Moderator: Moderators

Volbrigade
Banned
Banned

Resurrections and hyperdimensions

Post #1

Post by Volbrigade »

Divine Insight wrote: [Replying to post 169 by Volbrigade]

The problem with your replies is that you aren't providing rational evidence for any of your religious beliefs or claims.

All your posts amount to are the standard "preaching" techniques of this religious cult that tries desperately to denigrate anyone who refuses to join and support it.

It's not going to be productive to simply attempt to denigrate people who refuse to be convinced. In fact, that is actually in direct violation of the teachings of Jesus anyway. Jesus never instructed his disciples to argue with or accuse anyone of anything. To the contrary, he clearly instructed them to move on if people aren't interested in hearing the message.
I'm not sure whether you're lecturing or preaching here. A bit of both?

I fail to see where I have denigrated anybody. I did mention the "vague beliefs" expressed by those with opposing arguments. Is that what you refer to?

But that is exactly what they, themselves, express. "I don't claim to know what our origins are, or what our destiny is..."; "I am comfortable with not knowing...". Sound familiar?
So when a theist does nothing but argue to the bitter death with non-believers I don't see where they are paying attention to the teachings of Jesus.
All due respect, but if I am looking for insight into the "teachings of Jesus", I will look elsewhere than to a non-theist.

"Argue to the bitter death"? That's a colorful way of putting it, isn't it? From my perspective, I'm just visiting a message board dedicated to the discussion and debate of Christianity. And expressing my reasons for being a Christian. Which generates oppositional views, which I then address.

If by "bitter death", you mean until both parties begin to repeat themselves -- well, yes. am willing to engage to that point. A point we seem to have reached, in our discussion.
If I were going to preach to people I would at least follow Jesus' instructions and only preach to those who are interested in hearing the message. :D
Is that a nice way of saying "shut up"?

Again -- it is perhaps a good thing that the prohibition against "preaching" (however defined -- apparently, it means "sharing the Good News"; which is an odd injunction on a site devoted to Christianity...) does not extend to "lecturing", of which I cetainly have been the recipient of my share -- as here.

I think, in general, theists "preach" (against the rules);
non-theists "lecture" (within the rules).

Perhaps that has a bearing on the subject of the OP?
In the meantime, if you are attempting to argue or debate for why the religion has merit, I haven't seen where you have supplied any compelling arguments.
I certainly regret to hear that.

But I don't see where that is a compelling argument that I haven't made any. ;)

[/quote]

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #51

Post by Divine Insight »

Volbrigade wrote: So, we're dealing with a magical-mystical universe. I'm cool with that.
The fact that anything exists at all is indeed a mystery. No doubt about it.
Volbrigade wrote: If God is its creator, sustainer, designer, and sovereign: then it makes sense.
Why?

Why does it make no sense for a universe to exist, but it somehow makes sense for a highly sophisticated God to exist?

How does that make sense? :-k
Volbrigade wrote: Otherwise -- this microbes to men thing -- it's just absurd. On every level.

You see that, don't you?
When you understand how physics, chemistry, and biological evolution work, it's not the slightest bit absurd.

In fact, it makes far more sense than if a fully formed universe has just suddenly popped into existence without evolving from basic constituents into more complex forms, right?

Yet,to believe in a "God" you must believe that this God somehow just popped into existence fully formed.

You seem to be totally ignoring the question of how God came to be in all of this.

You seem to be happy with saying, "If an unexplained God exists that would explain the existence of everything else".

So you just accept, without question, that an unexplained God must then exist.

But that clearly hasn't "explained" anything.

All you've done is accept that a non-explanation will suffice for you as an explanation.

You see that, don't you?
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #52

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

[Replying to Volbrigade]
Volbrigade wrote: Now, God said "Let light be..." is a little magical-mystical too, I'll admit.

So, we're dealing with a magical-mystical universe. I'm cool with that.
No, we live in a universe that works according to very specific rules. We call these rules the laws of physics. And the driving force behind all change that occurs within these rules we call quantum mechanics. So not just anything is possible. However, within the limits of these rules, these laws of physics, everything that IS possible has an increasing chance of being realized over vast amounts of time.
Volbrigade wrote: you can tell if "the principles... behind the workings of a TV" are correct or not. You get a picture -- they're correct. No picture: better keep working on it.

There's observable, measurable, repeatable processes involved. They tell me.
A television set is constructed to utilize the rules of the laws of physics to achieve a specifically desired result. It's not magical at all. But before such a device as a television set could even be conceived of as an actual practical working prototype, the laws of physics first had to be observed and understood. That required several centuries of empirical observation and experimentation. Such a device as a TV COULD be conceived of in the imagination at any point along the path to development of course. But before a working prototype of a TV was first developed such a thing was strictly within the realm of science fiction. Because conceiving of such a device in the imagination is not the same thing at all as using empirical information to actually construct such a device. Make it up and declare it to be true gets one exactly nowhere. Actually coming up with a working TV took years of research and experimentation.
Volbrigade wrote: Energy flowed downstream to carve an eagle's eye from a mutated cell... I don't know. That sounds kinda magical-mystical to me. Can you verify that?
Entire courses are devoted to the study of evolution and natural selection, so it's not really possible for me to explain it to you here in a few words. But here is what Wikipedia has to say on the subject of natural selection.

