Are claimed miracles fact or fiction?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

polonius
Prodigy

Are claimed miracles fact or fiction?

Post #1

Post by polonius »

Elijah John in his post responding to the topic Problems with the "co-equality" of the Trinity?

Wrote:
The doctrines the Roman Catholic Church introduced regarding Mary include:

-her "perpetual virginity",
-her "immaculate conception" (she, was born without "original sin).
-her status as "Mother of God",
-her bodily assumption into Heaven. (she never tasted death), and
-her apparitions. (Fatima appearance etc.)
This topic was really dealing with the coequality of the TRINITY. Unfortunately, I responded with a criticism regarding the claimed dogma of the Assumption. While my response was valid I realized that we had basically gotten off topic.

So let me ask this question in a separate thread and see if there is any interest.

Question: Are claimed “miracles� fact or fiction?

Any opening opinions?

onewithhim
Savant

Post #31

Post by onewithhim »

rikuoamero wrote:
onewithhim wrote:
TheBeardedDude wrote: They are factual representations of what people believe to be true. But that doesn't make them true in the sense that they actually happened or that they were supernatural events. I suspect many "miracles" are natural events that people mistake for divine miracles in retrospect due to confirmation bias.
Good answer.

And if there are any truly unexplained events happening, like a statue that cries or bleeds blood, it is the artful contrivance of Satan and his demons (unless some shady cleric somewhere is making the liquids drip from the concrete or marble). Either way, it's not from God.
Please explain how this ISNT God of the gaps (or should I say Satan of the gaps?) You just said you have an unexplained event. When you plug Satan in as an explanation how is it not Satan of the gaps?
Poor soul. I am sorely being apprised of the possibility that you are setting forth confused ideas from a tired, depleted sense of reality. You are not speaking in a clear manner, with reasonable thoughts. I can't understand what you are saying.

There is God (Jehovah), and then there is the god of this world, Satan (2 Corinth.4:4). If something is occurring that God would not do, then there's a real good chance that Satan is involved.

:sadblinky: :confused2:

Tetragrammaton
Apprentice

Post #32

Post by Tetragrammaton »

[Replying to post 29 by onewithhim]
@onewithhim
RESPONSE: Really? Can God do evil then?
No. Only what SOME PEOPLE might consider evil, such as something done to inconvenience their own evil behavior.
Do you consider evil the drowning of innocent babies?

Do the phrase "SOME PEOPLE" mean decent people to you?

IF you understand the basics of morality you cannot not arrive to the conclusion that god in the bible does and orders evil deeds, that are considered evil for decent people who know better.

How about this one:
Psalm 137:9
"Blessed shall he be who takes your little ones and dashes them against the rock!"
If something is occurring that God would not do, then there's a real good chance that Satan is involved.
How do you know that god would not do an evil deed?
Wasn't torturing and killing his own son instead of just forgiving, an evil deed?
(even if you think he did it for a just cause, which we disagree)

If Satan could not be stopped by god from start, then how do you know that the god you worship and obey is not Satan in disguise?

Maybe he defeated god and is now deceiving you and only pretending to be god to make you do evil things.
That would explain why he needs flawed humans to spread his word instead of just speaking to you directly.