What does it take to become a Christian?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

From a current thread:
Zzyzx wrote:
Volbrigade wrote: Do you, a regular contributor on a "Debating Christianity" website, know how one becomes a Christian?
Do you, a regular contributor on a "Debating Christianity" website, know WHO is empowered to decide what it takes to be become a Christian AND by whom are they given such authority?

Hint: NO ONE is empowered or authorized to decide who is a Christian or what it takes to become a Christian -- only the individual involved. Anyone else may have an OPINION or their preferred club may have an opinion, but those are NOT binding on others – and are not matters for debate OR comment.

Some of the tens of thousands of Christian clubs (called denominations) may have requirements and rituals for people joining their particular club, but none speak for Christendom in general.

In these debates if a person says they are a Christian (or 'checks the box') NO ONE is entitled to dispute the statement.
Does anyone think that they can identify what it takes to become a Christian?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

William
Savant

Re: What does it take to become a Christian?

Post #21

Post by William »

Zzyzx wrote:
William wrote: If the question isn't rhetorical, then you are obviously thinking there is an answer...do you have an answer to that question yourself?
Why is my answer important?
I don't know, Maybe it isn't. Do you have one?
Isn't it Christians who should agree what Christian means?
Why would anyone say that? Why do you think that should be the case?
As far as I am concerned, every person is entitled to self-identify as a Christian and no one is entitled to claim they are not.
Along with that I would also add "no one is entitled to say Christians should all agree with what 'Christian' means"
As well as that, no one should say a person is a Christian just because the persons likes Jesus and tries to do what Jesus says...if indeed that person doesn't self identify as being 'Christian' anyway.
William wrote: Why do you require an answer? Will it somehow help you to know without doubt and for sure?
I do not require an answer. It is a question for debate. This is a debate site. Kapish?
That is why I am asking the questions I am asking you - because I don't see how it can be up for debate, and give my reasons.
Does anyone think that they can identify what it takes to become a Christian?
That is what I have been saying. Lots of people have their idea as to the answer and the answers are varied, but so what?

How is that a matter of debate unless there should be a correct answer, which is why I asked you for your answer.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #22

Post by Zzyzx »

William wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: Does anyone think that they can identify what it takes to become a Christian?
That is what I have been saying. Lots of people have their idea as to the answer and the answers are varied, but so what?
So, there is no answer generally agreed upon within Christendom -- they don't know and/or cannot agree.
William wrote: How is that a matter of debate unless there should be a correct answer,
Many questions without 'correct answers' are debated.

It seems as though those who identify as Christian SHOULD be able to say what is required to become a Christian. That the various sects and individuals cannot agree on the requirements indicates that there are NO set requirements.

If one asks 'What does it take to become an airline pilot?' the requirements are clearly specified.
William wrote: which is why I asked you for your answer.
Is this to say that my answer is the correct answer?

Should I, a Non-Theist, be in a position to say what is required to become a Christian?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

William
Savant

Post #23

Post by William »

Zzyzx wrote: .
William wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: Does anyone think that they can identify what it takes to become a Christian?
So, there is no answer generally agreed upon within Christendom -- they don't know and/or cannot agree.
Correct. What they might agree to though, is that the final say on the matter is for Jesus to decide.
Jesus himself was never quoted as calling any of his followers 'Christians' anyway, so how that will go down is anyone's guess...unless the bible say something about that.
William wrote: How is that a matter of debate unless there should be a correct answer,
Sure. So my answers might be the correct ones. How could anyone be able to tell though? Will debate on this predictably give a definitive answer that all can agree with? I say 'no' and give reasons for why that is the case.
It seems as though those who identify as Christian SHOULD be able to say what is required to become a Christian.
Why? What reason would there be for this having to be the case? The best anyone could hope for is for those who call themselves Christians to say why THEY - as individuals decide what is required of them to become a Christian.
That the various sects and individuals cannot agree on the requirements indicates that there are NO set requirements.
Well one springs to mind. Jesus said “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.� so if anyone wants to know what a follower of Jesus is, that would be a good place to start looking.
Christianity came along later and all those various 'requirements' which Christians seem to be in disagreement with, seem besides the point.