Wikipedia
Natural Selection
Natural selection is the differential survival and reproduction of individuals due to differences in phenotype. It is a key mechanism of evolution, the change in heritable traits of a population over time. Charles Darwin popularised the term "natural selection", and compared it with artificial selection.

Variation exists within all populations of organisms. This occurs partly because random mutations arise in the genome of an individual organism, and offspring can inherit such mutations. Throughout the lives of the individuals, their genomes interact with their environments to cause variations in traits. The environment of a genome includes the molecular biology in the cell, other cells, other individuals, populations, species, as well as the abiotic environment. Individuals with certain variants of the trait may survive and reproduce more than individuals with other, less successful, variants. Therefore, the population evolves. Factors that affect reproductive success are also important, an issue that Darwin developed in his ideas on sexual selection (now often included in natural selection) and fecundity selection.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_selection

The Wikipedia article also goes on to note:
"Natural selection is one of the cornerstones of modern biology." This is important to understand. No course in modern biology would make any sense at all without a thorough understanding of evolution and natural selection. So, here is an introduction to the concept of natural selection.

Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

Volbrigade
Banned
Banned

Post #53

Post by Volbrigade »

Tired of the Nonsense wrote: [Replying to Volbrigade]
Volbrigade wrote: Now, God said "Let light be..." is a little magical-mystical too, I'll admit.

So, we're dealing with a magical-mystical universe. I'm cool with that.
No, we live in a universe that works according to very specific rules. We call these rules the laws of physics. And the driving force behind all change that occurs within these rules we call quantum mechanics. So not just anything is possible. However, within the limits of these rules, these laws of physics, everything that IS possible has an increasing chance of being realized over vast amounts of time.
If you're content to cycle over the same ground over and over, than I have no choice but to repeat myself.

Yes, the universe operates by "rules". Natural Laws, synchronously calibrated to infinitesimal degrees.

A Law implies -- "demands", actually -- a Law Giver.

They didn't just magically make themselves, after a "quantum clould" develped (somehow).

They were made, by an eternal Creator.
Volbrigade wrote: you can tell if "the principles... behind the workings of a TV" are correct or not. You get a picture -- they're correct. No picture: better keep working on it.

There's observable, measurable, repeatable processes involved. They tell me.
A television set is constructed to utilize the rules of the laws of physics to achieve a specifically desired result. It's not magical at all. But before such a device as a television set could even be conceived of as an actual practical working prototype, the laws of physics first had to be observed and understood. That required several centuries of empirical observation and experimentation. Such a device as a TV COULD be conceived of in the imagination at any point along the path to development of course. But before a working prototype of a TV was first developed such a thing was strictly within the realm of science fiction. Because conceiving of such a device in the imagination is not the same thing at all as using empirical information to actually construct such a device. Make it up and declare it to be true gets one exactly nowhere. Actually coming up with a working TV took years of research and experimentation.
Yes, it did. And it was an uphill process, which required increased information at every step. And further improvements will certainly occur, as more information is employed in a process we call "technology".

And this technology REQUIRES intelligence in order to generate it, because even the most rudimentary TV set will never, ever, assemble itself -- "quantum cloud" or no.

And yet you propose that cells assembled themselves, and proceeded to increase the information that was randomly assembled; such that it went from coding for a microbe, to small animals with light sensitive cells, to eagles with wings and "eagle-eyes", and men with the ability to discover the information system that codes for these things.

But no intelligence or design was required for those increases in information. The ceaseless flux of quantum mechanics is sufficient to do it.

I find that to be (all due respect) a laughably impoverished form of mysticism.
Volbrigade wrote: Energy flowed downstream to carve an eagle's eye from a mutated cell... I don't know. That sounds kinda magical-mystical to me. Can you verify that?
Entire courses are devoted to the study of evolution and natural selection, so it's not really possible for me to explain it to you here in a few words. But here is what Wikipedia has to say on the subject of natural selection.

Wikipedia
Natural Selection
Natural selection is the differential survival and reproduction of individuals due to differences in phenotype. It is a key mechanism of evolution, the change in heritable traits of a population over time. Charles Darwin popularised the term "natural selection", and compared it with artificial selection.

Variation exists within all populations of organisms. This occurs partly because random mutations arise in the genome of an individual organism, and offspring can inherit such mutations. Throughout the lives of the individuals, their genomes interact with their environments to cause variations in traits. The environment of a genome includes the molecular biology in the cell, other cells, other individuals, populations, species, as well as the abiotic environment. Individuals with certain variants of the trait may survive and reproduce more than individuals with other, less successful, variants. Therefore, the population evolves. Factors that affect reproductive success are also important, an issue that Darwin developed in his ideas on sexual selection (now often included in natural selection) and fecundity selection.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_selection

The Wikipedia article also goes on to note:
"Natural selection is one of the cornerstones of modern biology." This is important to understand. No course in modern biology would make any sense at all without a thorough understanding of evolution and natural selection. So, here is an introduction to the concept of natural selection.

Right. No one disputes the reality of natural selection. I provided an example of how it works. It is, as the name implies, a downhill process, selecting out existing information in response to environmental pressure.

