Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

OnceConvinced
Savant

Does God break his promises?

Post #1

Post by OnceConvinced »

Jeremiah 18:10
if it does evil in My sight by not obeying My voice, then I will think better of the good with which I had promised to bless it.

In the above verse we have God threatening to break a promise he made. He had promised to bless, but is threatening to break that promise.

Was this a lie that God told, knowing full well he would not break his promise?
Or is it proof that God breaks his promises?
Last edited by OnceConvinced on Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Does God break his promises?

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

OnceConvinced wrote: Jeremiah 18:10
if it does evil in My sight by not obeying My voice, then I will think better of the good with which I had promised to bless it.

. He had promised to bless, but is threatening to break that promise.

Was this a lie that Jesus told, knowing full well he would not break his promise?

JEREMIAH 18:8-10
"Whenever I may speak about uprooting and pulling down and destroying a nation or a kingdom, 8 and that nation abandons its wickedness that I spoke against, I will also change my mind concerning the calamity that I intended to bring against it. 9 But whenever I speak about building up and planting a nation or a kingdom, and it does what is bad in my eyes and does not obey my voice, I will change my mind concerning the good that I intended to do for it.’ " - NWT
In the above verse we have God threatening to break a promise he made

No, we have God outlining the conditions for his judgements. That is, that he (God ) is willing to change his judgement depending on how the people react to the warnings. He promises to bless those who obey Him but only on the condition that they continue to do good. If they stop doing good He will withhold his blessings.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by Checkpoint »

In the above verse we have God threatening to break a promise he made. He had promised to bless, but is threatening to break that promise.

Was this a lie that Jesus told, knowing full well he would not break his promise?
Virtually every promise God has made has been conditional on human response.

That is a principle expressed throughout scripture.

Your questions assume the correctness of your evaluation.

Jesus?

What does he have to do with this? He was not yet here.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #4

Post by OnceConvinced »

Checkpoint wrote:

Virtually every promise God has made has been conditional on human response.
The above scripture shows that God made a promise FIRST and then is saying that he will break that promise if the human does not respond correctly.

Imagine this scenario:

Dad promises to give $5 pocket money to child
Dad then says "You must do the dishes each night if you want the $5"

Immediately the dad has gone back on his promise as he promised the money first with no conditions. Likewise the scripture shows where God has already determined to do good acts, but is actually threating to revoke those good acts
Checkpoint wrote:
Jesus?
What does he have to do with this? He was not yet here.
Sorry, I meant to type "God". I will edit the post.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #5

Post by OnceConvinced »

JehovahsWitness wrote:

No, we have God outlining the conditions for his judgements. That is, that he (God ) is willing to change his judgement depending on how the people react to the warnings. He promises to bless those who obey Him but only on the condition that they continue to do good. If they stop doing good He will withhold his blessings.

JW
You used this scripture in another thread to show that God changes his mind. You can't have it both ways.

Note that the verse there indicates that the promise to do good came first. He is now saying that he will NOT do the good he originally promised. That sounds like a broken promise to me.

If it's as you say then the scripture would read:

I will not do good to those who do evil in my sight by not obeying my voice.

But no, the scripture talks about him changing his mind (as you pointed out in another thread). So he goes from deciding to do good to someone to then changing his mind and saying "Oh no wait. I'm not going to do good for you now.", thus going back on his word.

It would be like me promising to you that I am going to give you 200 MPG points every day from now on and then then turning around and saying "OH, on second thoughts, only if you post stuff that I like."