Gospel of John

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

polonius
Prodigy

Gospel of John

Post #1

Post by polonius »

There are disputes about who really authored the Gospels. One of the most interesting is the Gospel of John.

Is there evidence against his authorship? If so, what evidence?

oldbadger
Guru

Re: Gospel of John

Post #201

Post by oldbadger »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Were their legs broken? were they somehow nailed to the spot? .........
Contradiction or locomotion?
They probably would have been, (beaten away) f they'd gone anywhere where they were not allowed.
Would you have had the guts to try? Would you...? not quite like a supermarket queue! :D

oldbadger
Guru

Post #202

Post by oldbadger »

That's the 'issue' with the Gospel of John.
Those who need to believe in this gospel have to manipulate, twist and shove it this way and that, to connect it to the Jesus story.
Once connected, they do tend to focus upon it, along with Paul's and other letters in order to build up their faith.

...even to the point of disbelief in it where convenient, even to the point of (in chosen situations) some denying that Jesus had special powers. These points I can now prove.
That's how desperate is the need to keep the Gospel of John afloat. But it's sinking.

Written circa 100-120 AD. Sinking!
Reducing Jesus's casting of demons and increasing massively exaggerated miracles. Sinking!
Extending the timeline of Jesus's true mission. Sinking!
Mixing up the order of Jesus's actions. Sinking!
Desperate to include Jesus's estranged family. Sinking!

There are some very few pericopes in G-John which do assist the student of history, but the rest of it is just sad, in my opinion.

Monta
Guru

Post #203

Post by Monta »

[Replying to oldbadger]

"Hi....
There are so many that I could not choose just one, so if you would please follow this very simple trail you can then take your pick. Or you could read them all?

1. Go into www.google.com
2 Type in jesus bar
3. Google will finish Jesus Barabbas for you and then fill the page, and subsequent pages, with all you could need to know about this convict's whole name."

Thanks, I was only interested where is Jesus Barabbas connceted to Jesus of the Gospels. Hardly think Google would enlighten me.