It does not add information (except by genetic mutation, which is a copying error), and is not a process that could lead to one kind of organism becoming another -- certainly not an original single-celled organism becoming a man -- as many evolutionists themselves have begrudgingly acknowledged.

It is a failed theorem in it's attempt to explain the spectrum of flora and fauna presented to us.

It does have a certain elegance to it, I'll admit. I was quite taken with it in my callow youth. "Here, in tidal pools such as these, the conditions were favorable for the chemical constituents of life to combine in endless vareities, eventually hitting upon a sequence of amino acids that were inherently self-relicating. And from that humble beginning, ever increasingly complex combinations arose, eventually producing every living creature that ever lived -- all made out of star dust..."

Beautiful.

"Here, where this tornado plowed through a junkyard, we see the increasingly complex mechanisms it left behind --from a mousetrap to a bicycle to an automobile to a space shuttle..."

Elegant. But a little to fanciful and made up for me.

I'll take

"In beginning, the Triune God said 'let light be' ":

and the step by step reversals of entropy that ensued, by His "hand", over a 6-day period. 8-)

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #54

[Replying to Volbrigade]

Volbrigade wrote: A Law implies -- "demands", actually -- a Law Giver.
Human laws require a law giver, this is true. Human laws are not inviolate however. We break them all the time. Physical laws ARE inviolate however. They cannot be broken. So they don't really draw a direct comparison with the sort of laws given by lawmakers. Instead the observed nature of inviolate physical laws directly serve to contradict the supposed existence of a law giver/givers who can manipulate the laws of physics at will. Because all observation indicates that the laws of physics cannot be altered or manipulated under any circumstances.
Volbrigade wrote: And this technology (TV) REQUIRES intelligence in order to generate it, because even the most rudimentary TV set will never, ever, assemble itself -- "quantum cloud" or no.
Inventing TV was a laborious process of trial and error. Everything has to be done in the right way, and in the right order, for it to work. But because it is possible within the laws of physics, TV was perfected. And the universe does not naturally produce technology, that is true. The universe is perfectly capable of producing things from scratch that we, for all of our technological capabilities, CANNOT produce however. At least not yet. We humans cannot, as yet, produce life from scratch. Much research is going in to being able to accomplish this very thing however. Because being able design and create life from scratch has many many useful possibile applications. And the profit potentials are enormous.

So, when humans discover how to design and create life from scratch, will we then be Gods? Not in my opinion, but those who believe in Gods may disagree.

But let's turn our attention to other things that nature can create from scratch but humans, as yet, cannot. Gold for example. Gold is created when 79 protons are forced to bond into the nucleus of the atom Au, or gold. For all of our technological prowess, humans are not, as yet, capable of creating gold. Even though the profit potential is clearly enormous. The universe however effortlessly cranks out billions of tons of the stuff. Apparently without even thinking about it.
Volbrigade wrote: It does not add information (except by genetic mutation, which is a copying error), and is not a process that could lead to one kind of organism becoming another -- certainly not an original single-celled organism becoming a man--
A genetic mutation which seves to decrease the survival potential of the individual organism will quickly drop out of the gene pool. A genetic mutation which, by chance, serves to increase the potential for the organism to survive and successfully procreate however adds that very information of its mutation into the gene pool of the entire organism. Which then eventually becomes normal for that organism, as it improves the chances for all the successive progeny to survive and successfully procreate.

The geological record clearly shows that the earliest forms of true life to exist on earth were very simplest forms of single cells. The non nucleated prokaryotic bacterias.
The most varied forms of life on Earth today however are the vastly more sophisticated eukaryotic forms. That is, the forms of organisms whose cells contain a nucleus and other organelles enclosed within membranes. Such improvements increase the chances of survival by offering the organism a greater variety of possibilities.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eukaryote

As might be expected if evolution is true, there should be, or have been, more simple organisms whose cells DO NOT contain a nucleus. And sure enough, these are the prokaryotic organisms, which DO NOT have a nucleus. NOT COINCIDENTALLY and in accordance with what one would expect if evolution were true, the oldest forms of life known, life forms which were capable of leaving their imprint on the rocks, are the simpler forms. The Cyanobacteria known as blue-green algae, and they are one of the most successful forms of life to this day. As with the early forms of apes which DID NOT evolve into humans, leaving no modern apes, blue-green algae gave rise to other more complex forms of life, but blue-green algae also STILL EXISTS to this very day. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geologic_time_scale

There is in fact even a an intermediate stage that has been discovered bridging these two stages, known as the Lokiarchaeota. A type of proto-eukaryote.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lokiarchaeota

What we observe is that the oldest rocks to be found on planet Earth show signs of the existence of the simplest form of true life known to us. And that would be the simple bacteria's, non nucleated prokaryotes; the cyanobacteria known as blue-green algae. These bacteria, the prokaryotes, happen to be the earliest form of life to leave a record of their existence in the geology of early Earth, on the order of 3800 million years ago.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanobacteria

