Truly Frightening News

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

Divine Insight
Savant

Truly Frightening News

Post #1

Post by Divine Insight »

The following news should come as no surprise. But it's still frightening.

We are all aware of how advanced social technologies are becoming everyday consumer products. If you're watched many YouTube videos you've no doubt seen many that have been obviously manipulated in ways intended as comedy, or perhaps even intended to deceive but may have not been very convincing. The problem is that this is all changing very rapidly. And is in fact, already available to those who have the money to purchase it. But it's also within the reach of the average person. And this is true all over the world, not just in America.

The bottom line is that we are no longer going to be able to recognize "fake news". Even if you are quite savvy and believe that it is easy to recognize fake news, this is about to change dramatically just in the next few years. The technology already exists, it's just a matter of it now being implemented in more convincing ways.

In fact, much of the news that you already trust may actually be fake news and you may not even be aware of it.

This is truly frightening I think, because we are about to enter into a period of time when reality is going to seem surreal. Where we will no longer be able to even trust the information we are being given, even if we think we are seeing an individual we trust speaking. It could actually be their image being manipulated to report false information.

Our technologies are about to backfire on us in a major way.

[youtube][/youtube]

We're going to be living in a world where we won't even be able to trust the news we hear. I mean, that's always been true, but at least we could trust certain people and newscasters, etc. But now we can't even trust that the person we see reporting the news is actually the person they appear to be. The whole broadcast could be fake.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

William
Savant

Post #2

Post by William »

Why does this frighten you?

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #3

Post by Divine Insight »

William wrote: Why does this frighten you?
Because I care about the future of humanity, and the needless suffering of countless individual humans.

Did you watch the video? This kind of fake news can potentially cause nations to go to war. The masses aren't the only people who are going to have difficulty knowing whether what they are seeing is real or not.

And of course, getting into needless wars is only one potential threat to humanity. Fake news can also be a tool that can be used by a governmental administration to twist what used to be a free democracy into a fascist dictatorship.

Fake news can allow industries to pollute to their heart's content whilst pretending that everything is just fine.

Not being able to know the truth of what's actually going on around you should be frightening to anyone who stops and thinks about the implications of this for even a brief moment. Assuming they care about people at all.
[center]Image
[/center]

William
Savant

Post #4

Post by William »

Divine Insight wrote:
William wrote: Why does this frighten you?
Because I care about the future of humanity, and the needless suffering of countless individual humans.

Where would you like to see humanity going in the future?
Do you think politics has anything to do with "he needless suffering of countless individual humans"
Did you watch the video?
No. But I did read your OP.
This kind of fake news can potentially cause nations to go to war. The masses aren't the only people who are going to have difficulty knowing whether what they are seeing is real or not.
Is 'fake news' hard to discern from 'real news'?
And of course, getting into needless wars is only one potential threat to humanity. Fake news can also be a tool that can be used by a governmental administration to twist what used to be a free democracy into a fascist dictatorship.
Do you believe in democracy and its implications re; 'majority rules'? Isn't it just a reflection of human society and the need for one side to be right and the other wrong? Perhaps the 'fake' is found therein?
Fake news can allow industries to pollute to their heart's content whilst pretending that everything is just fine.

Isaiah 5
Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; Who substitute darkness for light and light for darkness; Who substitute bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter!
Not being able to know the truth of what's actually going on around you should be frightening to anyone who stops and thinks about the implications of this for even a brief moment. Assuming they care about people at all.
One can care for others and also accept that others are not interested in getting on the same page with ones own outlook.

I think personally that human beings will prevail, but that the political agendas of those who endorse and support systems of disparity are going to continue to have a negative impact on the majority of the human population.

It is good to see the problem for what it is, but tell me, what is your solution?

