Does God change his mind?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

OnceConvinced
Savant

Does God change his mind?

Post #1

Post by OnceConvinced »

A Christian member of our forum recently pointed out a bible contradiction for all to see:

This verse was presented first:
Numbers 23:19 "God is not human, that he should lie, not a human being, that he should change his mind."

The Christian then attempted to trump it with a contradictory scripture where God DOES change his mind, thus exposing a blatant bible contradiction:

Jeremiah 18:8 "But if that nation about which I spoke turns from its evil way, I'll change my mind about the disaster that I had planned for it."

Here are further verses that show God changing his mind:

Exodus 32:14
So the LORD changed His mind about the harm which He said He would do to His people.

Amos 7:3
The LORD changed His mind about this. "It shall not be," said the LORD.

Jeremiah 18:10
if it does evil in My sight by not obeying My voice, then I will think better of the good with which I had promised to bless it. (wow this is a verse where God says he will break his promise!!)

So questions for debate:

Does Got change his mind?
If he does change his mind, how do we know he hasn't changed his mind about much of what he expected from us in the New Testament?
If he does change his mind, how can we really know what he wants of us today?

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

marco
Savant

Re: Does God change his mind?

Post #501

Post by marco »

hoghead1 wrote:
NO, of course not. Nobody is infallible. However, that isn't exactly the issue here. When we read the Bible or any work in "history," we have to use our discretion, fallible as that may be, too. All we can do is try and do the best we can.
You are optimistically assuming that decisions over history are like decisions in theology. They are not. We can reach historical conclusions from a wealth of experience. After all, history repeats itself. On making decisions about Biblical ideas - unless we are really just talking of historical or geographical detail - we are guided by our own bias or our own brand of faith.
hoghead1 wrote:
How do we know what is true in the Bible? As I said before, it all depends on what extra-biblical sources you bring into the picture.

I am not talking about historical details such as whether Irenaeus knew Polycarp or whether Polycarp knew John. We are dealing with assumptions about God's influence and about matters of faith. If we discard events like the raising of Lazarus, the Cana miracle, the parting of the Red Sea, the metamorphosis of Lot's wife... then we might as well look for God in Shakespeare.

Your position is rather shaky.

hoghead1
Guru

Post #502

Post by hoghead1 »

[Replying to post 501 by marco]

Gee, you know, I'd love to respond to your post here. I have some very important points in mind I'd like to share. However, I have resolved to stay on track. I'm trying to set a shining example for others to follow. So I am going to postpone any further comments on this matter until the appropriate OP crops us. Meanwhile, let's get back to whether God changes.

marco
Savant

Post #503

Post by marco »

hoghead1 wrote: [Replying to post 501 by marco]

Gee, you know, I'd love to respond to your post here. I have some very important points in mind I'd like to share. However, I have resolved to stay on track. I'm trying to set a shining example for others to follow. So I am going to postpone any further comments on this matter until the appropriate OP crops us. Meanwhile, let's get back to whether God changes.
Commendable as your shining path plan might be, I feel you are wasting your pearls. What is lauded in the atria of academia, at least in the theological antechambers, counts for very little among hoi polloi.

As I said, the path towards discussing God's changeability requires us to look at God's qualities, which in turn requires us to say whence we have got our notions of the deity. Problems then arise over our sources, our interpretations and over our too confident trust in our personal view of what divinity means. That, I think, is why discussion invariably reaches an ad hominem level, not from rancour, but from necessity, since the God we are discussing is often no more than the hot opinion of the other person. He changes therefore in accordance with the will of his human inventor. I think this is obvious.

hoghead1
Guru

Post #504

Post by hoghead1 »

[Replying to post 503 by marco]

I don't follow you here. Are you saying the others here should be viewed as just hoi polloi and so forget about 'em, or what?

Yes, sometimes discussion get hot. Occupational hazard. When that happens, we all need to work to get back on track.

Yes, everyone here is expressing their "opinions." That's given. That's what we are all here to do. The discussion should focus on they that "opinion" is held, what the rationale is, which I what I have been trying to do. But first, I want to get back on track, stick with the OP, not get into side issues, such as taking to the "hoi polloi,"a as you put it, the fact tempers sometimes flare, etc.

hoghead1
Guru

Post #505

Post by hoghead1 »

[Replying to post 504 by hoghead1]

Oops. Last para. should start, "The discussion should focus on why they hold such an opinion..." I am again haunted by typo's.

tryme
Student

Post #506

Post by tryme »

[Replying to post 1 by OnceConvinced]

Here's a simple answer---- there is no God! lol. And even if there is, he sure ain't in the Bible.
Here's a simple answer ----- the Bible was written by many different authors from many different cultures of many different generations with many different intentions! Of course shit ain't gonna line up.

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #507

Post by Blastcat »

hoghead1 wrote: I'm trying to set a shining example for others to follow.
And pray tell, what is this path?

:)

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #508

Post by OnceConvinced »

tryme wrote: [Replying to post 1 by OnceConvinced]

Here's a simple answer---- there is no God! lol. And even if there is, he sure ain't in the Bible.
Here's a simple answer ----- the Bible was written by many different authors from many different cultures of many different generations with many different intentions! Of course shit ain't gonna line up.

Moderator Comment

Hi, Tryme. Just a couple of things.

This is the Theology, Doctrine and Dogma subforum, so as such the bible is considered authoritative.

Secondly you have used offensive language in your post. Please avoid this in future.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

marco
Savant

Post #509

Post by marco »

hoghead1 wrote:

I don't follow you here. Are you saying the others here should be viewed as just hoi polloi and so forget about 'em, or what?
I am certainly not saying this, since I am among hoi polloi and I not so self-effacing.

Let me explain my choice of words. I said:

" .... atria of academia, at least in the theological antechambers, counts for very little among hoi polloi. "

I am using hoi polloi in suitable antithesis to the halls of theological academe and Marco would find himself among the uninitiated -hoi polloi - in that he has not been baptized into high theology. It is a comment on the gulf that divides our views and the way they are respectively (but one hopes respectfully) expressed.

hoghead1 wrote:
The discussion should focus on they that "opinion" is held, what the rationale is, which I what I have been trying to do.
I suppose "they" is a substitute for "the way" . The question of God's mind and its changes requires us to delve into what is understood by God so occasionally it seems we move away from the point.

hoghead1
Guru

Post #510

Post by hoghead1 »

[Replying to post 509 by marco]

Yes, we, or at least you, are getting way off the OP here, which is why I suggest that your concerns would be best addressed in sub-forums I have found here on educational requirements, etc. I came here to discuss changeability as it relates with God. That's the focus of the OP and that's the topic I'm sticking with.