Where is God

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Where is God

Post #1

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Jehovah's Witnesses believe God to be in Heaven, but that he can see everywhere and that his power can reach any part of the universe.

My question is: Where do you believe god is?

- Does he live Heaven?
- Does he literally live Inside of you (in your heart or another organ)?
- Is he literally everywhere?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Peds nurse
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by Peds nurse »

I believe that God is in Heaven, but manifests Himself in this world through His Spirit.

TheBeardedDude
Scholar

Post #3

Post by TheBeardedDude »

I believe gods are relegated to the imagination.

polonius
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by polonius »

This thread could quickly turn into philosophy.

If we consider God to be an eternal entity (or being) not composed of matter, then he is everywhere, that is, he is not space-occupying.

God in heaven, is a nice story, but rather meaningless if one tries to describe heaven as a place.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #5

Post by JehovahsWitness »

polonius.advice wrote: This thread could quickly turn into philosophy.

If we consider God to be an eternal entity (or being) not composed of matter, then he is everywhere, that is, he is not space-occupying.

God in heaven, is a nice story, but rather meaningless if one tries to describe heaven as a place.

Well I was hoping for people to use the bible as the basis for their answers. The scriptures do say God is in Heaven, but I have heard people also refer to what they understand to be Jesus' words that the kingdom is within.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

dio9
Under Probation

Post #6

Post by dio9 »

God has no body , has no inside or outside.

Willum
Savant

Post #7

Post by Willum »

Well, the best explanation is that God IS everything.
This allows him to be all-knowing and all-powerful.

I don't envy you your trade-offs, however.
Respectfully,

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by ttruscott »

Willum wrote: Well, the best explanation is that God IS everything.
This allows him to be all-knowing and all-powerful.

I don't envy you your trade-offs, however.
Respectfully,
Hmmmm, unless you have another way of looking at it, GOD then made part of HIMself to be evil which HE hates and then other parts of HIMself to suffer unbelievably for no reason, choosing to rescue some parts from suffering but not all and sending those other parts of HIMself into hell. I'm pretty sure this can't be right...
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

postroad
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by postroad »

[Replying to post 8 by ttruscott] If all humanity has it's first cause and continued existence from God, it would follow that which alone allows us to experience reality, created that reality and also experiences what we experience.
Job 34:12-15New International Version (NIV)

12 It is unthinkable that God would do wrong,
that the Almighty would pervert justice.
13 Who appointed him over the earth?
Who put him in charge of the whole world?
14 If it were his intention
and he withdrew his spirit and breath,
15 all humanity would perish together
and mankind would return to the dust.
Keep in mind that God had just allowed Satan to kill Job's family and destroy his worldly goods while inflicting him with painful boils.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Re: Where is God

Post #10

Post by OnceConvinced »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Jehovah's Witnesses believe God to be in Heaven, but that he can see everywhere and that his power can reach any part of the universe.

My question is: Where do you believe god is?

- Does he live Heaven?
I guess it depends where Heaven is. Perhaps Heaven is an alternate universe which can link with this one. Who knows. The bible does seem to indicate he's in Heaven, but also that he is omnipresent. Is that omnipresence something he is all the time or is it something he is if he chooses to be?
JehovahsWitness wrote: - Does he literally live Inside of you (in your heart or another organ)?
It's funny, there was is an old hymn that goes "You ask me how I know he lives. He liiiiiives within my hearrrrrt.

Which is really quite silly. How can anyone live in your heart? Your heart is a blood pumping organ and if we want to say it's a metaphor for your brain, that's kind of silly too. Why would God live in a brain?

Once an atheist workmate asked me why I believed that Jesus was still alive. That hymn came to mind and automatically I said "He lives within my heart" and then straight away I realised how absolutely ludicrous that sounded, so I quickly changed what I said "Because he's done so much for me. I've seen the reality of him in my life".

God is apparently so much bigger than just something that dwells in someone's brain or heart.
JehovahsWitness wrote: - Is he literally everywhere?
This was my belief as a Christian. As he was omnipresent, he was everywhere and could see everything you did. Which is why on Judgement Day he is going to be able to examine every part of your life. That's because he was there to witness every little bit and even every little thought you had.

Of course there is the issue of God forsaking Jesus on the cross. Where did he go? If he was omnipresent, how could he have abandoned Jesus there on the cross? Was Jesus wrong?

One thing we can see with the bible is it's all very contradictory. God lives in Heaven, he lives in our heart, he's everywhere....

Your thread is a good one because it really does expose a major bible contradiction. It does really expose bizarre and silly beliefs about God. It shows me that the bible writers all had different opinions on God and they weren't in unity.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World