Killed by a lion!!!

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

alexxcJRO
Guru

Killed by a lion!!!

Post #1

Post by alexxcJRO »

On one hand we have Jesus teaching about non-violence and turning the other cheek.

“38 “You have heard that it was said, An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ 39 But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. 40 If anyone wants to sue you and take away your tunic, let him have your cloak also. 41 And whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two.� (Matthew 5:38–41)

On the other hand we have this story:

A man is killed for not wanting to strike a prophet when was asked to do so by the prophet himself.
The prophet wanted a good disguise when he met King Ahab, and he figured a wound would help. So he wanted his neighbor to cut his face, so he could put a bandage on it, so King Ahab wouldn't recognize him when he saw him.
Anyway, this prick of a prophet found another guy who was willing to smite him.

“35 Meanwhile, the LORD instructed one of the group of prophets to say to another man, “Strike me!� But the man refused to strike the prophet. 36 Then the prophet told him, “Because you have not obeyed the voice of the LORD, a lion will kill you as soon as you leave me.� And sure enough, when he had gone, a lion attacked and killed him.
37 Then he found another man, and said, Smite me, I pray thee. And the man smote him, so that in smiting he wounded him.
38 So the prophet departed, and waited for the king by the way, and disguised himself with ashes upon his face.�

(1 Kings 20:35-38)

This story is so ridiculous, illogical and in contradiction with what Jesus thought that my brain hurt so bad after reading it.

Q: The best way to disguise yourself is to cut your face? Wait what?:))

Q: Why not just put a bandage on your face without the cut?

Q: Why not cover your face, change cloths, cut your hair, facial hair?

Q: Why not cut yourself if you can’t think of anything better cuz your no more brighter then a rock? :shock:

Q: But wait the most intelligent, wiser, most powerful being in the universe couldn’t have thought of something else? How is that possible? :-s

Q: But wait the most intelligent, wiser, most powerful and compassionate being in the universe kills the man for refusing to engage in violent behavior and while later the same being taught about non-violence? How is that possible? :-s

Q: What about his right to exercise his free will by choosing not to strike? He is not allowed to refuse? So much for free will, huh? 8-)

The only reasonable conclusion is that this stories don’t have anything to do with an all powerful, all wise, all merciful, omniscient, omnibenevolent, creator of the universe. These are just actions of stupid, delusional, sociopathic people.

Imagine this dialogue:

Prophet: Hey neighbor come here for a second.

Neighbor: Hey, what’s up?

Prophet: Come here and cut my face.

Neighbor: Wait what? Are you serious? Why?

Prophet: Cut my face, man. This is a direct command from god. I need a disguise.

Neighbor: Just bandage your face with a cloth or cut your hair, facial hair, change your cloths.

Prophet: But God command it. You have to do it or else.

Neighbor: Get out here, man. I am not going to cut your face. What are you crazy? Cut your own face.

Prophet: Because you have not obeyed the voice of the LORD, a lion will kill you as soon as you leave me.

And the neighbor leaves.
A lion comes later and kills the neighbor.
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived."
"God is a insignificant nobody. He is so unimportant that no one would even know he exists if evolution had not made possible for animals capable of abstract thought to exist and invent him"
"Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer."

Savant

Post #31

Post by 1213 »

alexxcJRO wrote: ...The text clearly says: “Because you have not obeyed the voice of Yahweh, behold, as soon as you are departed from me, a lion shall kill you.�
Unfortunately, it seems to me that I can’t explain well my point so that you would understand it. But I try once more with this example. If I would know that it is raining outside and say to you “if you open the door and go out, you will get wet�, is that threat and if it happens as I told, is it a punishment from me?

Simple yes or no is enough for me to this question.

alexxcJRO
Guru

Post #32

Post by alexxcJRO »

[Replying to 1213]

“Unfortunately, it seems to me that I can’t explain well my point so that you would understand it. But I try once more with this example. If I would know that it is raining outside and say to you “if you open the door and go out, you will get wet�, is that threat and if it happens as I told, is it a punishment from me?

Simple yes or no is enough for me to this question.�

The agent that is issuing the warning is not the same with the agent that will cause the harm.
While in our case the agent issuing the warning is the same with agent that will cause the harm.
So this becomes a threat.