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #5

Post by Divine Insight »

William wrote: Where would you like to see humanity going in the future?
I would like to see humanity survive until all humans evolve to become truly intelligent loving people. And I don't think that's an unrealistic thing to hope for. But at the same time we know that humans are capable of destroying themselves before they get to that level of sentience.
William wrote: Do you think politics has anything to do with "he needless suffering of countless individual humans"
I don't think there's any question about that. Just look at history. In fact, look at current events. :D
William wrote:
Did you watch the video?
Ok, that explains it. It's a short video I would recommend watching it.
William wrote:
This kind of fake news can potentially cause nations to go to war. The masses aren't the only people who are going to have difficulty knowing whether what they are seeing is real or not.
You clearly didn't watch the video. There may come a time in the very near future where it will be IMPOSSIBLE to determine the difference. And that is what I am suggesting is "frightening".
William wrote:
Do you believe in democracy and its implications re; 'majority rules'? Isn't it just a reflection of human society and the need for one side to be right and the other wrong? Perhaps the 'fake' is found therein?
Democracy as founded in the USA is not about "majority rules". In fact, it actually has many safeguards in place to assure that doesn't happen. The constitution being the most profound.
William wrote:
Isaiah 5
Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; Who substitute darkness for light and light for darkness; Who substitute bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter!
So why quote the Bible here? Are you suggesting that the Biblical God will eventually deal with the creators of fake news?

I hope your right. But there may not be an actual God who will actually do that. The text you've quoted may be nothing more than ancient hopes and dreams of previous humans.
William wrote:
One can care for others and also accept that others are not interested in getting on the same page with ones own outlook.
Why are you talking about people getting on the same page with someone's own outlook? This thread is about genuine faked news (i.e. clear falsehoods).
William wrote: I think personally that human beings will prevail, but that the political agendas of those who endorse and support systems of disparity are going to continue to have a negative impact on the majority of the human population.
I hope your right. And perhaps I did use the wrong title for the thread, instead of using the title; Truly Frightening News perhaps I should have named it, "Advances in Technologies that are Cause for Concern".
William wrote: It is good to see the problem for what it is, but tell me, what is your solution?
I'm not sure there is a solution possible. In fact, that's why I said it was "frightening".

It's like watching a train wreck that is about to happen and not being able to stop it.

Bringing things into public awareness is at least a start toward possible solutions.

Being aware is better then being caught off guard altogether. :D
[center]Image
[/center]

William
Savant

Post #6

Post by William »

Divine Insight wrote:
I would like to see humanity survive until all humans evolve to become truly intelligent loving people.

What makes you believe that this could happen in your lifetime?

And I don't think that's an unrealistic thing to hope for.

Say why then.
But at the same time we know that humans are capable of destroying themselves before they get to that level of sentience.
So what is your answer to this problem?
William wrote: Do you think politics has anything to do with "he needless suffering of countless individual humans"
I don't think there's any question about that. Just look at history. In fact, look at current events. :D
Do you think that political agenda found its way into religion?
William wrote:
Did you watch the video?
Ok, that explains it. It's a short video I would recommend watching it.
How would I know if it is real or not?

Just so's you know, I don't take any news as gospel - not even the good news.

:)

You clearly didn't watch the video. There may come a time in the very near future where it will be IMPOSSIBLE to determine the difference. And that is what I am suggesting is "frightening".
Did you see that I said 'real news' and 'fake news'? How am I to know that I haven't always been watching fake news? Specifically when it comes to political news...

How do you know that 'free democracy' has ever really been free? Did the news tell you this in your youth?
Democracy as founded in the USA is not about "majority rules". In fact, it actually has many safeguards in place to assure that doesn't happen. The constitution being the most profound.
Seems to me that might be fake news.
But anyways, I was meaning 'the majority' in relation to those who support and live and die for systems of disparity.
Isaiah 5
So why quote the Bible here?
Isn't that obvious? Perhaps not...well what you said about fake news, industries polluting, etc et al - reminded me of that verse.
Are you suggesting that the Biblical God will eventually deal with the creators of fake news? I hope your right. But there may not be an actual God who will actually do that. The text you've quoted may be nothing more than ancient hopes and dreams of previous humans.
Is that what you think the verse says? I think it says that such will naturally be its own demise. One cannot lie in the face of nature and expect it to end well. Isn't that what you are basically frightened about?
Only, well - fake news has been around ever since the dawn of human created systems of disparity. It is nothing new. It has been around all your life, even if it is only now that you are seeing this.