The early bacteria's, being photosynthetic, were in fact responsible for the free oxygen in the atmosphere of early Earth. The earliest eukaryotic organisms, organisms like us which have a cellular nucleus, did not first appear until 1800 million years ago or so. It took 2,000 million years or so to get from non-nucleated creatures to the much more advanced nucleated creatures. And in fact most eukaryotic organisms require the oxygen which had begun to be manufactured eons earlier by their simple non-nucleus possessing forebears, the bacteria's. LIFE BUILDS ON ITSELF. What the physical evidence shows is that life moved from simple to increasingly complex, and did so incredibly slowly at first, just as evolution predicts. But not even the very simplest prokaryotes, the algae's, are candidates for "first" life. For that we must turn to the protobionts, structures which can't even accurately be termed organisms since they aren't clearly organic and don't possess all of the attributes associated with biological life. Simple molecules which have the achieved the remarkable ability to reproduce themselves. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protobionts

So we turn to the viruses. The simplest of the viruses are nothing but a chain of molecules that incorporate a simple RNA molecule. Literally, all they do is replicate themselves. They don't respire, they don't excrete, and they don't die, because they were never "living" to begin with. They can be broken apart and destroyed easily enough, but if left intact they can remain inert apparently indefinitely. Then, given the necessary environmental conditions, they replicate themselves. I am not suggesting that viruses represent "first life" either. They are not life at all, for one thing. But it is generally held that something like this, something which blurs the distinction between what is living and what is a result of simple on going process of chemistry rather than organic biology, is responsible for process of becoming earliest life itself. What we clearly observe is that life moved from simple to complex with the passage of time.

Viruses are a type of proto-life, not fully living, but demonstrating one very important aspect of true life. They replicate themselves using the DNA or the RNA molecule. As one would expect, viruses using the DNA molecule can be quite complex. The double helix DNA molecule has almost limitless possible combinations available to it. The single strand RNA molecule is far more limited, and as one might expect, viruses which contain the RNA molecule are very basic and simple structures. DNA is very clearly an advanced evolutionary stage over RNA. So the real question in the study of biological evolution for years has been, how did the RNA molecule originate? Because the cornerstone of evolution is the ability to reproduce and adapt to change. The recent study that is the basis for this string has concluded that the primary components necessary for the RNA molecule form spontaneously within carbonaceous meteorites in outer space. This serves to fill in another blank in our understanding of the rise of life from nonliving material.

A recursive vesicle-based model protocell with a primitive model cell cycle
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4598553/
Volbrigade wrote: -- as many evolutionists themselves have begrudgingly acknowledged.

It is a failed theorem in it's attempt to explain the spectrum of flora and fauna presented to us.
The idea that science has largely discarded evolution as a "failed theory" is almost entirely a myth originated and perpetuated by believers. Like the newly formed Trump administration, such claims are a form of "alternate reality." Claims and allegations which are not founded in fact.

First, we should clear up the basic mistake made by most anti-scientific non believers, that a scientific theory signifies nothing more than a vague notion.

Wikipedia
Scientific Theory
A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is acquired through the scientific method and repeatedly tested and confirmed through observation and experimentation. Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge.

It is important to note that the definition of a "scientific theory" (often ambiguously contracted to "theory" for the sake of brevity, including in this page) as used in the disciplines of science is significantly different from, and in contrast to, the common vernacular usage of the word "theory". As used in everyday non-scientific speech, "theory" implies that something is an unsubstantiated and speculative guess, conjecture, or hypothesis; such a usage is the opposite of a scientific theory. These different usages are comparable to the differing, and often opposing, usages of the term "prediction" in science (less ambiguously called a "scientific prediction") versus "prediction" in non-scientific vernacular speech, the latter of which may even imply a mere hope.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_theory

Believers consistently declare that the "theory" of evolution has never been proven. At what point does something become proven, if not by the preponderance of evidence? The same claim might well be made for the "theory" of gravity. We don't fully understand all of the aspects of how gravity works either. From this you might well decide to declare that gravitational theory is a bunch of scientific hokum. And to this conclusion I suggest that you test it out for yourself by holding a large rock over your foot and letting go of it. The "theory" of evolution just as sound as gravitational theory, because it works within our expectations and because it is founded on an an enormous series of fact based observations and findings.
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

Volbrigade
Banned
Banned

Post #55

Post by Volbrigade »

[Replying to post 54 by Tired of the Nonsense]

Thank you for your response. It was a well-stated representation of the case, and you obviously expended some time and effort on it, and I truly appreciate it.

I read it with great interest. There was some information in it I was unfamiliar with, and I always appreciate the opportunity to be exposed to new information.

Volbrigade wrote:

A Law implies -- "demands", actually -- a Law Giver.

Human laws require a law giver, this is true. Human laws are not inviolate however. We break them all the time. Physical laws ARE inviolate however. They cannot be broken. So they don't really draw a direct comparison with the sort of laws given by lawmakers. Instead the observed nature of inviolate physical laws directly serve to contradict the supposed existence of a law giver/givers who can manipulate the laws of physics at will. Because all observation indicates that the laws of physics cannot be altered or manipulated under any circumstances.
What you're stating is a belief system. Of course "human laws are not inviolate". That is why our rights are "endowed by our Creator". If they weren't, there is no sense in which they could be called 'unalienable"; they would merely exist at the pleasure of whoever had the most power. They would not be "rights" -- merely "privileges", granted or withheld by whim.

