Philosophy of Keeping Yourself Centred

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

andrewsmith

Philosophy of Keeping Yourself Centred

Post #1

Post by andrewsmith »

Wing Chun has two parts which we all have to practice. One part is based on skill and the other part on energy. It is rather like life, you need the skill which comes through knowledge and education as well as the nature, health and personality to make everything work, to make your life fulfilled and to give it meaning. For example, an artist may draw or paint very well but if he is an anti­ social person, no one will want his paintings. It is not enough to have skill; you need to know how to relate your skill to others in order to be successful. Other people have very good social skills but no real talent, therefore whatever they create will not last long. To build your life you need skill and work. Then good luck will come your way.
Source: http://gowingchun.com/philosophy-of-kee ... -chun.html

Mr.Badham
Sage

Re: Philosophy of Keeping Yourself Centred

Post #2

Post by Mr.Badham »

[Replying to post 1 by andrewsmith]

Wasn't Beethoven an asshole? Wasn't Aristotle too? There is so many artists that died before their art was appreciated. I don't think personality matters too much in that respect.

amortalman
Site Supporter

Re: Philosophy of Keeping Yourself Centred

Post #3

Post by amortalman »

[Replying to post 1 by andrewsmith]

I think that if you're an anti-social mediocre artist you might find success an uphill battle. But if you're a very gifted and well-taught artist being anti-social might be an asset. In such a case you might be perceived as a mysterious eccentric whose work might be worth having.

But I know that's not the main point of your post. I'll have to check out your link. Sounds interesting.