A government that will solve our problems

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

JehovahsWitness
Savant

A government that will solve our problems

Post #1

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Jehovah's Witnesses do not vote because we are already committed to God's government.

My question is, do you really believe that a human government will one day solve the major problems facing mankind?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: A government that will solve our problems

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Jehovah's Witnesses do not vote because we are already committed to God's government.

My question is, do you really believe that a human government will one day solve the major problems facing mankind?

How could you have a government run by a God that no one has ever seen hide nor hair of? :-k

I mean, seriously?

Who speaks for God?

How are you going to have a government run by an invisible God that doesn't exist?

How is that supposed to work?

And besides, aren't most (if not all) of our problems already due to criminals who don't obey the laws anyway? :-k

Is this invisible God going for FORCE everyone to obey the laws?
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #3

Post by Divine Insight »

JehovahsWitness wrote: My question is, do you really believe that a human government will one day solve the major problems facing mankind?
And by the way, the United States was at least on the right track until 2017.

Now it looks like we've been seriously derailed. The EPA and human rights may have just taken a major step back into the dark ages.

I think the Canadians are still doing pretty good though, as well as some other countries. :D

We can't hold all of humanity responsible for the mistakes Americans make.
[center]Image
[/center]

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #4

[Replying to post 3 by Divine Insight]

Thank you for your participation. Do you feel inclined to actually answer the question?
JehovahsWitness wrote:My question is, do you really believe that a human government will one day solve the major problems facing mankind?
I can't quite glean from your post if it was a "yes" or a "no"...

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

dio9
Under Probation

Post #5

Post by dio9 »

[Replying to post 1 by JehovahsWitness]

Yes I believe the human race will evolve intellectually and emotionally into a civilization where swords are bent into plows and spears to pruning forks.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #6

dio9 wrote: [Replying to post 1 by JehovahsWitness]

Yes I believe the human race will evolve intellectually and emotionally into a civilization where swords are bent into plows and spears to pruning forks.

Interesting. Do you feel government will play a role in this? I ask because I recently had a conversation with someone who expressed their hope in the new American President and I wondered is there were still people that believe that governments can solve the problems humanity faces.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #7

Post by Divine Insight »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thank you for your participation. Do you feel inclined to actually answer the question?
JehovahsWitness wrote:My question is, do you really believe that a human government will one day solve the major problems facing mankind?
I don't know whether it will or not. Only time will tell.

But you qualified your question with the premise statement:
Jehovah's Witnesses do not vote because we are already committed to God's government.
What in the world does that even mean? How can you be committed to a government that doesn't even exist?

What do you mean by "God's government"? :-k

In fact, doesn't the Bible hold that God is the one who places humans in a position of governmental power? If that's the case then humans running governments is "God's Government".

Romans 13:1 Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.

If you're an American then Donald Trump is "God's government".

Assuming you believe in the Bible.

Also, why would Jehovah's Witnesses refuse to vote? Shouldn't they be voting for the person they feel God is telling them to vote for? :-k

How can you claim to be committed to God's government if you refuse to vote? Clearly if God places all authority into power and he has set the USA up to be a democracy, then it's God's design that you are supposed to vote.

If you refuse to vote you are turning your back on God's government. According to Romans 13:1
[center]Image
[/center]

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #8

Divine Insight wrote: But you qualified your question with the premise statement:
Yes, it was just to let posters know our position on the matter.
Divine Insight wrote: What in the world does that even mean? [...] What do you mean by "God's government"?
Well a government is a group of individuals who have authorty to rule over a number of other individuals who live in a given territory. We believe God has one of those.
Divine Insight wrote: In fact, doesn't the Bible hold that God is the one who places humans in a position of governmental power? If that's the case then humans running governments is "God's Government".

Romans 13:1 Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.

If you're an American then Donald Trump is "God's government".
Well I respect if that's what you interpret the scripture to mean, that's why I asked the question, to see what people think. However that is not an Jehovah's Witness interpretation and is certainly not an official JWs belief. Of course you are free to say "Jehovah's Witnesses are wrong, and that we SHOULD interpret the above that way, but you are not free to say that do; Because we don't.

JW

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #9

Post by Divine Insight »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Of course you are free to say "Jehovah's Witnesses are wrong, and that we SHOULD interpret the above that way, but you are not free to say that do; Because we don't.
I have no intention of trying to tell you what you "should" believe with respect to the Biblical God. Clearly no two people can ever agree on those types of questions.

Which brings me to my next point:
JehovahsWitness wrote: Well a government is a group of individuals who have authorty to rule over a number of other individuals who live in a given territory. We believe God has one of those.
Why should anyone care what Jehovah's Witnesses believe? :-k

How in the world could the belief you have described above be implemented in the real world?

Where is this God who has this imaginary government?

Clearly you can't even point to the Bible since no two people can even agree on how to "interpret" the Bible. It's obviously that ambiguous and therefore useless.

Are you suggesting that Jehovah's Witnesses should define this imaginary "God's government" base on what they think the Bible should mean? :-k

I just don't see where the beliefs of Jehovah's Witnesses have any practical value in considering how humans should be governed.

Clearly the only governmental systems available to humans are those that humans construct themselves. Even if they construct them based on their beliefs of how ancient fables of imaginary Gods should be interpreted. That would still be a human-constructed government. :D

So how could it even be possible to have a government that isn't based on human views, opinions, and beliefs?

Whether or not such governments would produce desirable results is another question in any case.

As I have already pointed out human governments are successful in what they decree. Where they fail is in having the ability to make sure that everyone follows the laws of the government.

So in that sense human governments have already solved the problems of humanity. It's just that there are too many people who aren't willing to do as the government says. :D

Almost every disaster you see on TV is the result of someone breaking laws.

Of course this wouldn't apply to natural disasters, accidents, or disease. But clearly those are things that GOD CREATED if God actually exists.

So most of the ills of the world were created by God, if God exists. ;)

And the crimes we see are the result of refusing to respect the laws of the governments that are already in place.

Even a group like ISIS is a group that refuses to obey or respect any human governments. And they actually claim to be carrying out "God's Laws". :roll:

So clearly when humans start trying to carry out what they believe to be "God's Laws" things can get seriously nasty.

We're far better off with human constructed governments in place. :D

~~~~~~

By the way, in Theology, Doctrine and Dogma, what is your excuse for dismissing Paul's decree?

Can you please post scripture that contradicts Paul's claim and supports you denial of it?
[center]Image
[/center]

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #10

Divine Insight wrote:Why should anyone care what Jehovah's Witnesses believe?
Did I say anyone should? I do believe I was simply answering your question... which was...
Divine Insight wrote:What do you mean by "God's government"?
I explained what I mean by "God's government".
Divine Insight wrote:I have no intention of trying to tell you what you "should" believe with respect to the Biblical God.

Excellent, so we're on the same page where that is concerned.

Thanks for your input though, it was an interesting read.

Go well,

JW