Therefore the analogy fails miserably. 8-)

But let’s see what threat means:

threat
θrɛt/Submit
noun
a statement of an intention to inflict pain, injury, damage, or other hostile action on someone in retribution for something done or not done.
"members of her family have received death threats"
synonyms: threatening remark, warning, ultimatum, intimidating remark; More
a person or thing likely to cause damage or danger.
"hurricane damage poses a major threat to many coastal communities"
https://www.google.ro/search?client=ope ... ceid=opera&...

Q: Do we have a statement of an intention to inflict pain, injury, damage, or other hostile action on someone in retribution for something done or not done?

A: Yes we have a statement of an intention to inflict injury, damage:: “Because you have not obeyed the voice of the LORD, a lion will kill you as soon as you leave me.� on someone: the neighbor in retribution for something not done: he did not cut someone face when asked.
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
"God is a insignificant nobody. He is so unimportant that no one would even know he exists if evolution had not made possible for animals capable of abstract thought to exist and invent him"

Savant

Post #33

Post by 1213 »

alexxcJRO wrote: The agent that is issuing the warning is not the same with the agent that will cause the harm.
While in our case the agent issuing the warning is the same with agent that will cause the harm.
Again, there is no Biblical evidence that God caused the harm (lion to attack).

alexxcJRO
Guru

Post #34

Post by alexxcJRO »

[Replying to post 33 by 1213]

“Again, there is no Biblical evidence that God caused the harm (lion to attack).�

Facepalm. Here we go again. :))
Since post 22 we talked about the scenario in which God didn’t send the lion.
I said several times: God didn’t send the lion. God didn’t send the lion.

God only threaten with sending the lion, but he didn’t actually follow on the threat.
It was just an empty threat. Therefore God is a liar. He’s word is meaningless, worthless.

Q: How is so hard to comprehend, huh? 8-)

You then said it was not a threat and i proved it was.

"
You said: “if you open the door and go out, you will get wet�, is that threat and if it happens as I told, is it a punishment from me? "

I said:
"The agent that is issuing the warning is not the same with the agent that will cause the harm.
So this becomes a threat.

Therefore the analogy fails miserably. Cool

But let’s see what threat means:

threat
θrɛt/Submit
noun
a statement of an intention to inflict pain, injury, damage, or other hostile action on someone in retribution for something done or not done.

Q: Do we have a statement of an intention to inflict pain, injury, damage, or other hostile action on someone in retribution for something done or not done?

A: Yes we have a statement of an intention to inflict injury, damage:: “Because you have not obeyed the voice of the LORD, a lion will kill you as soon as you leave me.� on someone: the neighbor in retribution for something not done: he did not cut someone face when asked.
"

Savant

Post #35

Post by 1213 »

alexxcJRO wrote: Q: Do we have a statement of an intention to inflict pain, injury, damage, or other hostile action on someone in retribution for something done or not done?

A: Yes we have a statement of an intention to inflict injury, damage:: “Because you have not obeyed the voice of the LORD, a lion will kill you as soon as you leave me.� ....
I think that is not correct answer. By what the Bible tells, it can’t be said that God had intention to inflict injury. It was just said what will happen, if person does something.

alexxcJRO
Guru

Post #36

Post by alexxcJRO »

[Replying to 1213]

"I think that is not correct answer. By what the Bible tells, it can’t be said that God had intention to inflict injury. It was just said what will happen, if person does something."

Q: Do you not see the definition?:shock:

threat

θrɛt/Submit
noun

God said through an intermediary: “Because you have not obeyed the voice of the LORD, a lion will kill you as soon as you leave me.�

Phrase from the bible plays perfectly into the definition of threat. Therefore God made a threat.

Please read the definition and the phrase till you understand. 100 times if necessary. 8-)

Savant

Post #37

Post by 1213 »

alexxcJRO wrote: ...
God said through an intermediary: “Because you have not obeyed the voice of the LORD, a lion will kill you as soon as you leave me.�...
God warned that the lion can be threat, but it was not threat from God. Reason why I think it was not threat from God is that He didn’t say He will sent the lion to kill the person.

alexxcJRO
Guru

Post #38

Post by alexxcJRO »

[Replying to post 37 by 1213]

“God warned that the lion can be threat, but it was not threat from God. Reason why I think it was not threat from God is that He didn’t say He will sent the lion to kill the person.�

Nonsense. :-s

Let’s analyze the phrase:

“Because you have not obeyed the voice of the LORD, a lion will kill you as soon as you leave me.�

The key word in analyzing and understanding is the conjunction because:
Conjunction because connects two ideas. Because provides a reason for the action stated in the main clause. We can also say that because + subordinate clause explains a cause for the action. Moreover, it often introduces information the listener may not know. For example:

What is the sentence structure?

