Is there any such thing as 'Objective morality'?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

Objective is defined as: Existing independent of or external to the mind; actual or real: Based on observable phenomena; empirical: Uninfluenced by emotions or personal prejudices.

Thus, an 'objective morality' would have to be independent of human minds, emotions, prejudices.

WHERE would such 'morality' be found? In books written, transcribed, translated, edited, modified by humans?

Would 'objective morality' be found in religious organizations, dogma and traditions created by humans?

If it is proposed that one of the thousands of 'gods' provides 'objective morality', how, when, and where was that done (independent of human minds)?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Willum
Savant

Post #101

Post by Willum »

[Replying to DanieltheDragon]

I can see your point.
I do not agree with it, as I find objective morality could only come from two independent observers - capable of feeling or understanding the concept of morality.

Where they agree, I'd say it was objective, when it is only one, such as man, I would say there was no objectivity.

But like I say - I can see your point, and honor it.
I respectfully agree to disagree.