Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

agnosticatheist
Banned
Banned

Abhorrent old testament material

Post #1

Post by agnosticatheist »

Regardless of whether some, all, or none of the old testament commands apply to Christians today, the fact is, according to the bible, at some point in the past, the SAME god they submit to and worship was ok with the abhorrent garbage in the old testament.

Examples of abhorrent garbage in the old testament:

1. Slavery

2. Stoning people to death (even their own children........)

3. Killing everyone but the virgin girls (whom they "keep for themselves".....gee i wonder what the implication of THAT is, and i wonder how they determined which of the girls were virgins?.....would you be ok with your daughter being subjected to that? if not, then why was it ok for the daughters of a people group back then to be subjected to that? that is the height of hypocrisy. if you want to try to argue the method that they used to determine which girls were virgins was not invasive, like some type of cultural ornamentation, clothing, etc, that method is not foolproof, and you want the method that you are using to determine who gets to live and who dies to be foolproof. ultimately, the text does not tell us how they went about determining who was a virgin, so any suggestion is mere speculation)

4. Pillaging cities

5. Cutting a woman's hand off

6. Putting whole towns to death. Men, women, children, and animals

7. Subjecting a woman to drinking water that contains dust from the floor of the tabernacle and having her hair unbraided by some creepy old priest, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER SHE IS GUILTY OF ADULTERY OR NOT. Then, if she turns out to be guilty, her womb swells and her "thigh falls away (Metaphor for her womb shriveling up? it would seem so considering later on it says that if the woman is shown to be innocent, she shall conceive children). Seriously, what kind of man subjects his wife to that??? What if the wife is jealous? Is there recourse like this for her? Can she take her husband to the priest and have him subjected to a test, whereby if he is guilty of adultery, his testicles swell, and then his testicles cease to produce sperm? NOPE. Only the husband gets to subject his wife to this garbage.

What kind of god hands this down to humans?

I ask you Christians: How is this ok? How? Where is your god? Where is your integrity?

On this one issue alone, you should at minimum toss inerrancy out the window, and really, you should toss it all out. But nope, despite what I have presented here, some of you are too stubborn to REJECT THIS EVIL GARBAGE and stand for what is ACTUALLY GOOD. Some of you are too scared of your god sending you to hell for rejecting it. Some of you are flat out evil, you know it's evil, you enjoy it, and so you have no problem with it. For some of you, and you are the one's i feel sorry for, your current belief system is a "security blanket" that helps you keep going, helps you cope with your past, helps you cope with your present, and gives you hope for your future. I encourage you to discard that security blanket, and step out into the light. Reject this evil. You can do it!

If any of you doubt me on what i listed here, i will be glad to cite verses for you.

If anyone besides the Israelites were to treat people the way the Israelites did, Christians would be having a fit, calling it inhumane, evil, etc (they already do this with islam; at least the muslims behead people, which is more merciful and less painful than stoning people to death.......). They give the Isrealites and their god a free pass on this garbage because to take issue with it would mean at least the collapse of their precious doctrine of biblical inerrancy, and perhaps even the total collapse of their security blanket (or, for some, their control mechanism, means of acquiring wealth, influence, perks, etc).

Christians, if your god was actually ok with this stuff and commanded it, I reject your god and refuse to submit. Send me to hell, i'll go down swinging. I'd fight your god if I could, even if it meant certain death. I refuse to submit to this evil bullcrap.

Game over, Biblical Inerrantists. You now have to either stand by the garbage i mentioned, and reveal yourself to be a selfish, deplorable person, or reject the garbage i mentioned, and toss biblical inerrancy out the window. There is NO escape here.
If it turns out there are one or more gods, then so be it.

If it turns out there are no gods, then thank reality that no one is going to suffer forever.

alexxcJRO
Guru

Re: Abhorrent old testament material

Post #2

Post by alexxcJRO »

[Replying to post 1 by agnosticatheist]

The most infectious virus called the “teachings of the Bible� has infected the people of the world, becoming a pandemic. :shock:

It has corrupted their morality, integrity, their rational thinking, common sense.
The moral compass is all over the place. The south is north and the north is south.
The fools are fooled there are the fools but wise.
Morons are praised and skeptics are condemned.
Immoral thinks become moral things.
The good is bad and the bad is good.
Forget about worship because of morality, let’s embrace worship because of power.
Blood-savage, bigoted, intolerant genocidal dictators have suddenly become for no apparent reason compassionate, all loving, just, merciful. :?
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived."
"God is a insignificant nobody. He is so unimportant that no one would even know he exists if evolution had not made possible for animals capable of abstract thought to exist and invent him"
"Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer."

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #3

Post by Divine Insight »

agnosticatheist wrote: What kind of god hands this down to humans?

I ask you Christians: How is this ok? How? Where is your god? Where is your integrity?
I completely agree and support your position on the Bible here.

