Human Relationships v. Heavenly Relationships

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

Human Relationships v. Heavenly Relationships

Post #1

Post by 2Dbunk »

The Bible says we are to love God more than our family, our fellow man and woman, our lover . . . can this be true? Can this be possible? Yes, I’ve heard from the religiously afflicted that it is necessary to do so, but again (and again) reality enters the picture, ominously pooh-poohing such rationale as so much drivel. Satan’s work? My, what an option . . . no wonder so many of us are destined for hell.

Remember the passage in Huckleberry Finn that made that story a classic? That conversation between Huck after Nigger Jim woefully confessed his feelings for his family back home – Huckleberry then concluded, after much internal debate, that it was better to go to hell than divulge to the authorities fugitive Jim’s whereabouts. THAT WAS IN THE FACE OF years of CHRISTIAN SUNDAY SCHOOL TEACHIN’ and preaching! The point here: are human relationships more valuable, indeed more honorable, than, say, “Godly� dictates (or ecclesiastical interpretations thereof) ?

Which begs the question: are some of us more divine (and gooder) than the Biblical god?

Youkilledkenny
Sage

Re: Human Relationships v. Heavenly Relationships

Post #2

Post by Youkilledkenny »

[Replying to post 1 by 2Dbunk]
can this be true?
Being told to do so is not only true, but it happens too often, as you clearly see based on your post. However, I don't think those who make this claim are being honest.
are some of us more divine (and gooder) than the Biblical god?
Well I've never drowned human beings (men, women, children, women in the process of giving birth, babies, nor any animal) so on that alone, I would said I'm 'gooder'.
That's enough for me.

bluethread
Savant

Post #3

Post by bluethread »

Had Huck known what HaTorah actually said, he would have know that the Scripture forbid him from turning Nigger Jim in.

marco
Savant

Post #4

Post by marco »

2Dbunk wrote:
Which begs the question: are some of us more divine (and gooder) than the Biblical god?

There is no competition - the character that the Bible writers have given Yahweh is suited for a long term in prison. What honourable being, under any circumstances, tells another to murder his son as a sign of loyalty? What brute has kids murdered because they called an old man "bald head" ?

We may not be gooder than God but we ARE, most of us, gooder than Yahweh. Which doesn't say much.

Savant

Post #5

Post by 1213 »

2Dbunk wrote: The Bible says we are to love God more than our family, our fellow man and woman, our lover . . . can this be true? Can this be possible? Yes, I’ve heard from the religiously afflicted that it is necessary to do so, but again (and again) reality enters the picture, ominously pooh-poohing such rationale as so much drivel. Satan’s work? ...
I would like to remind that in Bible, love God means this:

For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. His commandments are not grievous.
1 John 5:3

And God’s commandments are basically in “love your neighbor as yourself�.

Owe no one anything, except to love one another; for he who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law. For the commandments, "You shall not commit adultery," "You shall not murder," "You shall not steal," "You shall not give false testimony," "You shall not covet," [TR adds "You shall not give false testimony,"] and whatever other commandments there are, are all summed up in this saying, namely, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." Love doesn't harm a neighbor. Love therefore is the fulfillment of the law.
Romans 13:8-10

If person loves as God commands, he doesn’t for example murder, steal, lie… …If person loves something more than God, it is possible that he does evil things, which is not good in my opinion. It opens the “gates of hell� and unfortunately there are many places on earth where that seems to have happened.

So, maybe it is not possible for many, but I think it would be good for the whole humankind, if people would love God more than anything, because it would prevent many evil things to happen.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #6

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by 2Dbunk]

Doesn't "divine" mean "godlike". If so, the answer would be: it depends which God you are referring to.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by 2Dbunk »

[Replying to post 7 by JehovahsWitness]
Doesn't "divine" mean "godlike". If so, the answer would be: it depends which God you are referring to.
Sorry, I meant 'divine' as a comparison to what the Abrahamic god(s) offered. On another perspective we humans could be considered gods, as those pilgrims proclaiming gods don't seem to recognize the fact their gods are MIA. The Indians thought we were gods when we first encroached on their shores. Our pets think we are gods because we provide them with food and shelter. And we act as gods in laying down policy here on planet Earth (in lieu of heavenly guidance toward same).
What good is truth if its value is not more than unproven, handed-down faith?

One believes things because one is conditioned to believe them. -Aldous Huxley

Fear within the Religious will always be with them ... as long as they are fearful of death.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #8

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 8 by 2Dbunk]

So how can we be more like God than God Himself? I'm not understanding the question. ... isn't that like asking if something is more like an apple than an apple?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by 2Dbunk »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness]
So how can we be more like God than God Himself? I'm not understanding the question. ... isn't that like asking if something is more like an apple than an apple?
Not really. There are all kinds of apples, some good . . . some not as good. But in every case they are real . . . and comparable. Gods, on the other hand, though they are good and maybe some not as good, they arguably are not for real.

Because we have preconceived notions of the attributes of god(s), some of us being non-theist, are tempted to juxtapose ourselves into that superior position especially when god(s) like the Biblical god seem petulant and jealous at times. It is simply a situation of displacing a questionable god with behavior becoming a very good god. Does that make any sense to you?
What good is truth if its value is not more than unproven, handed-down faith?

One believes things because one is conditioned to believe them. -Aldous Huxley

Fear within the Religious will always be with them ... as long as they are fearful of death.