Climate Change and the human influence

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Is climate change real and/or do humans contribute to it?

Yes climate change is real but humans don't have an effect
No votes
Yes, both climate change and the human influence are real
93%
No, climate change isn't real and/or is a hoax
No votes
I don't know
7%

Total votes: 14

TheBeardedDude
Scholar

Climate Change and the human influence

Post #1

Post by TheBeardedDude »

There are numerous studies that show how and why climates change, and there are numerous studies that show the causal connection between greenhouse gases and climate change as well as the link with humans. So, my question is, do you accept that climates change and/or that humans influence climate change?

TheBeardedDude
Scholar

Post #2

Post by TheBeardedDude »

Well this hasn't gotten much attention. Climate change doesn't bother the religious?

Willum
Savant

Post #3

Post by Willum »

Whether or not men change the climate seems obvious - it is well understood that termites and other organisms change the environment.

Man is much more pervasive and has greater effect.

What I like to point out is that: 90% of fossil fuels are burnt in the Northern Hemisphere, and that is where the majority of the primary indicator of change, polar and glacial melting, occurs.

TheBeardedDude
Scholar

Post #4

Post by TheBeardedDude »

Willum wrote: Whether or not men change the climate seems obvious - it is well understood that termites and other organisms change the environment.

Man is much more pervasive and has greater effect.

What I like to point out is that: 90% of fossil fuels are burnt in the Northern Hemisphere, and that is where the majority of the primary indicator of change, polar and glacial melting, occurs.
Why do you like to point that out?

Clownboat
Savant

Post #5

Post by Clownboat »

TheBeardedDude wrote: Well this hasn't gotten much attention. Climate change doesn't bother the religious?
This was true in my case as a believer. With the return of Jesus/God at hand, why did I need to care about the condition our planet was in?
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

TheBeardedDude
Scholar

Post #6

Post by TheBeardedDude »

Clownboat wrote:
TheBeardedDude wrote: Well this hasn't gotten much attention. Climate change doesn't bother the religious?
This was true in my case as a believer. With the return of Jesus/God at hand, why did I need to care about the condition our planet was in?
That is something I have seen from others too and it scares me deeply. That is a belief that revolves around absolutely no concern for the world we will leave behind to our kids.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #7

Post by Clownboat »

TheBeardedDude wrote:
Clownboat wrote:
That is something I have seen from others too and it scares me deeply. That is a belief that revolves around absolutely no concern for the world we will leave behind to our kids.
True, just keep in mind, these people really believe that a god is returning to bring heaven to earth. Seems reasonable that it would fix the climate before doing so.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Re: Climate Change and the human influence

Post #8

Post by ttruscott »

TheBeardedDude wrote: There are numerous studies that show how and why climates change, and there are numerous studies that show the causal connection between greenhouse gases and climate change as well as the link with humans. So, my question is, do you accept that climates change and/or that humans influence climate change?
I think I hit the wrong vote, sigh. I do not believe human life has much to do with the vagaries of earth's temperature when one volcano can spew more co2 into the air at one time than all of history of man has ever produced. Then add in sunspot activity and the correlations with climate and I rest...
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

TheBeardedDude
Scholar

Post #9

Post by TheBeardedDude »

ttruscott wrote:
TheBeardedDude wrote: There are numerous studies that show how and why climates change, and there are numerous studies that show the causal connection between greenhouse gases and climate change as well as the link with humans. So, my question is, do you accept that climates change and/or that humans influence climate change?
I think I hit the wrong vote, sigh. I do not believe human life has much to do with the vagaries of earth's temperature when one volcano can spew more co2 into the air at one time than all of history of man has ever produced. Then add in sunspot activity and the correlations with climate and I rest...
Except:
-Humans release more CO2 annually than volcanoes do (including years with major eruptions)
-Humans emit sequestered greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, how could we not have an effect?
-sun spot variability is a widely known phenomenon and is accounted for in climate studies (it isn't the driving factor)

Here is a good infographic that breaks down the contributing factors:
http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015- ... the-world/

TheBeardedDude
Scholar

Post #10

Post by TheBeardedDude »