Or in other words..."What does it take to become a Christian?" is subject to 'what type of Christian' is subject to 'what type of Christianity', and thus how is that debatable when the information is freely available on the internet?
Therein one can see for themselves that there are many different types thus it is obvious that there have to be as many different requirements
If one asks 'What does it take to become an airline pilot?' the requirements are clearly specified.
Is there only one type of airline pilot then?

Should I, a Non-Theist, be in a position to say what is required to become a Christian?
No. But your question is non-theist presumption that there should be a common answer. Why the presumption, when a simple net search can show you that is not the case?

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #24

Post by Zzyzx »

“We are members of an exclusive club that provides after-death benefits -- but we cannot agree what is required to become a member. So make up whatever you wish and call yourself a member.“
William wrote:
Zzyzx wrote:
Sure. So my answers might be the correct ones. How could anyone be able to tell though? Will debate on this predictably give a definitive answer that all can agree with? I say 'no' and give reasons for why that is the case.
Debate on the topic calls attention to there being no set requirements for joining the Christian Club – thus, claiming membership is largely meaningless.
William wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: It seems as though those who identify as Christian SHOULD be able to say what is required to become a Christian.
Why? What reason would there be for this having to be the case? The best anyone could hope for is for those who call themselves Christians to say why THEY - as individuals decide what is required of them to become a Christian.
Exactly. Membership in the Christian Club has no generally accepted requirements so every individual can make up their own.
William wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: That the various sects and individuals cannot agree on the requirements indicates that there are NO set requirements.
Well one springs to mind. Jesus said “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.� so if anyone wants to know what a follower of Jesus is, that would be a good place to start looking.
If that is / was a requirement set by Jesus himself, it seems to eliminate many or most who self-identify as followers of (or disciples of) Jesus.
William wrote: Christianity came along later and all those various 'requirements' which Christians seem to be in disagreement with, seem besides the point.
If the supposed founder of a club set one requirement and later club officials largely ignore (or pay lip service to) that requirement but invent their own variable requirements, it seems as though the club is no longer true to the supposed founder.
William wrote: Or in other words..."What does it take to become a Christian?" is subject to 'what type of Christian' is subject to 'what type of Christianity', and thus how is that debatable when the information is freely available on the internet?
Therein one can see for themselves that there are many different types thus it is obvious that there have to be as many different requirements
Yes. The club seems to have been hijacked in many different, competing directions.
William wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: If one asks 'What does it take to become an airline pilot?' the requirements are clearly specified.
Yes – the term 'airline pilot' includes only those who are qualified to fly airliners. There are specific requirements for joining the club 'airline pilot'.

Individuals are not authorized to claim membership in that club without meeting specific requirements OR to make up their own 'requirements'.
William wrote:
Zzyzx wrote:

No. But your question is non-theist presumption that there should be a common answer. Why the presumption, when a simple net search can show you that is not the case?
Careful reading of the OP question does not include a 'Non-Theist presumption'.

Is it difficult to distinguish between a question and a declaration?

The OP question: “Does anyone think that they can identify what it takes to become a Christian?� clearly does NOT make a presumption.
Non-Theist

William
Savant

Post #25

Post by William »

“We are members of an exclusive club that provides after-death benefits -- but we cannot agree what is required to become a member. So make up whatever you wish and call yourself a member.“
Well that branches out way beyond the boarders of Christendom. The way I approach data which exists within different theist and non-theist interpretations of their subjective experiences, is to accept what they all offer and from that see if the pieces can fit together to form a more comprehensive picture than they do by themselves, as group beliefs.
William wrote:
Zzyzx wrote:
Debate on the topic calls attention to there being no set requirements for joining the Christian Club – thus, claiming membership is largely meaningless.
To the outsider, sure. But what of that? It is already known so what point is there in offering it up as something to 'debate'? Indeed, such types of questions simply circulate - so it is debate going nowhere and has been since ancient times.

