Facts or Faith

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Youkilledkenny
Sage

Facts or Faith

Post #1

Post by Youkilledkenny »

God doesn't like to reveal himself (in modern times at least - he had little issue revealing himself in Old Testament times it seems see burning bush for example) requiring FAITH to keep people on the hook. He refuses to use FACTS.
Why is this (aside from him not being real past human creation)?
Why does God want to use FAITH instead of FACTS?
Could it be FAITH builds confidence better than FACTS? In other words, does FAITH allow a stronger devotion than FACTS?
Or does God like playing a peek-a-boo game with humanity?

Or is there another reason why God doesn't 'do' FACTS instead relying on FAITH?

marco
Savant

Re: Facts or Faith

Post #2

Post by marco »

Youkilledkenny wrote:
Or is there another reason why God doesn't 'do' FACTS instead relying on FAITH?
Yes, there is. When silly Semele insisted that her lover, Jupiter, show himself in his real form the amorous god was reluctant to do so since his appearance would make her disintegrate. But he did, and she did. I think the same idea applied to Yahweh, for as I recall when he was asked to expose himself, it was a quick glimpse of his rear quarters and that was all. God shouts in the NT, again presumably since he'd pulverise everyone who looked up and in his mercy he wouldn't want that.

Another very good reason why God doesn't show himself, even if humans could tolerate the sighting, is that it encourages debate. Here on this very forum we have plenty of imaginative accounts of what God wants, what he's up to, how he plans things. If God simply came out of hiding, all this creative stuff would be lost.

I think he works in mysterious ways.

Youkilledkenny
Sage

Post #3

Post by Youkilledkenny »

[Replying to post 2 by marco]
If God simply came out of hiding, all this creative stuff would be lost.
I would hope not. People are resourceful. But, seeing Hollywood last few years, maybe I'm too optimistic
lol

marco
Savant

Post #4

Post by marco »

Youkilledkenny wrote: [Replying to post 2 by marco]
If God simply came out of hiding, all this creative stuff would be lost.
I would hope not. People are resourceful. But, seeing Hollywood last few years, maybe I'm too optimistic
lol
No, I didn't mean that poets, inventors, thinkers and so on would stop being creative. I meant the imaginative discussions involving where God is, how God is, and why we are might stop if God lived at number 93, The Avenue. He probably knows that familiarity breeds contempt... and maybe neglect.

Youkilledkenny
Sage

Post #5

Post by Youkilledkenny »

[Replying to post 4 by marco]

Don't worry - I'm sure people would still argue.
So many people on the planet all won't be able to agree on things - especially something like this.

marco
Savant

Post #6

Post by marco »

Youkilledkenny wrote: [Replying to post 4 by marco]

Don't worry - I'm sure people would still argue.
So many people on the planet all won't be able to agree on things - especially something like this.
But then would it not be a good idea for him to send an angel to a cave somewhere in the Middle East and state clearly that he's alive and well, and give a few instructions? Or less plausibly he could inform three minor potentates to follow a light in the sky that would get them to an old barn with a new mum in it and 144,000 angels singing pop songs in the sky. He did try, he did.

Savant

Post #7

Post by 1213 »

Youkilledkenny wrote: ...Or is there another reason why God doesn't 'do' FACTS instead relying on FAITH?
Maybe the problem is really the Münchhausen trilemma.
In epistemology, the Münchhausen trilemma is a thought experiment used to demonstrate the impossibility of proving any truth, even in the fields of logic and mathematics. If it is asked how any knowledge is known to be true, proof may be provided. Yet that same question can be asked of the proof, and any subsequent proof. The Münchhausen trilemma is that there are only three options when providing proof in this situation:
The circular argument, in which theory and proof support each other
The regressive argument, in which each proof requires a further proof, ad infinitum
The axiomatic argument, which rests on accepted precepts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%BCnchhausen_trilemma

Perhaps facts are quite subjective after all.

But I think people usually understand the meaning of faith wrongly. Bible gives few examples of faith. For example, Noah had faith and it meant he believed God when He said that the great flood is coming. Noah had faith (trust/loyalty) in God and he did what God said, all though he didn’t yet see the flood.

So, what do you think it means, when you think faith is required from modern people? Do you think the point is that you believe in the existence of God? I don’t think that is the point. According to the Bible, even demons believe that God is one. I don’t think that helps much.

You believe that God is one. You do well. The demons also believe, and shudder.

James 2:19

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by ttruscott »

Youkilledkenny wrote: God doesn't like to reveal himself ...requiring FAITH to keep people on the hook. He refuses to use FACTS.
Does the FACT that you have not gotten a FACT from GOD mean HE can't give any or that you are not yet a chosen recipient???
Why does God want to use FAITH instead of FACTS?
Proof destroys the free will of a choice. If you know death is to the left and life is to the right, who will turn left? GOD presents HIS claims and HIS warnings and HIS promises without proof so HE doesn't destroy our free will ability to choose what we want - a GOD who promises us salvation from any and all sin or no god and anyone who claims to be a god is a false god and a liar.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.