Jesus could not have been fully human?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

postroad
Prodigy

Jesus could not have been fully human?

Post #1

Post by postroad »

Paul makes this claim that Jesus preexisted time. There are claims that he did not have a human father. How could he be fully human as some Christians claim.
2 Timothy 1:9
He has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time,

Luke 3:23New International Version (NIV)

23 Now Jesus himself was about thirty years old when he began his ministry. He was the son, so it was thought, of Joseph,

the son of Heli,

John 17:5
And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began.

Hebrews 1:2-4New International Version (NIV)

2 but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made the universe. 3 The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven. 4 So he became as much superior to the angels as the name he has inherited is superior to theirs.

John 1:1
[ The Word Became Flesh ] In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
If Jesus is the exact representation of God's being and the cause and sustainer of creation,how can he not be divine?

Elijah John
Savant

Post #2

Post by Elijah John »

The earliest Gospel, Mark, seems to have no knowledge of these claims of an eternal pre-existence. Perhaps then Mark is the most accurate of the Gospels,, and John and Paul added their own theological accretions and Jesus was, in fact, fully human as Mark suggests.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

dio9
Under Probation

Re: Jesus could not have been fully human?

Post #3

Post by dio9 »

[Replying to post 1 by postroad]

Clearly here preexistence and not having a human father are theologizations.

postroad
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by postroad »

[Replying to post 3 by dio9]
Oh boy! How do you get over the cognitive dissonance involved in accepting parts of scripture and denying the parts you are not inclined to accept?

postroad
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by postroad »

[Replying to post 2 by Elijah John]
Not wanting to be rude, but what is keeping you from abandoning the story altogether?

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by Checkpoint »

postroad wrote: [Replying to post 3 by dio9]
Oh boy! How do you get over the cognitive dissonance involved in accepting parts of scripture and denying the parts you are not inclined to accept?
How indeed!

This question could also be asked of another frequent poster on this subforum.

postroad
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by postroad »

[Replying to Checkpoint]
What's your point. As an unbeliever I can get on and off the progressive revealation train at any stop along the way. I just always thought believers had to ride it till the final stop.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by Checkpoint »

postroad wrote: [Replying to Checkpoint]
What's your point. As an unbeliever I can get on and off the progressive revealation train at any stop along the way. I just always thought believers had to ride it till the final stop.
My point is your point.

As a believer, I have thereby chosen to recognise the whole of scripture, and all its writers.

It is open to interpretation, and they are open to interpretation, but not to rejection, or to claims of being false or having an agenda not of God.

postroad
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by postroad »

[Replying to post 8 by Checkpoint] In your opinion does such selective belief invariably result in complete abandonment of the faith.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by Checkpoint »

postroad wrote: [Replying to post 8 by Checkpoint] In your opinion does such selective belief invariably result in complete abandonment of the faith.
Sometimes, but there are always exceptions.

Have no idea what the ratio would be.

The two posters we have addressed or referred to on this thread have not lost some form of faith.