Flat earthers?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Flat earthers?

Post #1

Post by DanieltheDragon »

Flat earth belief is still around to this day. They even have elaborate apologetics dedicated to it not unlike creationists. Yet even among Christian groups they are frequently dismissed. Yet I find this strange. This dismissal among Christians of flat earth belief.

The way I see all Christian belief whether flat earth, young earth, old earth, or what have you are equally unbelievable. To me each group latches on to a particular mindset that speaks to them and ignores evidence to the contrary.

Why is Flat earth theory treated with such disrepect compared to other Christian beliefs?
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

Trump
Banned
Banned

Post #291

Post by Trump »

Willum wrote: [Replying to post 288 by Trump]

Yup, if the Earth were flat, you wouldn't need all those years of invention to navigate a globe.
Nice tap-dancing, but you can't avoid the fact Mercator Maps are necessary to navigate a globe, and Mercator Maps are used.
I don't know how tap dancing comes into play here, I was just pointing out the obvious.
Yes true, Mercator's Map is necessary to navigate a Flat Earth using Globe Earth charting. But as I said, give me a large piece of paper, and my charting equipment I mentioned, and in a year I will chart out North America within inches as it really is, and no Einstein style mathematics will be necessary.
Willum wrote:
Trump wrote:But here is a Trump-of-an-idea, why not plot the whole world on a flat map?
Yes, it is a brilliant idea, that Mercator made reality. This is exactly what we are talking about.
Sorry, I meant to say; to plot the flat earth on a flat map, just as we see and measure it, jot it down without the senseless curvature. We FE's been talking to a lot of engineers, road and railroad builders using "levels", and no one has ever figured in the supposed curvature of an imaginary ball earth.
Willum wrote:The maps work exceptionally, and have been saving ships and sailors lives for hundreds of years.

If the Earth were flat, they wouldn't work.

Welcome to a round Earth.
So what you're telling me is that plotting a flat Earth on a flat map would not work? That me measuring the actual earth and jotting the distances, angles etc. exactly as I measured it, that people using that map would get lost?
Willum wrote:Since even though you other ideas are weird, they do not contradict this, you must conclude the Earth is round, or,
demonstrate Mercator's Maps are not used.
Mercator has done a great job altering the "weird" globe earth map to match the actual flat Earth and still keep the deception, the TRUTH that the Earth is NOT a spinning globe hidden.
Willum wrote:Well, that;s it really. Mercator's Maps are based on a round Earth.
They are used safely and accurately.

QED.
Yes, because he made it fit the actual Flat Earth. Nobody uses some imaginary globe-earth map, this includes the Military. The only thing the Globe in classrooms, on children's TV shows, in movies does is to keep the deception going.

Remember the "Duck and cover"? It's no longer necessary, the movies have taken over the mind control that nuclear bombs exist. No one questions it, just as no one would question the Globe Earth deception if it wasn't for us Flat Earthers pointing out the obvious lies.

Really, making a Globe Earth map to fit the Flat Earth, and by-george , it works! Umm yes! Just as we don't draw cityscapes with the buildings tilting with this Globe Earth, because it would look silly, even weird.

Please Note to fellow Debaters!

If me talking to you about the Flat Earth offends you in any way, please, please do not report me, instead PM me, and I will stop debating it with you!

Thank you.

Willum
Savant

Post #292

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 290 by Trump]

Wow, such a complicated reply to a simple premise.
No, a flat map doesn't work on a round Earth - obviously.

A Mercator Map translates a round Earth to a flat surface, like squishing an orange peel flat.

Mercator's Map work, flat Earth maps for a non-flat Earth causes sailors to perish, lost.
Mercator's Maps have saved sailors lives for five hundred years of use.

It isn't complicated.
Mercator's system allows navigators to navigate a round Earth using flat maps.

It isn't complicated, but it is irrefutable.
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

Willum
Savant

Post #293

Post by Willum »

Still another thing, on my GPS I can track the Sun and the Moon and the satellites that are, well, lets just say they are there.