There is no way that Jesus makes up for this.

The problem with Christianity is that they demand that Jesus is the Son of this Old Testament God. So it doesn't matter one iota how good Jesus might have been, there is absolutely nothing Jesus could do to erase the horrors of the original God of this religion.

Jesus is nothing if not the son of this dastardly God. And that leaves Christianity in a real pickle.

Christians seem to think that they can love Jesus and ignore Yahweh, but that's not what this religion is saying at all. And it's even more absurd to claim that Jesus was Yahweh incarnated as a human. That wouldn't erase his previous behavior either.

So there's nothing that can vindicate the God of Christianity. It's clearly nothing more than a superstitious religion built up on previous superstitions. Trying to proclaim that Jesus was the son of Yahweh just doesn't make any sense at all.

It's so obvious that this religion can't be real that they only mystery about Christianity is the mystery of how anyone could have believed it in the first place. But then again, back in the days when it actually became a religion people believed a lot of ridiculous stuff. It just stuck throughout history and even modern day people can't seem to let go of it. No doubt because it's been around for so long and has been treated throughout history by so many people as if it should be taken seriously.

But it's truly absurd, just read the OP of this thread! That's truly the God that is described in the Old Testament, let's not pretend otherwise.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

agnosticatheist
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by agnosticatheist »

So sick and tired of Christians not dealing with this stuff. I may leave this forum if they keep avoiding material that undoes their beliefs. I dont see how people dont get this.

If you dont believe me, i can show you the verses. It's right their in your **** bible. You just dont want to deal with it, because dealing with it means either accepting it, which means you are a deplorable person, or rejecting it, which means your precious doctrine of inerrancy goes out the window...either way, you're ******. There is no escaping this.
If it turns out there are one or more gods, then so be it.

If it turns out there are no gods, then thank reality that no one is going to suffer forever.

theophile
Guru

Post #5

Post by theophile »

[Replying to agnosticatheist]

I think most if not all of these topics have been covered elsewhere...

Also, maybe the Christians don't respond because it doesn't really feel like a conversation is possible here, as evinced by your use of such language as "abhorrent garbage" in reference to materials held by Christians in high regard.

Not exactly a good starting point, is it? I know it leaves me with no desire to converse. It's clearly a conversation that won't go anywhere.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #6

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by agnosticatheist]

What is the question of debate?

(clarification appreciated)

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Is it possible to love God?

Post #7

Post by JehovahsWitness »

As one of Jehovah's Witnesses we believe loving God is possible. Do you feel that being in a particular religion makes it easier or harder to love God.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

tam
Savant

Post #8

Post by tam »

Peace to you AA,

Not all who profess to be Christian think that the bible is inerrant. That book does not even make that claim of itself (Jeremiah 8:8 speaks of scribal - like secretaries and copyists - errors). Some who profess to be Christian understand that it is Christ who shows them the truth of God.

So if one wants to know God (truly), then one must look at Christ.

"If you truly know me, you know my Father also." John 14:7

Peace to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

Elijah John
Savant

Post #9

Post by Elijah John »

agnosticatheist wrote:
On this one issue alone, you should at minimum toss inerrancy out the window, and really, you should toss it all out. But nope, despite what I have presented here, some of you are too stubborn to REJECT THIS EVIL GARBAGE and stand for what is ACTUALLY GOOD. Some of you are too scared of your god sending you to hell for rejecting it. Some of you are flat out evil, you know it's evil, you enjoy it, and so you have no problem with it. For some of you, and you are the one's i feel sorry for, your current belief system is a "security blanket" that helps you keep going, helps you cope with your past, helps you cope with your present, and gives you hope for your future. I encourage you to discard that security blanket, and step out into the light. Reject this evil. You can do it!

If any of you doubt me on what i listed here, i will be glad to cite verses for you.
Send me to hell, i'll go down swinging. I'd fight your god if I could, even if it meant certain death. I refuse to submit to this evil bullcrap.

Game over, Biblical Inerrantists. You now have to either stand by the garbage i mentioned, and reveal yourself to be a selfish, deplorable person, or reject the garbage i mentioned, and toss biblical inerrancy out the window. There is NO escape here.
:warning: Moderator Warning

The topic raises some very valid criticisms. But it is overly emotional, and hyperbolic. The ranting portions have crossed the line into personal attack, here:

"Some of you are flat out evil, you know it's evil, you enjoy it, and so you have no problem with it."

And in whole paragraphs of your post.

That is what triggered this warning.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #10

Post by Elijah John »

alexxcJRO wrote: The fools are fooled there are the fools but wise.
Morons are praised and skeptics are condemned.
:warning: Moderator Warning

This too crosses the line. You have gone from valid and debatable critique, to rant, to personal attack. Do not call others "fools" and "morons."

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.