Did God forget about Israel?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

postroad
Prodigy

Did God forget about Israel?

Post #1

Post by postroad »

God sent the tribes of Israel into exile on account of their sins. Repeatedly he promised to restore them to the land. This has never happened or can it happen at this point. They had long since ceased to exist as a distinct people even before the first century. They could not accept or deny any Messiah. Question for debate. Are these references to a restored Israel all false prophecies?
Jeremiah 50:18-20New International Version (NIV)

18 Therefore this is what the Lord Almighty, the God of Israel, says:

“I will punish the king of Babylon and his land
as I punished the king of Assyria.
19 But I will bring Israel back to their own pasture,
and they will graze on Carmel and Bashan;
their appetite will be satisfied
on the hills of Ephraim and Gilead.
20 In those days, at that time,�
declares the Lord,
“search will be made for Israel’s guilt,
but there will be none,
and for the sins of Judah,
but none will be found,
for I will forgive the remnant I spare.

postroad
Prodigy

Post #2

Post by postroad »

Just keeping the thread alive.
Ezekiel 36Ezekiel 38

Ezekiel 37:15-25New International Version (NIV)

One Nation Under One King

15 The word of the Lord came to me: 16 “Son of man, take a stick of wood and write on it, ‘Belonging to Judah and the Israelites associated with him.’ Then take another stick of wood, and write on it, ‘Belonging to Joseph (that is, to Ephraim) and all the Israelites associated with him.’ 17 Join them together into one stick so that they will become one in your hand.

18 “When your people ask you, ‘Won’t you tell us what you mean by this?’ 19 say to them, ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: I am going to take the stick of Joseph—which is in Ephraim’s hand—and of the Israelite tribes associated with him, and join it to Judah’s stick. I will make them into a single stick of wood, and they will become one in my hand.’ 20 Hold before their eyes the sticks you have written on 21 and say to them, ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: I will take the Israelites out of the nations where they have gone. I will gather them from all around and bring them back into their own land. 22 I will make them one nation in the land, on the mountains of Israel. There will be one king over all of them and they will never again be two nations or be divided into two kingdoms. 23 They will no longer defile themselves with their idols and vile images or with any of their offenses, for I will save them from all their sinful backsliding,[a] and I will cleanse them. They will be my people, and I will be their God.

24 “‘My servant David will be king over them, and they will all have one shepherd. They will follow my laws and be careful to keep my decrees. 25 They will live in the land I gave to my servant Jacob, the land where your ancestors lived. They and their children and their children’s children will live there forever, and David my servant will be their prince forever.

tam
Savant

Post #3

Post by tam »

Peace to you postroad!

God did not forget about them. What makes you think it cannot happen? Keep in mind that just because people may have forgotten who they are (Israel, descended from one of the tribes), does not mean that God does not know who and where each and every member of the tribes of Israel are in this world.

As well, Judah was present at the coming of the Messiah (the Jews - made up of two tribes: Judah and Benjamin). Samaria was present as well (the Samaritans: made up of the remaining tribes). Judea and Samaria. Descended from the Kingdom of Judah and from the Kingdom of Israel, respectively, after Israel split into two factions and Kingdoms. (upon Solomon's death).

Even in Revelation, 12 000 people from 12 tribes of Israel, numbering 144 000, are specifically mentioned and reserved (the remnant that God keeps for Himself, who rule with Christ as kings and priests, mentioned at the end of your Jeremiah quote).

Peace to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

postroad
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by postroad »

[Replying to post 3 by tam Israel was composed of 10 tribes. The Samariatens were the despised descendants of whoever was not sent into exile intermarried with the Gentiles brought in to settle the land. Even 2000 years ago the identity of the tribes of Israel was lost as they had been completely assimilated into the nations into which they had been exiled. The text indicates that they will be forgiven unconditionally and restored to the land eternally. That they will be brought into perfect Law abidance under the rule of the actual resurected king David through eternal generations of their descendants. Sound a lot like what Christians insist the Jews clung to in disobedience to Christ.

