Did God forget about Israel?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

postroad
Prodigy

Did God forget about Israel?

Post #1

Post by postroad »

God sent the tribes of Israel into exile on account of their sins. Repeatedly he promised to restore them to the land. This has never happened or can it happen at this point. They had long since ceased to exist as a distinct people even before the first century. They could not accept or deny any Messiah. Question for debate. Are these references to a restored Israel all false prophecies?
Jeremiah 50:18-20New International Version (NIV)

18 Therefore this is what the Lord Almighty, the God of Israel, says:

“I will punish the king of Babylon and his land
as I punished the king of Assyria.
19 But I will bring Israel back to their own pasture,
and they will graze on Carmel and Bashan;
their appetite will be satisfied
on the hills of Ephraim and Gilead.
20 In those days, at that time,�
declares the Lord,
“search will be made for Israel’s guilt,
but there will be none,
and for the sins of Judah,
but none will be found,
for I will forgive the remnant I spare.

postroad
Prodigy

Re: Did God forget about Israel?

Post #21

Post by postroad »

[Replying to post 20 by Checkpoint] Israel,the northern kingdom was extinct in the first century. Even Paul had to concede this fact eventually. His workaround was that Israel was Jesus.
Galatians 3:15-29New International Version (NIV)

The Law and the Promise

15 Brothers and sisters, let me take an example from everyday life. Just as no one can set aside or add to a human covenant that has been duly established, so it is in this case. 16 The promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. Scripture does not say “and to seeds,� meaning many people, but “and to your seed,�[a] meaning one person, who is Christ. 17 What I mean is this: The law, introduced 430 years later, does not set aside the covenant previously established by God and thus do away with the promise. 18 For if the inheritance depends on the law, then it no longer depends on the promise; but God in his grace gave it to Abraham through a promise.

19 Why, then, was the law given at all? It was added because of transgressions until the Seed to whom the promise referred had come. The law was given through angels and entrusted to a mediator. 20 A mediator, however, implies more than one party; but God is one.

21 Is the law, therefore, opposed to the promises of God? Absolutely not! For if a law had been given that could impart life, then righteousness would certainly have come by the law. 22 But Scripture has locked up everything under the control of sin, so that what was promised, being given through faith in Jesus Christ, might be given to those who believe.

Children of God

23 Before the coming of this faith, we were held in custody under the law, locked up until the faith that was to come would be revealed. 24 So the law was our guardian until Christ came that we might be justified by faith. 25 Now that this faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian.

26 So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith, 27 for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.
Paul changed his tune about all the Jews being saved. After the debacle in Jerusalem concerning his divine revelation that Christ was the end of the Law he barely escaped with his life. He had gone bringing financial relief for the home Church and they tried to kill him.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #22

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to post 21 by postroad]
Paul changed his tune about all the Jews being saved.
He never said they would be.

Please answer my questions, simply, briefly, and clearly, if you will. Thanks.

postroad
Prodigy

Post #23

Post by postroad »

Checkpoint wrote:
postroad wrote: [Replying to post 16 by Monta]
Yes but that is what the NT teaches
Rather, the NT teaches this:
1 Timothy 2:

3 This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior,
4 who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

2 Peter 3:9

The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some count slackness; but is longsuffering to you-ward, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
The issue here is just who becomes "the elect", and how and when that happens.
Ok fine.
2 Timothy 1:9
He has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time,

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #24

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 5 by Monta]
As David is dead it can not mean the old King David would be the King.
I agree, I mean, we all know dead people don't come back to life, it's impossible...right? Right?