When debate simply becomes a form of entertaining distraction, it loses credibility as any particular education device for advancing knowledge and truth.

William wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: It seems as though those who identify as Christian SHOULD be able to say what is required to become a Christian.
Exactly. Membership in the Christian Club has no generally accepted requirements so every individual can make up their own.
This is indeed what happens. Nothing to debate in that.
William wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: That the various sects and individuals cannot agree on the requirements indicates that there are NO set requirements.
If that is / was a requirement set by Jesus himself, it seems to eliminate many or most who self-identify as followers of (or disciples of) Jesus.
What we are looking for is Love. Does love exist in Christendom?

We could say 'yes, there it is' displayed in the actions of those within their particular 'clubs' but are we to see that this love is about Jesus or is it more about group agreement? Do they love one another because of Jesus or because of the particular doctrine/dogma they agree with?

How can we tell?

We could look, for example, at the common denominator - the claim "we follow Jesus" and then find the same claim in another and another group, and then from there - we see that they do indeed love one another within the group but do not recognize members of other groups claiming to follow Jesus also, so therefore they do not love those other members of other groups because they judge the other groups as NOT following Jesus.

What is the other common denominator?

Doctrine/dogma.

So we can observe the groups developing Doctrine/dogma and then trying to dovetail Jesus into these things in order to give those things Authority.

The other way around would mean that doctrine/dogma becomes unnecessary.

All that Jesus requires of his followers is that they love one another.

This also applies to doctrine/dogma - all that is required is that you love the doctrine/dogma and this shows that you follow after the doctrine/dogma.
William wrote: Christianity came along later and all those various 'requirements' which Christians seem to be in disagreement with, seem besides the point.
If the supposed founder of a club set one requirement and later club officials largely ignore (or pay lip service to) that requirement but invent their own variable requirements, it seems as though the club is no longer true to the supposed founder.
That would be a logical conclusion, therefore a truthful observation.
William wrote: Or in other words..."What does it take to become a Christian?" is subject to 'what type of Christian' is subject to 'what type of Christianity', and thus how is that debatable when the information is freely available on the internet?
Yes. The club seems to have been hijacked in many different, competing directions.
Can we even go so far as to drop the 'seems to' bit of that statement? :) It was never itended to be a club but a way of life, largely different from the way life had been lived up to that point.
William wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: If one asks 'What does it take to become an airline pilot?' the requirements are clearly specified.
Yes – the term 'airline pilot' includes only those who are qualified to fly airliners. There are specific requirements for joining the club 'airline pilot'.

Individuals are not authorized to claim membership in that club without meeting specific requirements OR to make up their own 'requirements'.
Training is required. One has to learn to Love. One has to learn what it means to actually 'follow Jesus' rather than follow after the made up requirements.
William wrote:
Zzyzx wrote:
I would say, as a simple statement, yes - it is correct (if I am understanding you correctly.) :)

Careful reading of the OP question does not include a 'Non-Theist presumption'.
I did not say the OP was making the presumption.
Is it difficult to distinguish between a question and a declaration?
Not when one knows how to tell the difference.
The OP question: “Does anyone think that they can identify what it takes to become a Christian?� clearly does NOT make a presumption.
No. It is making the presumption that there is one answer which can satisfy all.

'What it takes to become a Christian' is not the same as "what it takes to become a follower of Jesus." to think otherwise is to presume that this is the case.

The idea accompanying the OP suggests that no one can say for sure - what a 'Christian' is , and therefore that no one is entitled to dispute the statement "I am a 'Christian'".