Why are you talking about people getting on the same page with someone's own outlook? This thread is about genuine faked news (i.e. clear falsehoods).

It has everything to do with it. Fake news is really just that which is not on the same page with other fake news and it is all political for that. Politics is about NOT getting on the same page.

I think personally that human beings will prevail, but that the political agendas of those who endorse and support systems of disparity are going to continue to have a negative impact on the majority of the human population.
I hope your right.

Really? You hope I am right that only a few human beings will prevail while the rest are collateral damage?
And perhaps I did use the wrong title for the thread, instead of using the title; Truly Frightening News perhaps I should have named it, "Advances in Technologies that are Cause for Concern".
Scientists. They are those responsible for such advances. Not alone of course, but political agenda couldn't have got so far without scientists.

It is good to see the problem for what it is, but tell me, what is your solution?
I'm not sure there is a solution possible. In fact, that's why I said it was "frightening".
Why be frightened about something you have no idea how to change and no power to avert?
It's like watching a train wreck that is about to happen and not being able to stop it.
Because you are also on the train about to be wrecked? Is this something you are only now beginning to realize?
Bringing things into public awareness is at least a start toward possible solutions.
Has it assisted you, being more aware of the problem? Are any solutions coming through now that you are aware? Is fear the best way to approach solution?
Why? What difference does being aware really make to the situation? Obviously it brings fear, but what is the point in being afraid of the reality of the situation?

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #7

Post by Divine Insight »

I would like to see humanity survive until all humans evolve to become truly intelligent loving people.

I don't believe it would happen in my lifetime. What made you think that?

William wrote:

Say why then.
Well, we were making progress before this recent political disaster in the USA. The past 8 years has been very encouraging. Unfortunately it appears that humanity is in very grave danger at the moment, not just the USA. Unfortunately humans may have proven themselves to not have become very intelligent quickly enough.

We currently have an administration that is not only about to destroy human decency, civil rights, and peace among nations, but our current president is even in denial of climate change. So we could easily be looking at the end of humanity even before I die.

Not that this would be a major disaster. But it would be somewhat sad don't you think?

Do you care about humans in general?
William wrote:
But at the same time we know that humans are capable of destroying themselves before they get to that level of sentience.
Well, the first step toward a solution for that specific problem would be to impeach the current administration of the USA and replace it with an intelligent administration. That may or may not happen. We'll have to wait and see.

By the way, that alone would not insure the success of humanity, but it would at least be a major step in the right direction.
I think the current administration of the USA is going to encourage and support religious bigotry, ignorance, and superstitious thinking. President Trump has already promised to support this agenda.
William wrote: How would I know if it is real or not?

Well, you always have to trust the source. The problem now will be that you may not be able to tell who the source is. Just because you see a familiar face telling you something doesn't mean that it's actually coming from that person.

Think of it this way. You might trust your friends and loved ones, but what if you couldn't trust them to be who they appear to be? You could easily be deceived into going along with things that you would have never otherwise agreed to go along with.

It seems to me that if you aren't understanding why this would be a problem then you can't be genuinely understanding the scope of the problem.
William wrote: Did you see that I said 'real news' and 'fake news'? How am I to know that I haven't always been watching fake news? Specifically when it comes to political news...
You can never be 100% sure. But there are people you have learned you can trust because they have been reputable sources of news in the past. Therefore if you see those same people telling you something today you're going to have a tendency to believe them. But it may not actually be them. The whole video may have been faked, that's what we're talking about in the OP.
William wrote: How do you know that 'free democracy' has ever really been free? Did the news tell you this in your youth?
It's been my experience in life for over six decades. But I see the current administration attempting to put an end to it. And this is happening just as "fake news" is about to become a serious problem. I think that is cause for concern.

