:21). The judgment of Judah, the Jews, has continued up through WWII, and today we are approaching the 3rd day, 2000 years since "I will go away to my place" (Hosea 5:15).

New American Standard Bible (Mt 16:21)
From that time Jesus began to point out to His disciples that it was necessary for Him to go to Jerusalem and to suffer many things from the elders, chief priests, and scribes, and to be killed, and to be raised up on the third day.

Hosea 6:2 “He will revive us after two days; He will raise us up on the third day, That we may live before Him.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #2845

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to 2ndpillar2 in post #2844]

"Soon" to God and Christ could be 2,000 years or more. They have existed forever (the Father, anyway).....Christ for billions of years. Don't you think that "soon" or "shortly," etc., can describe what they are feeling now about the end of evil?

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #2846

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

onewithhim wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:58 pm [Replying to 2ndpillar2 in post #2844]

"Soon" to God and Christ could be 2,000 years or more. They have existed forever (the Father, anyway).....Christ for billions of years. Don't you think that "soon" or "shortly," etc., can describe what they are feeling now about the end of evil?
I am not following your point. The "end of evil"/wickedness apparently does not end until the time of the white throne judgment, when the "devil" is thrown into the "lake of fire" (Rev 20:10). During the "millennium", the "wicked"/"lawless"/liars will remain outside the gates (Rev 22:14-15).

Rev 22:14 Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter by the gates into the city. 15 Outside are the dogs and the sorcerers and the immoral persons and the murderers and the idolaters, and everyone who loves and practices lying.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #2847

Post by onewithhim »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:52 pm
onewithhim wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:58 pm [Replying to 2ndpillar2 in post #2844]

I am not following your point. The "end of evil"/wickedness apparently does not end until the time of the white throne judgment, when the "devil" is thrown into the "lake of fire" (Rev 20:10). During the "millennium", the "wicked"/"lawless"/liars will remain outside the gates (Rev 22:14-15).

Rev 22:14 Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter by the gates into the city. 15 Outside are the dogs and the sorcerers and the immoral persons and the murderers and the idolaters, and everyone who loves and practices lying.
The end of evil comes after the thousand years have been completed, when the devil is let loose out of his "prison." (Revelation 20: 7-10) When he and anyone who will follow him are destroyed, evil will have been removed forever. Are you at all familiar with the book of Revelation?

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #2848

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

onewithhim wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 3:38 pm
2ndpillar2 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:52 pm

The end of evil comes after the thousand years have been completed, when the devil is let loose out of his "prison." (Revelation 20: 7-10) When he and anyone who will follow him are destroyed, evil will have been removed forever. Are you at all familiar with the book of Revelation?
I am familiar with all of the bible, including the "message" of the "enemy"/"devil" (Mt 13:25 & 39), which you, as a Jehovah Witness, seem to have drunk half the tank of Kool Aid. If "Christ" existed for "billions of years", then who was the "alpha", and when was the "beginning" (John 1:1)?

otseng
Savant

Post #2849

Post by otseng »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:28 pmwhich you, as a Jehovah Witness, seem to have drunk half the tank of Kool Aid.
Moderator Comment

Please avoid making personal comments.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #2850

Post by myth-one.com »

"Soon" to God and Christ could be 2,000 years or more. They have existed forever (the Father, anyway).....Christ for billions of years.
What is your "definition" of Christ?

In the Bible, Christ is the Word made flesh, which occurred about 2023 years ago.

The Word existed from the beginning.

But the Word made flesh (Christ) has not existed for billions of years.