Monta
Guru

Post #5

Post by Monta »

[Replying to post 2 by postroad]

"24 “‘My servant David will be king over them, and they will all have one shepherd. They will follow my laws and be careful to keep my decrees. 25 They will live in the land I gave to my servant Jacob, the land where your ancestors lived. They and their children and their children’s children will live there forever, and David my servant will be their prince forever."

In these scriopture quoted it also says that 'he will save the remnant'
--those who remain in the faith.

As David is dead it can not mean the old King David would be the King.
The whole OT is written in correspondences and representations; here it relates to what does King David represent, that is what will rule Israel. And yet, what did he represent? Why is he acknowledged in the NT also as he was not a nice person.

Uriah the Hittite (Hebrew: �וּרִיָּה הַחִתִּֽי‎‎ ’Ūrîy�h ha-Ḥittî) was a soldier in King David’s army mentioned in the Second Book of Samuel. He was the husband of Bathsheba and was murdered by order of King David. Uriah's wife had become pregnant by King David in Uriah's absence.

postroad
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by postroad »

[Replying to post 5 by Monta]
And yet God said of him.
1 Kings 14:8
I tore the kingdom away from the house of David and gave it to you, but you have not been like my servant David, who kept my commands and followed me with all his heart, doing only what was right in my eyes.

postroad
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by postroad »

I am trying to understand what you are stating. Do you mean to say that what God is confidently proclaiming he will acomplish by his own hand is dependant on human obedience in the future? How can this be? Surely he would have been well aware of future events at the time of his proclamations? If he stated with absolute certainty to acomplish these things knowing full well that he would not be, that should be of concern to anyone who puts their faith in him.

Willum
Savant

Post #8

Post by Willum »

Interesting:
What you are saying conflicts-
Jesus is supposedly related to David through Mary, as he is obviously not related through Joseph.

Therefore David did not create an "Israelite," but a Hittite.

In any case, Nebuchadnezzar (a real person) is documented as destroying the line of David, and believe me, he cared about eliminating birth lines, even through unlawful joining.

I suppose, it is just another commentary on the quality of the people God promotes:
Unlawful children are condemned three generations, and part of the gene pool.
Inbreeding through Lot and his daughters.
Inbreeding through Noah and sons.
Moses and most other icons are murderers, thieves and so on.
Esau's birthright was held hostage for his life, by his reprehensible brother.
And the hits just keep on coming.

God doesn't seem to endeavor to maintain any character or property that would make a people distinct. In fact, quite the opposite.

He seems insistent on getting OTHER cultures and genealogies INTO the line of Israel.

That is a dilemma beyond this poor mind.

Monta
Guru

Post #9

Post by Monta »

postroad wrote: [Replying to post 5 by Monta]
I am trying to understand what you are stating. Do you mean to say that what God is confidently proclaiming he will acomplish by his own hand is dependant on human obedience in the future? How can this be? Surely he would have been well aware of future events at the time of his proclamations? If he stated with absolute certainty to acomplish these things knowing full well that he would not be, that should be of concern to anyone who puts their faith in him.
This is what postcard quoted:
1 Kings 14:8
I tore the kingdom away from the house of David and gave it to you, but you have not been like my servant David, who kept my commands and followed me with all his heart, doing only what was right in my eyes.//

I have faith that Lord God will do according to his will but have doubts that we interpret His words/prophesies prperly.
David was responsible for the death of two people yet he was singled out by the Lord to acknoledge David's kingdom in the New Dipsensation of the New Testament. What I am saying is that we simply do not understand...... must accept Lord's ways even if we do not.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Did God forget about Israel?

Post #10

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by postroad]

No, its a matter of historical fact that a remnant of Hebrews returned to their Jewish homeland after the Babylonian conquest in the 6th century BCE.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8