All that can be asked from that person is to say which type of 'Christian' they identify as being'.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #26

Post by OnceConvinced »

American Deist wrote: [Replying to post 17 by OnceConvinced]

Those people are stating denominational specific beliefs, not biblical requirements. I do not concern myself with traditional teachings, only biblical. Just wait until I start talking about Satan, Heaven, Hell, etc. :shock:
Most of them say they have gotten their beliefs from the bible. That they ARE requirements. Let's face it you can come up with any crazy belief you want and there will be scriptures to support it in the bible. We see it here all the time. I see it all the time outside of the Internet.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #27

Post by OnceConvinced »

William wrote: .

Is one asking that question in order to define then 'what a Christian is'?

'What is a Christian"?

It is like asking, 'what is a GOD?'

If the question isn't rhetorical, then you are obviously thinking there is an answer...do you have an answer to that question yourself?

Why do you require an answer? Will it somehow help you to know without doubt and for sure?
This is a very important question. How is anyone to determine that they are a true Christian if it can't be explained what a true Christian is or how one becomes one?

Here's a question for you. How do YOU know you are a true Christian?

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

William
Savant

Post #28

Post by William »

OnceConvinced wrote:
William wrote: .

Is one asking that question in order to define then 'what a Christian is'?

'What is a Christian"?

It is like asking, 'what is a GOD?'

If the question isn't rhetorical, then you are obviously thinking there is an answer...do you have an answer to that question yourself?

Why do you require an answer? Will it somehow help you to know without doubt and for sure?
This is a very important question. How is anyone to determine that they are a true Christian if it can't be explained what a true Christian is or how one becomes one?
Hmmm...so now there is some such thing as a 'true Christian'? This changes the dynamic of the OP question. Do you think that is really what the OP Q is asking?
Here's a question for you. How do YOU know you are a true Christian?
Here's a question for you. What makes you think I am a Christian?

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #29

Post by Zzyzx »

William wrote:
OnceConvinced wrote: This is a very important question. How is anyone to determine that they are a true Christian if it can't be explained what a true Christian is or how one becomes one?
Hmmm...so now there is some such thing as a 'true Christian'? This changes the dynamic of the OP question. Do you think that is really what the OP Q is asking?
As originator of the thread, I make no distinction between 'Christian' and 'True Christian'. Christendom cannot agree on the meaning of those terms and I certainly do not pretend to know such things.
William wrote:
OnceConvinced wrote: Here's a question for you. How do YOU know you are a true Christian?
I, for one, have no opinion regarding your (or anyone's) Christianity or religious beliefs. If you claim to be a Christian or a good enough. If you claim to be NOT a Christian, good enough. That is your business, not mine.

Rephrasing the question OC asked, How does anyone know if they are a Christian – or a 'True Christian' if they apply that term to themselves?
Non-Theist

William
Savant

Post #30

Post by William »

William wrote:
OnceConvinced wrote: This is a very important question. How is anyone to determine that they are a true Christian if it can't be explained what a true Christian is or how one becomes one?
As originator of the thread, I make no distinction between 'Christian' and 'True Christian'. Christendom cannot agree on the meaning of those terms and I certainly do not pretend to know such things.

So Christian=true Christian - no difference. Fine. It's your call.
William wrote:
OnceConvinced wrote: Here's a question for you. How do YOU know you are a true Christian?
I, for one, have no opinion regarding your (or anyone's) Christianity or religious beliefs. If you claim to be a Christian or a good enough. If you claim to be NOT a Christian, good enough. That is your business, not mine.

Rephrasing the question OC asked, How does anyone know if they are a Christian – or a 'True Christian' if they apply that term to themselves?
I wouldn't know and they telling me wouldn't make it any clearer, due to the distinctions already discussed. Maybe a Christian/true Christian might think they could make it clearer to you. I don't see how though, given the distinctions already discussed.

I don't have the need to know the answer to that question myself, as it doesn't seem of any importance or would likely make any difference per the distinctions already discussed.