Don't you?
William wrote: Is that what you think the verse says? I think it says that such will naturally be its own demise. One cannot lie in the face of nature and expect it to end well. Isn't that what you are basically frightened about?
No. We've been dealing with that sort of thing for centuries. That's always going to be happening. That's a problem, but it's not the problem addressed in the OP.
William wrote: Only, well - fake news has been around ever since the dawn of human created systems of disparity. It is nothing new. It has been around all your life, even if it is only now that you are seeing this.
Clearly you haven't understood the problem addressed in the OP. Fake news is not the problem. Fake news that will have been manipulated to appear to be coming from a trustworthy source where you won't be able to tell the difference is what's NEW.

It's easy to tell the blowhards from the decent people. But if media is manipulated to where the decent people appear to be telling you things when it's not really them who is delivering the message, that's never existed before. At least not on a large scale. So that is indeed something that you have never seen before.
William wrote:

It has everything to do with it. Fake news is really just that which is not on the same page with other fake news and it is all political for that. Politics is about NOT getting on the same page.
You're starting to sound like the Trump administration now. :roll:

Sorry, but there is truth, and there are lies.

What I'm talking about in this thread is not being able to tell which is which. I've never had that problem before. At least not on a large scale.

The problem being addressed in this thread is that people who you have previously been able to depend upon to tell you the truth may not be made into videos where they are telling you lies and you won't be able to tell that's it's not really them talking.

If you can't see why that could be extremely dangerous I can only suggest that you aren't truly following the problem here. In fact, if you think this is nothing "NEW" then you clearly aren't understanding the problem.
William wrote:
I hope your right.

Really? You hope I am right that only a few human beings will prevail while the rest are collateral damage?
No. I hope your right about human beings prevailing. I definitely hope you are wrong in your depressing negative views. :D
William wrote:
And perhaps I did use the wrong title for the thread, instead of using the title; Truly Frightening News perhaps I should have named it, "Advances in Technologies that are Cause for Concern".
Scientists. They are those responsible for such advances. Not alone of course, but political agenda couldn't have got so far without scientists.
Nope that's wrong. In fact this is a very common misconception. Scientists are not to blame for technology. Technologists are to blame for technology. And technologists work for companies who's guiding principles are to make money, not advance humanity.

Of course, there are both good and bad technologists. But they should not be confused with scientists. That's a very bad mistake. Scientists are concerned with the discovery of how nature works. How that information is put to use is in the hands of technologists. Sometimes scientists are employed by the government for political agendas. The Manhattan project being the most popular example of that. But many scientists were emotionally torn over their involvement in that. That's a tough call to make.

I once worked in R&D on "smart bombs". I actually saw them used in the Iraq war. I confess that my job bothered me. Was I doing the right thing working on "smart bombs"? I wasn't building the actual bombs. I was just designing the guidance systems for the bombs. The question is, was I contributing to killing people via bombs? Or was I saving innocent lives of those who might have otherwise been killed by bombs that weren't precision guided?

It's an interesting question. I chose to believe that I was helping to reduce civilian casualties. :D

But truth be known I would have rather been working on something far more constructive. Although in defense of my job, my designs were also used to guide commercial aircraft, and for space exportation. So the "smart bombs" were only a part of what I actually worked on. And one could also hope that they would never actually be used. After all, designing a guidance system for a bomb, and actually launching the bomb are two different things. :D

But yeah, in this life sometimes we end up doing things we're rather not have to do.
William wrote: Why be frightened about something you have no idea how to change and no power to avert?
I'm not frightened in any personal sense like you seem to think. I'm concerned for the future of humanity. I'm not a person who is easily frightened.

I should have used the term "concerned" in the Title of the thread. I didn't mean to incite fear into anyone.
William wrote:
Because you are also on the train about to be wrecked? Is this something you are only now beginning to realize?
No, because on a personal note it doesn't bother me that I'm on the train. My concern is for everyone else.

In fact, using the train as an analogy for life, the train would be headed for a head-on collision, and I would be riding in the caboose. The least likely place to be affected by the accident.

So it's like I'm yelling from the caboose to the people in the front of the train that they better either jump off, or do whatever they can to slow the train down as quickly as they can.

I most likely won't be hurt either way back here in the caboose.