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

postroad
Prodigy

Post #25

Post by postroad »

[Replying to post 24 by rikuoamero]

Actually the prophecy did include raising David from the dead. That is why the NT points out that David was still dead. Basically stating that the OT prophecy was not to be understood literally. Just like the actual return of Elijah was glossed over as being fulfilled in John the Baptist.
Jeremiah 30:1-10New International Version (NIV)

Restoration of Israel

30 This is the word that came to Jeremiah from the Lord: 2 “This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: ‘Write in a book all the words I have spoken to you. 3 The days are coming,’ declares the Lord, ‘when I will bring my people Israel and Judah back from captivity[a] and restore them to the land I gave their ancestors to possess,’ says the Lord.�

4 These are the words the Lord spoke concerning Israel and Judah: 5 “This is what the Lord says:

“‘Cries of fear are heard—
terror, not peace.
6 Ask and see:
Can a man bear children?
Then why do I see every strong man
with his hands on his stomach like a woman in labor,
every face turned deathly pale?
7 How awful that day will be!
No other will be like it.
It will be a time of trouble for Jacob,
but he will be saved out of it.
8 “‘In that day,’ declares the Lord Almighty,
‘I will break the yoke off their necks
and will tear off their bonds;
no longer will foreigners enslave them.
9 Instead, they will serve the Lord their God
and David their king,
whom I will raise up for them.
10 “‘So do not be afraid, Jacob my servant;
do not be dismayed, Israel,’
declares the Lord.
‘I will surely save you out of a distant place,
your descendants from the land of their exile.
Jacob will again have peace and security,
and no one will make him afraid.

Monta
Guru

Post #26

Post by Monta »

[Replying to post 13 by postroad]

14 “‘The days are coming,’ declares the Lord, ‘when I will fulfill the good promise I made to the people of Israel and Judah.

15 “‘In those days and at that time
I will make a righteous Branch sprout from David’s line;
he will do what is just and right in the land.
16 In those days Judah will be saved
and Jerusalem will live in safety.
This is the name by which it[c] will be called:
The Lord Our Righteous Savior.’
17 For this is what the Lord says: ‘David will never fail to have a man to sit on the throne of Israel, 18 nor will the Levitical priests ever fail to have a man to stand before me continually to offer burnt offerings, to burn grain offerings and to present sacrifices.’�//

The way I see it the Lord has fulfilled all the promises to Israel/Judah.
Jesus came from the line of David; Jerusalem will live in safety, is it not speaking of the Heavenely Jerusalem as confirmed in Revelation?

v17 is so out of line if we try to fit it into earthly scenario as Jews have stopped burned sacrifices 2000ys ago.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #27

Post by onewithhim »

postroad wrote: God sent the tribes of Israel into exile on account of their sins. Repeatedly he promised to restore them to the land. This has never happened or can it happen at this point. They had long since ceased to exist as a distinct people even before the first century. They could not accept or deny any Messiah. Question for debate. Are these references to a restored Israel all false prophecies?
Jeremiah 50:18-20New International Version (NIV)

18 Therefore this is what the Lord Almighty, the God of Israel, says:

“I will punish the king of Babylon and his land
as I punished the king of Assyria.
19 But I will bring Israel back to their own pasture,
and they will graze on Carmel and Bashan;
their appetite will be satisfied
on the hills of Ephraim and Gilead.
20 In those days, at that time,�
declares the Lord,
“search will be made for Israel’s guilt,
but there will be none,
and for the sins of Judah,
but none will be found,
for I will forgive the remnant I spare.
Yes it did happen. It happened 70 years after Israel was captured and taken to Babylon, after the destruction of Jerusalem (c.607 B.C.). Cyrus granted them the freedom to go back to their land and rebuild the temple and their cities.

postroad
Prodigy

Post #28

Post by postroad »

[Replying to post 26 by Monta] The throne of Israel meant a united Kingdom of both Judah and the northern tribes of Israel.

postroad
Prodigy

Post #29

Post by postroad »

[Replying to post 27 by onewithhim]
Why are you calling the kingdom of Judah, Israel? The two kingdoms went into exile at different times. The northern kingdom fell first and has never been brought back.

Willum
Savant

Post #30

Post by Willum »

[Replying to postroad]

This means that a unity, even a modern unity of Jews and Muslims, is a reasonable conclusion.

Which makes sense, Christians have been the enemy of unified Jews and Muslims far more often than not.

That God endorses this unity bodes ill for the present nation of Israel. It says to me; the Jews old lament -

God didn't forget Israel, but Jews (or in this case, and maybe, by success of the Israeli empire) Jerusalem/Palestine forgot God.