I bring that in to make a point. All of this fits together. The worldview that states that randomly assembled viruses informed randomly assembled cells how to grow from pond scum not eagles into men, is also the worldview that justifies the death camp and the pleasure killer.

God is sovereign over the natural laws that He has ordained. Not the other way around.

And occasionally He supersedes those laws, in order to make a point. As when He casually instructs the fungible hydrogen and oxygen atoms that composed the Red Sea, at a precise juncture in time and space, to organize into a temporary pattern of parting; like a conductor directing an orchestra.
Believers consistently declare that the "theory" of evolution has never been proven. At what point does something become proven, if not by the preponderance of evidence? The same claim might well be made for the "theory" of gravity. We don't fully understand all of the aspects of how gravity works either. From this you might well decide to declare that gravitational theory is a bunch of scientific hokum. And to this conclusion I suggest that you test it out for yourself by holding a large rock over your foot and letting go of it.
I followed your suggestion. Repeating the action produced the same results, over and over. I am finally convinced that "gravity" is more than just a theory. I am writing this from the waiting room of an urgent care center.
The "theory" of evolution just as sound as gravitational theory, because it works within our expectations and because it is founded on an an enormous series of fact based observations and findings.
A bit of a non sequitur here. While my aching foot attests to the validity of the gravitational theorem; I have no such means of verifying the claims regarding the assembling of viruses by mindless, random processes; and the increases in information required to get from microbes to men. I do acknowledge the ingenuity involved in generating such a theorem; but I also acknowledge that it is an ingenuity necessitated by an assumption: "God didn't do it. So what did?"

Which brings us back to the quantum foam, and the origin of energy, and the causes for our dimensional reality, and all the rest.

The simple fact is, the microbes-to-men paradigm requires so many coincidental occurrences -- you did a fine job of cataloging some of them, above -- that the mathematical probability of all of them occurring simultaneously is nil. It simply does not exist.

Ergo: God does.

Because there HAS to be an explanation -- right?

So, again -- it is a choice. You can choose to believe that "protons, neutrons and electrons that once formed rocks, can become, over time, complex enough to form microbes, and then, over still more time, complex enough to form humans. All driven by the unrelenting driving force that is quantum mechanics..."

And construct models based on that belief.

Or you can choose to believe in the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. And construct models based on that belief.

In many, if not most, cases, those models will agree, based on observation, measurement, and repeated empirical verification. Both my large screen TV, and my doctor bill for a fractured bone in my foot, attest to this.

When it comes to origins and development, there is obvious disagreement. That disagreement is reflected in the existence of gulags and gas chambers, regarding the former:

and free speech and representational democracy, regarding the latter.

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #56

[Replying to Volbrigade]
Volbrigade wrote: What you're stating is a belief system.
Everything we think we know is ultimately a type of belief system. Being human we are always faced with the possibility of being wrong concerning just about anything. What we consider "knowledge" is simply a matter of the degrees of supporting physical evidence which gives us reason to believe a thing is valid and true. My belief system indicates that when I leap into the air, I will not fly off of the planet and disappear into outer space. Why do I "believe" this? And the answer of course is observation and experience. It is a lesson about the nature of the laws of physics associated with planet earth that a mysterious force immediately pulls back to the ground again. A lesson every living creature soon learns. It's perfectly possible to imagine sailing straight up into the sky when we give our most monumental leaps upward, but all experience and observation indicates that that we will quickly return to the ground again. And this is the difference between imagination (make believe) and practical empirical observation. Empirical observation is a type of belief system predicated on practical experience, as opposed to make believe, which is a type of belief system based on that which is imagined. Like believing that an invisible part of you will journey to an invisible place to reside with invisible friends when you die. Something which you imagine to be true but for which you have not the slightest bit of tangible supporting evidence. Empirical observation indicates that dead things break down and return to the basic elements from which they were constructed. That is pure observation.
Volbrigade wrote: Of course "human laws are not inviolate". That is why our rights are "endowed by our Creator". If they weren't, there is no sense in which they could be called 'unalienable"; they would merely exist at the pleasure of whoever had the most power. They would not be "rights" -- merely "privileges", granted or withheld by whim.
Exodus 20:
"Thou shalt not kill."
KJV

Numbers 31
[15] And Moses said unto them, Have ye saved all the women alive?
[16] Behold, these caused the children of Israel, through the counsel of Balaam, to commit trespass against the LORD in the matter of Peor, and there was a plague among the congregation of the LORD.
[17] Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him.
[18] But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.

Joshua 6
[20] So the people shouted when the priests blew with the trumpets: and it came to pass, when the people heard the sound of the trumpet, and the people shouted with a great shout, that the wall fell down flat, so that the people went up into the city, every man straight before him, and they took the city.
[21] And they utterly destroyed all that was in the city, both man and woman, young and old, and ox, and sheep, and ass, with the edge of the sword.