This isn't about me. :D
William wrote: Has it assisted you, being more aware of the problem? Are any solutions coming through now that you are aware? Is fear the best way to approach solution?
I never suggested that fear is a solution to anything. However being aware of a problem is already a step toward solution. If you are on the train, or near the tracks I would suggesting doing whatever you can to either try to stop the accident from happening, or get yourself out of the way of the flying debris.

Like I say, I'm in the caboose. Plus I'm aware of the upcoming accident, so I'm prepared to jump off the caboose if need be.
William wrote:
Why? What difference does being aware really make to the situation? Obviously it brings fear, but what is the point in being afraid of the reality of the situation?
It was never my intend to scare anyone with this thread.

I'm just giving a heads-up to anyone who might be interested (as the news broadcast did in the OP). In situations like this there will be those who know what to do, and those who don't. If you are among the latter there isn't much I can do for you.

If you are in a situation where you can do something, then by all means do it. Even if it just means getting off the train to save yourself. ;)
[center]Image
[/center]

William
Savant

Where are we getting our news from?

Post #8

Post by William »

Divine Insight wrote:

I don't believe it would happen in my lifetime. What made you think that?
You mentioned that you'd like to see it. Unless you believe in an afterlife situation where you will be able to observe...I don't know how you think you would see anything.

Say why then.
Well, we were making progress before this recent political disaster in the USA. The past 8 years has been very encouraging. Unfortunately it appears that humanity is in very grave danger at the moment, not just the USA. Unfortunately humans may have proven themselves to not have become very intelligent quickly enough.
Ah I see. The loss of the rose colored glasses...
We currently have an administration that is not only about to destroy human decency, civil rights, and peace among nations, but our current president is even in denial of climate change. So we could easily be looking at the end of humanity even before I die.
Gosh - this reminds me of biblical prophetic utterances about the end of the world.
Not that this would be a major disaster. But it would be somewhat sad don't you think?
Well if it is not a major disaster, I don't suppose it is something to be sad about.
Do you care about humans in general?
I care about their potential. I care about the political agenda which has them believing they were ever free or could ever be free under the systems of disparity.

But caring about something doesn't mean that what is being cared about, cares about itself.

Well, the first step toward a solution for that specific problem would be to impeach the current administration of the USA and replace it with an intelligent administration. That may or may not happen. We'll have to wait and see.

By the way, that alone would not insure the success of humanity, but it would at least be a major step in the right direction.
Replace the administrators of a system of disparity with another bunch of administrators? Hardly a solution. At least the current one is being a honest representation of the political administration of systems of disparity but I think it is really just a reflection of reality which was not noticed until it was too late.
What will be will be.
I think the current administration of the USA is going to encourage and support religious bigotry, ignorance, and superstitious thinking. President Trump has already promised to support this agenda.
I see. You are under the impression that 'religious' bigotry is not politically motivated. All bigotry is politically motivated. That is what is evident throughout history.

How would I know if it is real or not?

Well, you always have to trust the source. The problem now will be that you may not be able to tell who the source is. Just because you see a familiar face telling you something doesn't mean that it's actually coming from that person.

Think of it this way. You might trust your friends and loved ones, but what if you couldn't trust them to be who they appear to be? You could easily be deceived into going along with things that you would have never otherwise agreed to go along with.

It seems to me that if you aren't understanding why this would be a problem then you can't be genuinely understanding the scope of the problem.
I understand the problem to being a symptom of a much broader problem which is not normally seen as a problem.
As such, it is something which will have to run its course.
I do not trust systems of disparity, no matter how pretty the administrators dres things up.
Did you see that I said 'real news' and 'fake news'? How am I to know that I haven't always been watching fake news? Specifically when it comes to political news...
You can never be 100% sure. But there are people you have learned you can trust because they have been reputable sources of news in the past. Therefore if you see those same people telling you something today you're going to have a tendency to believe them. But it may not actually be them. The whole video may have been faked, that's what we're talking about in the OP.
The whole mechanism inclusive of media has always been fake in relation to all systems of disparity.
I see the present state of events as being a time when pretense is no longer necessary - where the masks and costumes come off and things are seen as they truly have always been.
I think that this is what most of the protests are about. People have gotten so used to the illusions that they are now in a state of panic about the reality.
How do you know that 'free democracy' has ever really been free? Did the news tell you this in your youth?
It's been my experience in life for over six decades. But I see the current administration attempting to put an end to it. And this is happening just as "fake news" is about to become a serious problem. I think that is cause for concern.