Now, apparently you say that the Sun and Moon radiate in constrained patterns, in violation of the inverse square law, but the satellites operate, I presume, on Earth as they do in Heaven.

So why do they disappear? What are they hiding behind?

And I don't think you ever answered if the other planets are discs as well, does the Sun's disc only face us, and offer it's profile to other planets?

Is there anything round in the universe?

How do discs work, mechanically? Why don't asteroids tear right through thin discs? If we dig through the Earth, what will we find?

Man, I can't believe I am forced to ask such idiotic questions.

The inverse square law is true, mathematically provable. A disc would be unstable. The Sun could not generate light if it were a disc. And so on.

I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

Kenisaw
Guru

Post #294

Post by Kenisaw »

Trump wrote: I don't know how tap dancing comes into play here, I was just pointing out the obvious.
Yes true, Mercator's Map is necessary to navigate a Flat Earth using Globe Earth charting. But as I said, give me a large piece of paper, and my charting equipment I mentioned, and in a year I will chart out North America within inches as it really is, and no Einstein style mathematics will be necessary.
Please do it. There's no better way to see the error or your ways then when you open you own eyes. I look forward to talking to you in a year...
Sorry, I meant to say; to plot the flat earth on a flat map, just as we see and measure it, jot it down without the senseless curvature. We FE's been talking to a lot of engineers, road and railroad builders using "levels", and no one has ever figured in the supposed curvature of an imaginary ball earth.
No you haven't. As a civil engineer who builds roads for a living, I can tell you that there is no flat earth movement in the field. I know there are a couple of youtube videos out there by supposed flat earth engineers, but that's about the extent of it.

Tell you what, why don't you name some of these famous and respected engineers, preferably without youtube links...
So what you're telling me is that plotting a flat Earth on a flat map would not work? That me measuring the actual earth and jotting the distances, angles etc. exactly as I measured it, that people using that map would get lost?
That's exactly what would happen, especially if they were traveling from, say, LA to Montreal...

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #295

Post by rikuoamero »

I haven't read every post on this thread...has anyone asked our resident flat-earther for any photos or videos of an actual edge of the Earth?

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

Willum
Savant

Post #296

Post by Willum »

rikuoamero wrote: I haven't read every post on this thread...has anyone asked our resident flat-earther for any photos or videos of an actual edge of the Earth?
Seconded - I'd like some real photos, instead of fake NASA ones.

Tell you what, buy a weather balloon (they are cheap), fix a camera to it, let it go up to 60,000 feet and take some picts for us, it'll be cheaper than plotting out N. America.

Kenisaw
Guru

Post #297

Post by Kenisaw »

rikuoamero wrote: I haven't read every post on this thread...has anyone asked our resident flat-earther for any photos or videos of an actual edge of the Earth?
I'm sure it is a NASA coverup to hide all that too. Don't forget, we sphereists are willing to spend enormous amounts of money and employ tens of thousands of people in an effort to hide the real shape of the Earth from people whose daily lives would not be affected at all, one way or the other, no matter which option is true...

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #298

Post by rikuoamero »

Willum wrote:
Seconded - I'd like some real photos, instead of fake NASA ones.

Tell you what, buy a weather balloon (they are cheap), fix a camera to it, let it go up to 60,000 feet and take some picts for us, it'll be cheaper than plotting out N. America.
Those cameras have software written by the conspiracy that seeks to hide evidence of the flat earth...is what I expect to hear.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

Willum
Savant

Post #299

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 297 by rikuoamero]

My mistake - think one could get a Polaroid on eBay or something?

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #300

Post by DanieltheDragon »

Willum wrote: [Replying to post 297 by rikuoamero]

My mistake - think one could get a Polaroid on eBay or something?
Cameras were invented by a the Free Masons to brain was people and steal souls. So even old ones won't work.
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.