Is it difficult for you to be a moral person?

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #1

Post by Divine Insight »

Obviously this question depends on what a person considers to be "moral". So I'd like to ask this question of two groups.

Questions to the Theists:

Is it difficult for you to live up to the moral values and behavior that you believe are required by your God?

If so, why? Can you specify any specific moral issues that you have difficulty with in particular?

For Christian Theists specifically:
In Christianity Jesus taught: "Be perfect like your Father in heaven is perfect." (Matthew 5:48)

Obviously, in Christianity this is only referring to moral behavior. As a Christian do you feel that it would be impossible to be perfectly moral? And if so, why do you think Jesus would ask people to do this if it's not humanly possible to do so?

Questions to the Non-Theists:

Is it difficult for you to live up to your own subjective moral or ethical values?

If so, why? Can you specify any moral or ethical values you hold that you find difficult to live up to?

Question to Both Groups:

If you find it difficult to live up to whatever moral standards you are concerned with, do you feel that this difficulty is caused by the fact that you are living in this world? Perhaps due to imperfections or other immoral actors or obstacles within this world?

If this is the case, do you feel that it would be far easier to live up to the moral values you are concerned with if you lived in a world where everyone else was also behaving in the same moral way that you consider to be moral or ethical?

Note: This is just for discussion and comments. Nothing to debate here.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

OnceConvinced
Savant

Re: Is it difficult for you to be a moral person?

Post #2

Post by OnceConvinced »

Divine Insight wrote:

Questions to the Non-Theists:

Is it difficult for you to live up to your own subjective moral or ethical values?
Heck no. I find it easy to be a moral person. In fact I would find it very difficult to be an immoral person.

Why is that?

1) I cannot bear the thought of hurting another person.
2) I would not be able to look at myself in the mirror if I was hurting people.
3) Committing many sins would require a lot of courage. I would have to fight through a lot of fear eg, what if I get caught? what if I hurt someone? What if I end up in jail?
4) Some sins are difficult. For instance, raping someone is not something I think I would find easy. Nor is it something I would want to do as I would not be able to live with myself if I did.
5) Some acts are disgusting in my mind. For instance, I would be absolutely repulsed at having gay sex with a man. I would also be repulsed at the idea of torturing someone.
6) I have empathy and compassion. If you have those its very difficult to be an immoral person.

I simply cannot understand why there are people out there who think that without God they would be immoral and terrible people. They must be truly grotesque people deep down. I guess we should be thankful they do believe in God and that their fear of his wrath keeps them in line.
Divine Insight wrote: If so, why? Can you specify any moral or ethical values you hold that you find difficult to live up to?
I really can't think of too many. For instance I hate lying because it means I have to remember what it is I lied about and continue on with that lie. Why would I do that? Easier to just be honest with people even if they don't like what you are going to say.

I guess the only so-called sin that I find easy, that I no longer beat myself up over (which I did as a Christian), is the sin of lust. I can now be lustful without the guilt. However let me make it quite clear that I would be mortified if a woman found out I was lusting after her... unless of course she made it clear she was happy that I was lusting after her.

Divine Insight wrote: If you find it difficult to live up to whatever moral standards you are concerned with, do you feel that this difficulty is caused by the fact that you are living in this world? Perhaps due to imperfections or other immoral actors or obstacles within this world?
I'm not seeing how the imperfections of the world would have any bearing on whether I found moral standards difficult to deal with. Unless of course the world suddenly turned around and determined that something I was doing regularly was immoral. Something I wasn't aware was immoral. Then that might cause me some anguish.
Divine Insight wrote: If this is the case, do you feel that it would be far easier to live up to the moral values you are concerned with if you lived in a world where everyone else was also behaving in the same moral way that you consider to be moral or ethical?
I find it easy to follow moral standards. So if the world says that picking your nose is immoral and illegal, then I don't think I would have too much trouble with obeying that law. At least I would be comfortable knowing that I'm not doing something illegal.

So actually doing what's right actually makes me more comfortable than doing what's wrong. I can relax, knowing that I am on the right side of the law. That I am a moral person.

So much easier to be moral.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World