What does it take to become a Christian?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

From a current thread:
Zzyzx wrote:
Volbrigade wrote: Do you, a regular contributor on a "Debating Christianity" website, know how one becomes a Christian?
Do you, a regular contributor on a "Debating Christianity" website, know WHO is empowered to decide what it takes to be become a Christian AND by whom are they given such authority?

Hint: NO ONE is empowered or authorized to decide who is a Christian or what it takes to become a Christian -- only the individual involved. Anyone else may have an OPINION or their preferred club may have an opinion, but those are NOT binding on others – and are not matters for debate OR comment.

Some of the tens of thousands of Christian clubs (called denominations) may have requirements and rituals for people joining their particular club, but none speak for Christendom in general.

In these debates if a person says they are a Christian (or 'checks the box') NO ONE is entitled to dispute the statement.
Does anyone think that they can identify what it takes to become a Christian?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Youkilledkenny
Sage

Re: What does it take to become a Christian?

Post #2

Post by Youkilledkenny »

[Replying to post 1 by Zzyzx]
Does anyone think that they can identify what it takes to become a Christian?
While each person is different:
Initially there needs to be a 'need' or 'desire' that can't be filled by anything else the individual has tried (though they may have not looked too hard)
Then you need to be readily susceptible to guilt and fear, while being able to supersede any common sense you once had.
Then find a bible that you like and maybe a church.
The rest is all personalized salvation.

Savant

Post #3

Post by 1213 »

Zzyzx wrote: Does anyone think that they can identify what it takes to become a Christian?
Interesting question. Bible tells how one can become disciple of Jesus. And it is by these:

Therefore go, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I commanded you. Behold, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."
Mat. 28:19-20

Jesus therefore said to those Jews who had believed him, "If you remain in my word, then you are truly my disciples. You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."
John 8:31-32

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Zzyzx »

1213 wrote: . . . observe all things that I commanded you. Behold, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."

"If you remain in my word, then you are truly my disciples.
That leaves out nearly everyone. It doesn't say TRY to observe and remain in word. It says DO IT -- and no one apparently does that. Agreed?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #5

Post by OnceConvinced »

A true Christian is one who interprets the bible the same way as I do and believes the same things as I do.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Savant

Post #6

Post by 1213 »

Zzyzx wrote: That leaves out nearly everyone. It doesn't say TRY to observe and remain in word. It says DO IT -- and no one apparently does that. Agreed?
I don’t know all people, so I am not right person to say how many are really disciples of Jesus. However, Jesus says in the Bible:

How narrow is the gate, and restricted is the way that leads to life! Few are those who find it.
Matt. 7:14

For many are called, but few chosen.
Matt. 22:14

Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter into the Kingdom of Heaven; but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will tell me in that day, 'Lord, Lord, didn't we prophesy in your name, in your name cast out demons, and in your name do many mighty works?' Then I will tell them, 'I never knew you. Depart from me, you who work iniquity.'
Matt. 7:21-23

I tell you that he will avenge them quickly. Nevertheless, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?"
Luke 18:8

On basis of those, the group is not very large in comparison to whole population.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #7

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Zzyzx wrote: Does anyone think that they can identify what it takes to become a Christian?
Yes, to become a Christian a peron must learn about and then follow the teachings of Christ. The teachings of Christ have been preserved in the pages of the bible.

Jehovahs Witness
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

postroad
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by postroad »

[Replying to post 7 by JehovahsWitness]
As interpreted by the Governing Body of the Watchtower Society.

Hawkins
Scholar

Post #9

Post by Hawkins »

A Christian is one decided to follow Jesus and take Jesus as his personal redeemer and savior. Then all left is for Jesus to evaluate if he's qualified.

Practically and responsibly a Christian thus needs to examine by the standard specified in both the Bible and God's earthly church to see if he himself can be qualified. For such an evaluation to be correct, you need to first identify and join a qualified church (the most basic evaluation is by the Apostle's Creed).

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #10

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Hawkins wrote:Practically and responsibly a Christian thus needs to examine by the standard specified in both the Bible and God's earthly church to see if he himself can be qualified. For such an evaluation to be correct, you need to first identify and join a qualified church (the most basic evaluation is by the Apostle's Creed).
So do you mean that one must be conform to God's standards as expressed through God's earthly church to be sure to be a Christian? Why do you believe that?

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8