Sudan Ph.D. Student makes Excellent Point.

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Divine Insight
Savant

Sudan Ph.D. Student makes Excellent Point.

Post #1

Post by Divine Insight »

This young student was held and even handcuffed at the airport because of Trump's ban against Muslims coming in from these Muslim countries.

She made a really good point. This is as ridiculous as it would be for Trump to sign an executive order to have White Males banned from the streets of America just because Dylann Roof is a white supremacist who shot up a black church.

[youtube][/youtube]
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

bluethread
Savant

Post #11

Post by bluethread »

Divine Insight wrote:
bluethread wrote: She was detained because she was a noncitizen from a country on Obama's terrorist watch list.
And Obama knew better than to just ban all citizens from those countries from entering into the USA. Why isn't Trump as intelligent as Obama? :-k

If you're going to point to the wisdom of Obama then do so. In the meantime there's no excuse for Trump to be over-reacting in extreme cowardly fear of terrorists. Especially when they are hardly a threat to the USA at all.

And yes, gun control in the USA should be looked into seriously. As should automotive safety as these both clearly kill more American citizens than terrorism. In fact, we ought to talk about death due to alcohol too.

The CDC says that some 80,000 deaths each year are attributable to excessive alcohol use. So you’re 4,706 times more likely to drink yourself to death than die from terrorism. Link here

So our local bars are far more dangerous than people coming in from countries that contain some terrorist elements.

When we give into the fear, the terrorists win. The very goal of terrorism is to terrify their targets. Clearly they have Trump totally terrified.

Obama wasn't so gullible.
Well, the two explicit constitutional duties of the federal government are to secure the borders and arbitrate disputes between the states. That latter is the original intent of the ICC and general welfare clauses. Those clauses were not meant to permit the federal government to micro manage the daily lives of the citizenry, which would make the tenth amendment meaningless. The specific welfare of the citizenry is the purview of state and local government.

Winepusher:

A generalized travel ban barring citizens from specific countries from entry into the United States was a reckless thing to do, and the consequences are being highlighted as we speak. We have American allies of Iraqi descent being prohibited from entry, as well as proper green card holders and others with work permits. Yes, Trump and his team are trying to fix these "glitches" in his executive order, but all of this should have been thought out in advance and only reinforces the stereotype that Trump is an impulsive, trigger happy lunatic.
It is my understanding that Trump did not impose a ban, but a policy of temporary detention subject to increased vetting. Some may see the implementation of Trump's EO as having been enacted impulsively, but he has been clear that he was not going to let political correctness get in the way of getting things done. That is his management style, come on strong and then hammer out the details. I prefer to see it as a reasonable response to an unreasonable situation. Regarding the "trigger happy lunatic" thing, that is the image that the big government people are going to push no matter what. Just look at how Polosi is characterizing Judge Gorsuch.

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #12

Post by DanieltheDragon »

[Replying to post 11 by bluethread]
t is my understanding that Trump did not impose a ban, but a policy of temporary detention subject to increased vetting. Some may see the implementation of Trump's EO as having been enacted impulsively, but he has been clear that he was not going to let political correctness get in the way of getting things done. That is his management style, come on strong and then hammer out the details. I prefer to see it as a reasonable response to an unreasonable situation. Regarding the "trigger happy lunatic" thing, that is the image that the big government people are going to push no matter what. Just look at how Polosi is characterizing Judge Gorsuch
This isn't political correctness and I think I am in agreement with McCain and Graham on this issue as well as many other republicans. It was hasty short sighted and ill thought.

Let's also be clear that Trumps management style led to many bankruptcies not just of his company but of those who had business dealings with. So maybe it isn't the best corse of action....
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

American Deist
Apprentice

Post #13

Post by American Deist »

[Replying to post 6 by Divine Insight]

Gun control is being able to hit what you aim at.

The problem with guns is not the law abiding citizens that legally own firearms, but rather the criminals that don't give two flips about the law. You can have all the gun laws you want, they will only affect those that abide by the law.

I am all for prohibition. I don't drink, so there's nothing to lose. No more DUIs is a good thing.

I am all for making smoking illegal as well. I don't smoke and can't stand the stench of those that do. Not to mention they litter up the world.

Might as well take away fast food restaurants too. Unhealthy, fat people are driving up insurance costs.

I am definitely for greater safety measures for traffic:
1. Put governors on every vehicle so that their max speed = 75 mph (for freeway passing).
2. Have satellites monitor geolocations and limit any speed to just 5 mph over the posted limit. Every car will be linked to the sat-speed system.
3. Teens get their permits at 16 and full licenses at 18.
4. Anyone over 60 has to have a remedial driving course every year, and failure = license revocation.
5. No wrecks in a year = 50% refund of insurance premiums.

All for the greater good!

I am sure I struck a nerve or two.
I am only responsible for what I say, not what you fail to understand!
P.D. Chaplain w/ Th.D., D.Div. h.c.

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #14

Post by DanieltheDragon »

[Replying to post 13 by American Deist]

As a police chaplain you are probably aware of the statistics of gun related deaths to those who purchased legally. Not everyone knows how to obtain guns illegally. Even if we only reduced gun related deaths by 2 percent a year that number would far outstrip terrorist related deaths.

What I think would be a good compromise is to increase access to those that have completed a certification process through a local PD and clamp down access for those that don't. Less crazy people with guns is something we all should be able to agree on.

As for better traffic safety we should be heavily investing in self driving cars and public transport. Although I do like suggestions 3,4,5 but think suggestion 2 is to much a breach of privacy the government doesn't need to know where we are 24/7. Suggestion 1 doesn't work for highways with a posted limit of 80. Also if we had self driving cars we could easily have highways with 100+ speed limits.
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.