Advertised Free Offers

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Advertised Free Offers

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

Advertising of 'free offers' or 'free gifts' raises big red flags for me. Almost always there are strings attached and the advertiser IS promoting an agenda or objective.

Religions advertising of a 'free gift of salvation' is no different from any other advertiser in that regard. There ARE strings. Apparently I would have to 'just BELIEVE' fanciful tales and wishful thinking by setting aside reasoning, experience, and intelligence. I would have to forsake what I have learned through life experience and science for many decades in order to 'go to heaven when you die'.

That is NOT a 'free gift'
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

Well, not only that but what is this free gift again?

A free gift of "salvation"? Who needs salvation? :-k

This would be like someone coming to my door offering me a free gift of a one-year detox program for heroin addicts.

Why in the world would I want that? I'm not a heroin addict.

This whole religious scam assumes that you're going to be naive enough to believe that you are in dire need of salvation from their imaginary God who is out to hateful damn you because you are such a horrible person. :roll:

Why anyone buys into this religious scam is beyond me. They must think pretty lowly of themselves. Why would anything think that an all-loving decent God would be out to damn them? :-k

That's ridiculous, unless they actually believe they are a horrible person who deserves to be damned.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Re: Advertised Free Offers

Post #3

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

Zzyzx wrote: .
Advertising of 'free offers' or 'free gifts' raises big red flags for me. Almost always there are strings attached and the advertiser IS promoting an agenda or objective.

Religions advertising of a 'free gift of salvation' is no different from any other advertiser in that regard. There ARE strings. Apparently I would have to 'just BELIEVE' fanciful tales and wishful thinking by setting aside reasoning, experience, and intelligence. I would have to forsake what I have learned through life experience and science for many decades in order to 'go to heaven when you die'.

That is NOT a 'free gift'
Free stuff invariably comes with a requirement that you give SOMETHING in return. Even if it is only your personal information. And that SHOULD raise red flags. Unfortunately it is often senior citizens that fall prey to these sorts of phishing tactics. Because all too often the minds of older people are no longer functioning at their best. Present company excluded of course.
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.