Ezekiel 9
[4] And the LORD said unto him, Go through the midst of the city, through the midst of Jerusalem, and set a mark upon the foreheads of the men that sigh and that cry for all the abominations that be done in the midst thereof.
[5] And to the others he said in mine hearing, Go ye after him through the city, and smite: let not your eye spare, neither have ye pity:
[6] Slay utterly old and young, both maids, and little children, and women: but come not near any man upon whom is the mark; and begin at my sanctuary. Then they began at the ancient men which were before the house.
[7] And he said unto them, Defile the house, and fill the courts with the slain: go ye forth. And they went forth, and slew in the city.

Samuel 1 15:
[2] Thus saith the LORD of hosts, I remember that which Amalek did to Israel, how he laid wait for him in the way, when he came up from Egypt.
[3] Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass

God's laws are not inviolate either it would seem. Not so the laws of physics. They CANNOT be violated.
Volbrigade wrote: I followed your suggestion. Repeating the action produced the same results, over and over. I am finally convinced that "gravity" is more than just a theory. I am writing this from the waiting room of an urgent care center.

A bit of a non sequitur here. While my aching foot attests to the validity of the gravitational theorem;
When I first moved into my two story house 32 years ago, I thought nothing of running around on the roof, cleaning gutters and making repairs. When I wanted to get down I often simply jumped to the ground (from a lower roof). Now, at age 68, I have developed a good deal more respect for gravity. I hire younger men to clean the gutters and make repairs.
Volbrigade wrote: I have no such means of verifying the claims regarding the assembling of viruses by mindless, random processes; and the increases in information required to get from microbes to men. I do acknowledge the ingenuity involved in generating such a theorem; but I also acknowledge that it is an ingenuity necessitated by an assumption: "God didn't do it. So what did?"

Which brings us back to the quantum foam, and the origin of energy, and the causes for our dimensional reality, and all the rest.

The simple fact is, the microbes-to-men paradigm requires so many coincidental occurrences -- you did a fine job of cataloging some of them, above -- that the mathematical probability of all of them occurring simultaneously is nil. It simply does not exist.

Ergo: God does.

Because there HAS to be an explanation -- right?

So, again -- it is a choice. You can choose to believe that "protons, neutrons and electrons that once formed rocks, can become, over time, complex enough to form microbes, and then, over still more time, complex enough to form humans. All driven by the unrelenting driving force that is quantum mechanics..."

And construct models based on that belief.

Or you can choose to believe in the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. And construct models based on that belief.

In many, if not most, cases, those models will agree, based on observation, measurement, and repeated empirical verification. Both my large screen TV, and my doctor bill for a fractured bone in my foot, attest to this.

When it comes to origins and development, there is obvious disagreement. That disagreement is reflected in the existence of gulags and gas chambers, regarding the former:

and free speech and representational democracy, regarding the latter.
"I always appreciate the opportunity to be exposed to new information." -- Volbrigade

I will take you at your word and provide some information for you to be exposed to. Watching it of course is up to you. But it seems that you may have developed the need to sit quietly for a time anyway.

Origin of life

stromatolytes

Earliest life

Wikipedia
Punctuated equilibrium
Punctuated equilibrium (also called punctuated equilibria) is a theory in evolutionary biology which proposes that once species appear in the fossil record they will become stable, showing little evolutionary change for most of their geological history. This state is called stasis. When significant evolutionary change occurs, the theory proposes that it is generally restricted to rare and geologically rapid events of branching speciation called cladogenesis. Cladogenesis is the process by which a species splits into two distinct species, rather than one species gradually transforming into another.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punctuated_equilibrium

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #57

Post by Zzyzx »

Volbrigade wrote: Nope. Never been to school at all.
I do not challenge the truth of that statement.
Volbrigade wrote: They make you read and stuff there -- listen to boring lectures and suchlike.
Some of us do not regard learning and reading as boring. However, quite a few people seem quite adverse to both -- and may be anti-intellectual, anti-education, anti-science.
Volbrigade wrote: If you want a REAL education, try growing up in a brothel, like I did.
A brothel environment might provide a 'real education' about some aspects of life. However, there is much about life that such an 'education' is not likely to include.

Perhaps some people regard a brothel 'education' as sufficient . . . At least they should be well informed about SOMETHING.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Volbrigade
Banned
Banned

Post #58

Post by Volbrigade »

[Replying to post 56 by Tired of the Nonsense]
Volbrigade wrote:

What you're stating is a belief system.

Everything we think we know is ultimately a type of belief system. Being human we are always faced with the possibility of being wrong concerning just about anything. What we consider "knowledge" is simply a matter of the degrees of supporting physical evidence which gives us reason to believe a thing is valid and true...

Empirical observation is a type of belief system predicated on practical experience, as opposed to make believe, which is a type of belief system based on that which is imagined. Like believing that an invisible part of you will journey to an invisible place to reside with invisible friends when you die. Something which you imagine to be true but for which you have not the slightest bit of tangible supporting evidence. Empirical observation indicates that dead things break down and return to the basic elements from which they were constructed. That is pure observation.
It is true that there is no empirical evidence for the resurrection of Jesus Christ, or of those who are redeemed by His grace. The demand for empirical evidence in that regard is both sophist and unsophisticated; a contradiction inherent in the entire secular materialist m2m paradigm (one that I refer to as “Whateverism�, for convenience’s sake). Everything came from nothing; order from chaos; information from entropy; design from randomness; life from inert matter; complexity from simplicity; intelligence from inchoateness.

