Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Youkilledkenny
Sage

Why not to be a Christian

Post #1

Post by Youkilledkenny »

There are many positive reasons for becoming a Christian:
It makes you feel good (or bad, whichever you like more)
You get eternal perfection/avoid eternal death
You can look down on others
You're always right because there's no universal standard that everyone agrees on which to be measured
You can use God to hide behind for most anything
If you're a leader, you can make serious bank
If you're a leader, you can control others

Surely there's more to list.

But what are the reasons NOT to become Christian?
Are they as potent as the positives?
Do these "cons" outweigh the "pros"?

Willum
Savant

Post #2

Post by Willum »

Because Jews and Christians have to believe they are born in sin, and less perfect than their deity.

I would be unable to believe I was born into awesomeness, and would also have to believe that the mistakes God made are part of a bigger perfect plan, that couldn't have been corrected t+a few days after Genesis, and so stop me from, humbly, correcting them.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Re: Why not to be a Christian

Post #3

Post by OnceConvinced »

Youkilledkenny wrote: There are many positive reasons for becoming a Christian:
You're always right because there's no universal standard that everyone agrees on which to be measured

You can ignore all your problems and believe that God will take care of them.
You don't have to think too hard. Just take the stance "because the bible says so"
You can pray and thus convince yourself that you are doing something constructive even though you're doing nothing constructive.
Youkilledkenny wrote: But what are the reasons NOT to become Christian?
Some of them have been listed under good reasons to believe!

Encourages you to be judgemental
Encourages you to be prejudice against minority groups
Gives you delusions of grandeur
Encourages you to waste time on religious rituals such as prayer, bible study, church, etc.
Makes you less likely to get off your butt and take action to improve things. Makes you complacent (believing that God has everything under control)
Gives you an unrealistic view of the world (God is doing all this stuff)
Gives you a negative view of the world (we are all evil bugger who deserve death)
Discourages you from thinking outside the box. ie everything has to be within the confines of the bible box.
Discourages you from mixing and mingling with non-Christians.
Gives you old fashioned notions and beliefs, eg God causes natural disasters to punish us.
Encourages you to believe in things that just can't be true -eg Noah's Ark story
Has you focussing your attention on fantasies rather than what's real

Youkilledkenny wrote: Are they as potent as the positives?
I'm not sure. The fear of death is a huge issue for humans and having a belief in the afterlife, even if it's not real is a powerful thing. Taking away the fear of death is a huge thing. Having the belief that God has everything under control can give you peace in life.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Zzyzx »

None of those 'positive' reasons appeal to me in the slightest. I am confident handling my own affairs and decisions without imaginary 'help' or 'guidance', I take responsibility for my actions, and I have no fear of death. Life treats me very well so I have no need to 'hope' for something better 'after you die'. Thus, religion has nothing to offer that I need or want.
Youkilledkenny wrote: But what are the reasons NOT to become Christian?
I rejected Christianity / Catholicism / Theism beginning at about age eight or ten. Even at that age I was unwilling to discard my ability to reason in order to believe whatever I was told – particularly regarding fanciful Bible tales.

The passing decades have reinforced that decision. I do not allow others to tell me how to live or what to do (or not do). I decide what works for me in the society I inhabit. I will not 'check my brain at the door' or beg forgiveness for imaginary 'transgressions'.

Arguments presented in favor of religion in general and Christianity in particular are, in my opinion, pathetic appeals to emotion rather than to intelligence and reasoning.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Savant

Post #5

Post by 1213 »

Youkilledkenny wrote: ...
That is interesting claim, Jesus said:

For they bind heavy burdens that are grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not lift a finger to help them. But all their works they do to be seen by men. They make their phylacteries broad, enlarge the fringes of their garments, and love the place of honor at feasts, the best seats in the synagogues, the salutations in the marketplaces, and to be called 'Rabbi, Rabbi' by men. But don't you be called 'Rabbi,' for one is your teacher, the Christ, and all of you are brothers. Call no man on the earth your father, for one is your Father, he who is in heaven. Neither be called masters, for one is your master, the Christ. But he who is greatest among you will be your servant. Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.
Mat. 23:4-12

I don’t see how the control others and look down others would work, if person really is disciple of Jesus.

Monta
Guru

Post #6

Post by Monta »

[Replying to post 5 by 1213]

"I don’t see how the control others and look down others would work, if person really is disciple of Jesus."

Not only that, the whole exercise has nothng to do with Christian religion.

JJ50
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by JJ50 »

But what are the reasons NOT to become Christian?
Are they as potent as the positives?
I was a 'born again' Christian in my youth, not a happy time for me. I never once had any sense god or Jesus were around somewhere. The more I questioned the faith the less credible it seemed until I lost it all together by the time I left my teens. BIG RELIEF. The more I read the Bible the more unpleasant the god character seems, Satan couldn't be any worse.

Youkilledkenny
Sage

Post #8

Post by Youkilledkenny »

1213 wrote:
Youkilledkenny wrote: ...
That is interesting claim, Jesus said:

For they bind heavy burdens that are grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not lift a finger to help them. But all their works they do to be seen by men. They make their phylacteries broad, enlarge the fringes of their garments, and love the place of honor at feasts, the best seats in the synagogues, the salutations in the marketplaces, and to be called 'Rabbi, Rabbi' by men. But don't you be called 'Rabbi,' for one is your teacher, the Christ, and all of you are brothers. Call no man on the earth your father, for one is your Father, he who is in heaven. Neither be called masters, for one is your master, the Christ. But he who is greatest among you will be your servant. Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.
Mat. 23:4-12

I don’t see how the control others and look down others would work, if person really is disciple of Jesus.
I would agree. But I honestly don't see many leaders like this around (I'm sure they exist). What I have seen a lot of is certain people who would fall into this category being chastised for such a POV.
Much like the bible says Jesus way in his day. How... ironic?

Youkilledkenny
Sage

Post #9

Post by Youkilledkenny »

[Replying to post 7 by JJ50]
I was a 'born again' Christian in my youth, not a happy time for me.
It was a happy time for me. But I'm from a small town where everyone knew everyone else. Once I grew up and moved away, I learned the same things you did.
And the more I see "Christians" in today's world the less I like them. Fortunately, these "Christians" aren't anything like the Christian friends I currently have.

Monta
Guru

Post #10

Post by Monta »

[Replying to post 7 by JJ50]

"I was a 'born again' Christian in my youth, not a happy time for me. I never once had any sense god or Jesus were around somewhere. The more I questioned the faith the less credible it seemed until I lost it all together by the time I left my teens. BIG RELIEF. The more I read the Bible the more unpleasant the god character seems, Satan couldn't be any worse."

I studied theology then gave up religion for 20ys.
I think we just did not answers we were seeking.
Exept for Psalms and few other places OT is very hard to understand.

I'd stay with NT also many new age writers are highly spiritul - use
different words tell the same story.