Don't you?
Well I understand your position here. You have done well from it all - your support for it has had its rewards.
I have not - and that was through choosing not to. Am I now concerned? I have always had concern and seen the problem at a deeper level than just scratching the surface.
Am I concerned now? No. I discovered at some point in my life that being concerned about it never did any good or changed anything. It is the agenda of powerful people who have their own plans regarding this prison planet. People who think they are free - and like yourself, who feel they have experienced freedom, are not seeing the woods for the trees and most have sold out for the sake of their personal 'freedom' - for the sake of not only surviving, but having lifestyles which requires heavy investment and returns in the systems of disparity which reward them for their services.
No doubt it has been an awesome ride - but something like that cannot last forever in this finite world.
Is that what you think the verse says? I think it says that such will naturally be its own demise. One cannot lie in the face of nature and expect it to end well. Isn't that what you are basically frightened about?
No. We've been dealing with that sort of thing for centuries. That's always going to be happening. That's a problem, but it's not the problem addressed in the OP.
Anything happening on this planet affects/effects everything else. There is no use pretending that these things are not related.
Only, well - fake news has been around ever since the dawn of human created systems of disparity. It is nothing new. It has been around all your life, even if it is only now that you are seeing this.
Clearly you haven't understood the problem addressed in the OP. Fake news is not the problem. Fake news that will have been manipulated to appear to be coming from a trustworthy source where you won't be able to tell the difference is what's NEW.

Oh I understand the problem. 'Trustworthy' is in the eye of the beholder. Most people who are directly suffering because of the systems of disparity don't really trust anything as 'real'. They have learned well enough that fake is pretty much all one can expect from such sources.
I get what you are saying though - you have done okay by such a system and this has given you reason to trust because you have learned the value of trust through the rewards you have received through trusting. And now, well things are no longer that way...
It's easy to tell the blowhards from the decent people. But if media is manipulated to where the decent people appear to be telling you things when it's not really them who is delivering the message, that's never existed before. At least not on a large scale. So that is indeed something that you have never seen before.
Well then it gets down to discernment. I do that with the Bible too. I regard that as something which has been tampered with by unwholesome people with political agenda who wished to keep systems of disparity at the helm of the course of human history.

The simple solution in relation to discernment is to identify whether what is being told to you is supporting the systems of disparity or a system of parity. It becomes quite simple then to discern.

You're starting to sound like the Trump administration now. :roll:
I don't support any system of disparity or whoever is in the seat of power administering those systems. I simply deal with the fact that I am living in one.
Sorry, but there is truth, and there are lies.
And what I am saying is truth. Politics is about NOT getting on the same page - period.
What I'm talking about in this thread is not being able to tell which is which. I've never had that problem before. At least not on a large scale.

The problem being addressed in this thread is that people who you have previously been able to depend upon to tell you the truth may not be made into videos where they are telling you lies and you won't be able to tell that's it's not really them talking.

And you believe that up to this point they have been telling you the truth. I gave up looking for the truth in other people, years ago.
If you can't see why that could be extremely dangerous I can only suggest that you aren't truly following the problem here. In fact, if you think this is nothing "NEW" then you clearly aren't understanding the problem.
The thing is, it really is nothing new - at least, not to me. All that is happening now is that technology is being used in order to achieve this.
Systems of disparity are equally evil - no matter the degree to which they operate. The end result of them is never any good and will always eventually show their true colors. Some have historically preferred to operate more out in the open while others hide behind the pretense of truth and righteousness.
I hope your right.