Because is a subordinating conjunction, and should follow the structures below:
main clause (S+V+O/C) | because | subordinate clause (S+V+O/C)
Because | subordinate clause (S+V+O/C) | , | main clause (S+V+O/C)
I didn't but the dress | because | it cost too much.
Because | the dress cost too much | , | I didn't buy it.

Our case:
Because you didn’t obeyed me, a lion will kill you.
Because of his disobedience of God(in retribution for a thing not done when asked by God) a lion will kill him.

The main clause: “a lion will kill him�
The subordinate clause: “you have not obeyed the Lord“

Because provides a reason for the action stated in the main clause.
So the reason for the action in “a lion will kill him� is in the subordinate clause: “you have not obeyed the Lord“.

If not for his disobedience of God, God would have not threaten him with the animal attack.

Example:
Because my alarm didn’t go off, I was late for work.
If not for my malfunctioning alarm I would have not been late for work.

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Re: Killed by a lion!!!

Post #39

Post by The Nice Centurion »

alexxcJRO wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:27 am On one hand we have Jesus teaching about non-violence and turning the other cheek.

“38 “You have heard that it was said, An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ 39 But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. 40 If anyone wants to sue you and take away your tunic, let him have your cloak also. 41 And whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two.� (Matthew 5:38–41)

On the other hand we have this story:

A man is killed for not wanting to strike a prophet when was asked to do so by the prophet himself.
The prophet wanted a good disguise when he met King Ahab, and he figured a wound would help. So he wanted his neighbor to cut his face, so he could put a bandage on it, so King Ahab wouldn't recognize him when he saw him.
Anyway, this prick of a prophet found another guy who was willing to smite him.

“35 Meanwhile, the LORD instructed one of the group of prophets to say to another man, “Strike me!� But the man refused to strike the prophet. 36 Then the prophet told him, “Because you have not obeyed the voice of the LORD, a lion will kill you as soon as you leave me.� And sure enough, when he had gone, a lion attacked and killed him.
37 Then he found another man, and said, Smite me, I pray thee. And the man smote him, so that in smiting he wounded him.
38 So the prophet departed, and waited for the king by the way, and disguised himself with ashes upon his face.�

(1 Kings 20:35-38)

This story is so ridiculous, illogical and in contradiction with what Jesus thought that my brain hurt so bad after reading it.

Q: The best way to disguise yourself is to cut your face? Wait what?:))

Q: Why not just put a bandage on your face without the cut?

Q: Why not cover your face, change cloths, cut your hair, facial hair?

Q: Why not cut yourself if you can’t think of anything better cuz your no more brighter then a rock? :shock:

Q: But wait the most intelligent, wiser, most powerful being in the universe couldn’t have thought of something else? How is that possible? :-s

Q: But wait the most intelligent, wiser, most powerful and compassionate being in the universe kills the man for refusing to engage in violent behavior and while later the same being taught about non-violence? How is that possible? :-s

Q: What about his right to exercise his free will by choosing not to strike? He is not allowed to refuse? So much for free will, huh? 8-)
King Ahab most probably would have entertained the same oblections as yourself.
Therefore the really wounded face was the best possible disguise. No King suspects that a prophet would go that far for disguise.

A fake bandage over a healthy face, if found out by the Kings men however, would have been a deadly giveaway!

Yours was a futile attempt to disprove the bible.
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Re: Killed by a lion!!!

Post #40

Post by Purple Knight »

alexxcJRO wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:27 amQ: But wait the most intelligent, wiser, most powerful and compassionate being in the universe kills the man for refusing to engage in violent behavior and while later the same being taught about non-violence? How is that possible? :-s
This is in the same theme of obedience as the story of Abraham and Isaac. It's not opposed to anything else in the Bible. The theme is, you obey, even if you happen to think it's wrong. That's the right answer. That's the correct choice. That door has the prize behind it.

I happen to think it's a cruddy theme and proves, if anything, that the whole God and the Bible thing is a test and the right answer is not to obey it. But there are no contradictions in this lion thing and any of the rest of the Bible. If God or a prophet tells you to do something, you do it, even if you think it's wrong.

Priority system. In fact it's the same priority system as the military. It should be easy enough to understand: You follow the last order you got until you get a superseding order. You don't get to tell the Captain or the Second in Command, "But you told me before I wasn't allowed to punch people!" If he tells you to punch someone, you punch them. Even if he said before, don't punch them.