Has the 'One True Church' been identified?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

Volbrigade wrote:
Tired of the Nonsense wrote: Apparently the one true church is the true church of Philadelphia. Which Volbrigade is privileged to be a member of.
Yes. And Amen.
Among the 320,000 churches in the US, ONE of them has been identified as the "One True Church".

This Forum is fortunate enough to have a member of that church as a debating member. S/he can explain to readers why that church is 'true' and the other 319,999 are (apparently) 'not true'.

Perhaps there are some who disagree?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

benchwarmer
Guru

Re: Has the 'One True Church' been identified?

Post #2

Post by benchwarmer »

[Replying to post 1 by Zzyzx]

Sounds like the person you quoted is about to find a new debate friend:

[JehovahsWitness opined]
I believe this is refering to the true religion (Jehovah's Witnesses) and the hundreds of thousands of true Christian congregations of Jehovah's Witnesses around the world
Perhaps the two of them can sort this out for us. Or maybe luck would have it that they belong to the same church and the two of them can convince the rest of us.

I'll go grab the popcorn.

JJ50
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by JJ50 »

There is no verifiable 'truth' where religion is concerned, they are all human inventions, imo.

postroad
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by postroad »

[Replying to post 1 by Zzyzx]
Which denomination is he with ?

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Zzyzx »

postroad wrote: Which denomination is he with ?
I have NO idea (though it may have been stated somewhere). It could be any of 40,000 sects OR some personal version of Christianity.

Not everyone is willing to (or required / expected to) identify their specific sub-brand of Christianity. There may be reasons to stay vague . . .
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Elijah John
Savant

Post #6

Post by Elijah John »

Zzyzx wrote: .
Z, by whom? Remember the RCC has made this claim for centuries, more recently the JWs. And you point out a few others.

Joseph Smith prayed and asked God a similar question, and got a visit from the angel Moroni for his troubles.

I doubt unless God Himself descends from the clouds we will ever get an answer to this question, except maybe in the afterlife.

Then, there are bound to be a lot of surprised faces in Heaven at the sight of all those "others" (the supposedly "lost") who have been admitted to the fellowship of their good and eternal company.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

postroad
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by postroad »

[Replying to post 5 by Zzyzx] Seems to be a recent splinter from the WWCOG.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #8

Post by OnceConvinced »

No specific church has ever been identified as the one true church. Of course that does not stop certain denominations from claiming to be the one true church, but of course nobody else takes them seriously.

The bible seems to suggest that all Christians should be in unity with one another. ie we are all one family. Even Jesus wanted it to be this way and expected it to happen so that the world could see it was all one big family and thus show the power of God.

It seems the Christian family is a very dysfunctional one and Jesus did not get what he prayed for. God and the holy spirit have been unable to bring all his followers together as one.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World