No. I hope your right about human beings prevailing.
Sure they will. It is nature. Those who are in a position to prepare for the inevitable will be afforded the best chance of surviving from the fallout.
I definitely hope you are wrong in your depressing negative views.
Wishful thinking. You have been living the illusion and those are coming down and you are beginning to see the reality but think that what you are seeing is somehow 'new'.

Nope that's wrong. In fact this is a very common misconception.

No - there is no 'misconception', as much as you would like to think so.
Scientists are not to blame for technology. Technologists are to blame for technology. And technologists work for companies who's guiding principles are to make money, not advance humanity.
Read what I said again;

Lets not lie about scientists involvement in the whole sorry affair. Truth is better served in being truthful.
Of course, there are both good and bad technologists. But they should not be confused with scientists. That's a very bad mistake. Scientists are concerned with the discovery of how nature works. How that information is put to use is in the hands of technologists. Sometimes scientists are employed by the government for political agendas. The Manhattan project being the most popular example of that. But many scientists were emotionally torn over their involvement in that. That's a tough call to make.
Whatever. Your defending of scientists as those who are somehow forced against their conscious wills into doing things which assist the systems of disparity is dishonest.
I once worked in R&D on "smart bombs". I actually saw them used in the Iraq war. I confess that my job bothered me. Was I doing the right thing working on "smart bombs"? I wasn't building the actual bombs. I was just designing the guidance systems for the bombs. The question is, was I contributing to killing people via bombs? Or was I saving innocent lives of those who might have otherwise been killed by bombs that weren't precision guided?
The answer is, you worked for systems of disparity and were rewarded for doing so. It makes no difference whether you were helping make the bombs to kill the people.
It's an interesting question. I chose to believe that I was helping to reduce civilian casualties.
Sure you do. If you didn't do it, then someone else would have, right?
But truth be known I would have rather been working on something far more constructive.
What you would have rather done is besides the point. What you did do is what the truth is.
Although in defense of my job, my designs were also used to guide commercial aircraft, and for space exportation.
Have you ever wondered what amazing things could have been achieved if politicians invested in peace and inventions which promoted a better life for all human beings instead of pouring the greater portion of wealth into investment in space exploration and warfare?
So the "smart bombs" were only a part of what I actually worked on. And one could also hope that they would never actually be used. After all, designing a guidance system for a bomb, and actually launching the bomb are two different things. :D
Sure they are. But obviously it didn't convince you to stop investing your life into these politically motivated inventions when it worked out bombs were being launched anyway. I guess you found a way to push aside the things which 'bothered' you about you job.
But yeah, in this life sometimes we end up doing things we're rather not have to do.
Sure we do. It is so easy to justify those 'things' when the rubber meets the road. When push comes to shove, we can always blame GOD even. :) - or...we can just say - 'life just is and there really is no purpose or reason for it.'

ezpz
Why be frightened about something you have no idea how to change and no power to avert?
I'm not frightened in any personal sense like you seem to think. I'm concerned for the future of humanity. I'm not a person who is easily frightened.

I should have used the term "concerned" in the Title of the thread. I didn't mean to incite fear into anyone.
I don't get the impression that anyone around here is afraid. I would say most simply expect it to be the case and lets face it, it appears that you are the one being afraid - or as you now say, "concerned".
I get the impression that your concern is way too late anyway.
No, because on a personal note it doesn't bother me that I'm on the train. My concern is for everyone else.

Sounds noble. But is it truly noble?
In fact, using the train as an analogy for life, the train would be headed for a head-on collision, and I would be riding in the caboose. The least likely place to be affected by the accident.

Not likely to be hurt yourself then? Another aspect of your reward for service, to be positioned in relative safety.
So it's like I'm yelling from the caboose to the people in the front of the train that they better either jump off, or do whatever they can to slow the train down as quickly as they can.

I most likely won't be hurt either way back here in the caboose.
Sure. Yell all you like, that isn't going to change anything.
This isn't about me. :D
Are you sure about that? What makes you think people will appreciate your warning them of the inevitable from a position of relative safety?
Has it assisted you, being more aware of the problem? Are any solutions coming through now that you are aware? Is fear the best way to approach solution?
I never suggested that fear is a solution to anything. However being aware of a problem is already a step toward solution. If you are on the train, or near the tracks I would suggesting doing whatever you can to either try to stop the accident from happening, or get yourself out of the way of the flying debris.