While the evidence for the resurrection is non-empirical, the circumstantial evidence abounds, and is sufficient to support an inference that we exist in a subset of another, larger, “higher�, extra-dimensional reality. To reject that inference is to consign oneself to such fabrications as those listed; and an embrace of a view of reality that I won’t, out of politeness, describe as “impoverished�, “academic�, “prosaic�, or “dull�; as it is not my intent to offend anyone’s belief system.
Volbrigade wrote:

Of course "human laws are not inviolate". That is why our rights are "endowed by our Creator". If they weren't, there is no sense in which they could be called 'unalienable"; they would merely exist at the pleasure of whoever had the most power. They would not be "rights" -- merely "privileges", granted or withheld by whim.
Exodus 20:
"Thou shalt not kill."KJV

Numbers 31
[15] And Moses said unto them, Have ye saved all the women alive?
[16] Behold, these caused the children of Israel, through the counsel of Balaam, to commit trespass against the LORD in the matter of Peor, and there was a plague among the congregation of the LORD.
[17] Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him.
[18] But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves....

Etc.
Who shall not kill?

“THOU shall not kill.� We are not permitted to take the life of another human being, without cause. There are legitimate, lawful circumstances under which human life may be taken. Capital punishment is one. Warfare is another. Self defense…

I suggest your citing Scripture here is to imply a contradiction in God’s word. There isn’t one.

The commandment is from God, not to Him.

In a sense, God kills everyday. Death is a consequence of man’s disobedience, which led to his knowledge of evil, as well as good. It is a condition that God put upon that disobedience; a curse put upon creation as a result of man’s sin, and “for his sake�; an ever present reminder of the dreadful consequences of that sin; and yet a merciful part of His plan, so that we would not live forever in a fallen state (which is what the “guarding of the Tree of Life� business is all about).

In fact, that is why God created a temporal environment. To put limits on both man’s evil, and his suffering. We all must die; the only question is with regard to how much time God allows us. Which refers us back to the commandment: the intentional killing of another human being does not deprive the victim solely of his life — death is a certainty — but of his time.

And that is strictly God’s province — not ours.

The benefit of existing in a temporal environment is that no matter what our condition within it, no matter what our hardship or suffering, it will come to an end (even though it may seem never ending). And to those that “overcome�, there is the promise of eternal life (see above).

The scriptures you cite, which refer to the conquest of Canaan by “the children of Promise� (the descendants of Abraham [the Father of Faith�], Isaac, and Jacob), is actually a very important study. But it is “strong meat�, and not for those who are still on a “milk diet� (1 Cor. 3:2, Hebrews 5:12).

But even milk is of little or no value to those who have not yet been “born� (spiritually). ;)

Those on a meat diet know that we are ALL “dead in our trespasses�, until we have been justified by faith, and reborn in Christ. That is why the FIRST two commandments are concerned with the Creator’ identity, and that we shall have “no other God� before Him.

A commandment violated culturally by both Jew and Gentile alike, to ghastly affect; as with the inhabitants of Canaan, who sacrificed their children to their idols.

Come to think of it — that’s what we do, too: sacrifice our unborn children at the altar of recreational sex and promiscuity.
I always appreciate the opportunity to be exposed to new information.
I will take you at your word and provide some information for you to be exposed to. Watching it of course is up to you. But it seems that you may have developed the need to sit quietly for a time anyway.
How thoughtful of you! I think we can all benefit from periods of “sitting quietly�. So, in the same solicitous spirit, here is a link to some information that you will find beneficial, as well, should you develop any interest in “overcoming� the somewhat superficial view of our origins, history, and destiny which we are all programmed with (sorry -- in searching, it became apparent that the film is not yet available for free [except in Russian]; alas, we live in a fallen world, after all...):

https://usstore.creation.com/evolution- ... -heels-661

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #59

[Replying to Volbrigade]
Volbrigade wrote: It is true that there is no empirical evidence for the resurrection of Jesus Christ, or of those who are redeemed by His grace. The demand for empirical evidence in that regard is both sophist and unsophisticated; a contradiction inherent in the entire secular materialist m2m paradigm (one that I refer to as “Whateverism�, for convenience’s sake). Everything came from nothing; order from chaos; information from entropy; design from randomness; life from inert matter; complexity from simplicity; intelligence from inchoateness.
According to the central claim of Christianity, the corpse of Jesus came back to life and then flew away. Doubting the reasonable reality of this claim is what you consider to be "sophist and unsophisticated?" What do consider NOT believing the story of Santa and his team of flying reindeer to be? Juvenile?
Volbrigade wrote: Everything came from nothing; order from chaos; information from entropy; design from randomness; life from inert matter; complexity from simplicity; intelligence from inchoateness.
I have consistently indicated that everything that is anything came from energy. When everything in the universe was all together in one place, THAT was simplicity. From increasing chaos has come complexity. Life is nothing BUT combinations of inert matter. It's a fact you cannot undo by denying it.
Volbrigade wrote: While the evidence for the resurrection is non-empirical, the circumstantial evidence abounds, and is sufficient to support an inference that we exist in a subset of another, larger, “higher�, extra-dimensional reality. To reject that inference is to consign oneself to such fabrications as those listed; and an embrace of a view of reality that I won’t, out of politeness, describe as “impoverished�, “academic�, “prosaic�, or “dull�; as it is not my intent to offend anyone’s belief system.
The evidence, such as any actual evidence exists, indicates that Joseph's new tomb proved to be empty on Sunday morning. The "evidence" also indicates that the disciples of Jesus were the last one's to be in physical possession of the body. Acts makes it very clear that the disciples began spreading the rumor that Jesus had arisen from the dead, beginning some six weeks after Jesus was crucified. The only one's that claimed to be witness the "risen" Jesus were his disciples. The body of Jesus disappeared, and the disciples began spreading the rumor that Jesus had risen from the dead. Just as the Jewish priests had predicted.

