Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

JJ50
Banned
Banned

Where is god

Post #1

Post by JJ50 »

If the Biblical god really exists, and is not a figment of the imagination, why does it not make its presence clear without equivocation?

By not revealing its presence in a way that is irrefutable, it would be most unjust if unbelief resulted in dire consequences as some would have you believe.

Willum
Savant

Re: Where is god

Post #11

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 10 by JehovahsWitness]

And yet, Jehovahs Witness do not see that every time a new branch of Christianity springs up, it sees all the signs of the end times.

Jesus' followers saw them, in fact here's a list - you should check out year 1533.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_d ... tic_events

I think you'll find some of these predicted by JW's despite a short record.

Every time a sect springs up, the end is nigh. That's what they believe.
But the signs were cleverly chosen not to be believable, but to be perceivable.

"When there is great tumult in the world..."
When is there not great tumult...

"A charismatic leader..."
Because the dorky kind do so well.

"A dragon shall eat a fish on Monday..."
Obviously referring to Hillary and Trump.

and so on.

JW's it must be suggested are simply the most recent believers in the end of the world. Here's the thing. Even if the world does face a global calamity, the world won't end.

Look at the Dark Ages, if ever there was a calamity, that was it. Or perhaps they were the fulfillment of prophesy. It lasted about 1000 years. But that would mean either we're in heaven, or heaven has passed us by.

Or...
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #12

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Willum wrote: [Replying to post 10 by JehovahsWitness]

And yet, Jehovahs Witness do not see that every time a new branch of Christianity springs up, it sees all the signs of the end times.

As one of Jehovah's Witnesses I can say we are well informed as to previous understandings of end time prophecies including our own because we study the subject often. More than that we physically meet these many Christian group during the course of our house to house ministry, so we are probably as a group, one of the most well informed religions as to the beliefs and religious teachings in our community.

I have personally studied the topic for many years and yes, I am indeed familiar with Wikipedia.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #13

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Willum wrote: Even if the world does face a global calamity, the world won't end...
I would just point out that in Jehovah’s Witness teaching the "end of the world" does NOT mean the end of our planet or life thereon. I believe we are somewhat unique in that we do not believe this planet will ever be destroyed.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Savant

Post #14

Post by 1213 »

OnceConvinced wrote:I notice you use the word "usually" there. So there are cases where simply the knowledge that God exists would be enough. (as it would be for me).
I said usually because Bible shows that some people believed after they saw and some people didn’t believe, even though they saw all the miracles allegedly.

And I think it is not good, if your idea about good and right doesn’t depend on right understanding, but about knowledge is it from God. For example, when God says love, I think it should be obeyed because person understand it is good, not because he is not sure is it really from God. commandments are wrong and not good? If yes, why would you change your mind after you would surely know it is from God? If no, why would there be need from God to show up, if you already agree with Him?