Like I say, I'm in the caboose. Plus I'm aware of the upcoming accident, so I'm prepared to jump off the caboose if need be.

I think the better analogy altogether is 'The Titanic'. Perhaps in that, you are one of those on the lifeboats.

It was never my intend to scare anyone with this thread.

I'm just giving a heads-up to anyone who might be interested (as the news broadcast did in the OP). In situations like this there will be those who know what to do, and those who don't. If you are among the latter there isn't much I can do for you.
"Heads up fake news everybody!"

Well okay. When I see something which I might suspect, I generally do some research. If it turns out that the research uncovers other data which contradicts, - unless it is able to be rectified in some manner - such as my being able to do anything more about it, I disregard both as non relevant.

But I think that the damage has already been done and the ship is already going down. For me personally it isn't a question of saving myself - and the Fake News problem is just a symptom of a far greater one which has consistently been ignored.

For me, I am a bit like the musicians on The Titanic who accepted their fate and remained calm about it. Those who feel they have the most to lose will inevitably be the ones who panic the most.

It is what it is.
If you are in a situation where you can do something, then by all means do it. Even if it just means getting off the train to save yourself.
There is no getting off this train. Death is inevitable. Political agenda involving systems of disparity are beyond my ability to do much, if anything, about. It is more The Titanic than simple a train on tracks which has some hope of being stopped.

No - am not being pessimistic, I am being realistic.

I also acknowledge that I appear to being awfully joudgmental here, and I don;t mean to appear that way but it is the risk one taks when responding to judgmental arguments and you have been making those so this is my response.

I could of course, take the *ignore* option, but the truth is I like you a lot. I think you have done what you could do in a system and indeed, in a reality you have found yourself within and doing the best - making the most of a bad situation of which you were 'blessed' with certain events which helped you in that.

I call that 'GOD' - you say 'No!'... You win.

GOD is 'evil' and I have dealt with that and walk with the GOD who came good, from that evil.

WE are all mirrors to one another, and in that we can see humanity as a curse to be disposed of - and its dreadful idea of an ancient god along with it, or we can transform IT through our reactions toward one another.

I tell you what I have learned to Trust in though.

Come hell or highwater and no matter the cost, GOD is going to get what GOD wants and in that, the remnant few who are able to survive this mess are going to be HIS vessel to that agenda.

There are other ways of achieving the same of course, but that requires being on the Same Page.

Me? I am just the imperfect messenger, but what of that?

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: Where are we getting our news from?

Post #9

Post by Divine Insight »

William wrote: I tell you what I have learned to Trust in though.

Come hell or highwater and no matter the cost, GOD is going to get what GOD wants and in that, the remnant few who are able to survive this mess are going to be HIS vessel to that agenda.

There are other ways of achieving the same of course, but that requires being on the Same Page.

Me? I am just the imperfect messenger, but what of that?
So now you are a "messenger of God".

And what exactly is the message?

That we are all doomed except those who are on the same page as God?

I have no problem with that message at all.

I'm on the page of Good.

If God is also on the page of Good, then God's on the same page as me. :D

I have always said, "The only God I would need to fear would be an Evil God."

So if there exists a Good God then I'm already on the same page as that God.

I see no need to support hateful bigoted religious groups, or a clearly immoral political administration to support a Good God. ;)

I also don't see what this has to do with not being able to tell real news from fake news. Clearly you have concerns that go far beyond the scope of the topic of this thread.
[center]Image
[/center]

William
Savant

Re: Where are we getting our news from?

Post #10

Post by William »

Divine Insight wrote: Clearly you have concerns that go far beyond the scope of the topic of this thread.
Like I already said;

"But I think that the damage has already been done and the ship is already going down. For me personally it isn't a question of saving myself - and the Fake News problem is just a symptom of a far greater one which has consistently been ignored. "

That is the truth and as such, it is Good..