Matt.27:
[63] Saying, Sir, we remember that that deceiver said, while he was yet alive, After three days I will rise again.
[64] Command therefore that the sepulchre be made sure until the third day, lest his disciples come by night, and steal him away, and say unto the people, He is risen from the dead: so the last error shall be worse than the first.

The Jewish priests then went out and took possession of a CLOSED TOMB. Which proved to be empty on the following morning. There is no such thing as "circumstantial evidence" that a corpse came back and flew away. The obvious answer is that the disciples, who were already in possession of the body of Jesus, simply moved the body elsewhere for burial, and that the Jewish priests took possession of an empty tomb. Joseph's newly constructed family crypt was never intended to be the final resting place of Jesus. Since it was late in the day, Joseph's tomb was simply a convenient private place that was used to wash and prepare the body of Jesus, because the tomb was "nigh at hand" (John 19:42) to the place where Jesus was executed.

Am I suggesting that Christians have been deceived for the last 2,000 years? Is it reasonable to suggest that billions of devout Christians have simply been wrong this entire time about the claims upon which the entire edifice of Christianity stands or falls? Is that even thinkable? Well, if you suppose, and are without doubt, that billions of non Christian devout religious believers have simply been wrong this entire time about claims upon which the entire edifice of their system of belief stands, or that they would ever, no matter how briefly even briefly consider the possibility that they might be wrong, no matter what logic and the evidence indicates. Then, yes, I am suggesting that Christians are just as capable of being fulla bulla and totally deceived as is any other religious believer.
Volbrigade wrote: Who shall not kill?

“THOU shall not kill.� We are not permitted to take the life of another human being, without cause. There are legitimate, lawful circumstances under which human life may be taken. Capital punishment is one. Warfare is another. Self defense…
And so you are proclaiming killing every last woman and child, right down to the suckling babies "self defence?" These were helpless, beaten, DEFENCELESS people. When you kill a defenceless person, ON PURPOSE, that is the very definition of MURDER. When you kill them by the thousands, even the children and babies, that is the definition of vile and repugnant.
Volbrigade wrote: I suggest your citing Scripture here is to imply a contradiction in God’s word. There isn’t one.

The commandment is from God, not to Him.
And now you are indicating that God is perfectly capable of acting in vile and repugnant ways. The same God who makes deformed babies. The "God of love" who orders the disemboweling and beheading of children and babies. A God who not only condones but actually orders THIS:

A God I do not suppose ever existed to begin with, but you actually WORSHIP!
Volbrigade wrote: In a sense, God kills everyday. Death is a consequence of man’s disobedience, which led to his knowledge of evil, as well as good. It is a condition that God put upon that disobedience; a curse put upon creation as a result of man’s sin, and “for his sake�; an ever present reminder of the dreadful consequences of that sin; and yet a merciful part of His plan, so that we would not live forever in a fallen state (which is what the “guarding of the Tree of Life� business is all about).
Adam and Eve disobeyed, and therefore that justifies killing children and babies, or causing them to be born deformed?
Volbrigade wrote: In fact, that is why God created a temporal environment. To put limits on both man’s evil, and his suffering. We all must die; the only question is with regard to how much time God allows us. Which refers us back to the commandment: the intentional killing of another human being does not deprive the victim solely of his life — death is a certainty — but of his time.

And that is strictly God’s province — not ours.
Then let God do His own freaking dirty work! But according to the OT God ordered the Israelites to hack all of them to pieces with the edge of their swords. Because they said God commanded it. And because they said so, and you have chosen to believe it, you not only support but seek to justify the most heinous actions possible for humans to take against other humans. And you call it righteous. And you can't understand why anyone could possibly look at the Bible and consider it a record of evil and reprehensible acts.
Volbrigade wrote: How thoughtful of you! I think we can all benefit from periods of “sitting quietly�. So, in the same solicitous spirit, here is a link to some information that you will find beneficial, as well, should you develop any interest in “overcoming� the somewhat superficial view of our origins, history, and destiny which we are all programmed with (sorry -- in searching, it became apparent that the film is not yet available for free [except in Russian]; alas, we live in a fallen world, after all...):

https://usstore.creation.com/evolution- ... -heels-661
No fair. I gave you three short videos to watch. I did not assign you a book report.

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #60

To Volbridge

This is the photo I intended to post in my last posting to you.

This is what you are claiming God ordered, and you are currently defending as a necessary act of war.