Evangelical obsessions

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Evangelical obsessions

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

Why are Evangelicals and Jehovah's Witnesses obsessed with prophecies that Jesus supposedly fulfilled and with the book of Revelation?

Roman Catholics and (I'm guessing) mainline Protestants, Anglicans, and also Eastern Orthodox hardly emphasize these things at all.

Why the preoccupation with prophecy from Evangelicals and JWs?

How do either of these two topics have any bearing on how one lives their Christian life in the here and now?

Is preoccupation with the book of Revelation a form of escapism, akin to Sci-Fi?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Evangelical obsessions

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]

The word "obsession" indicates something unhealthy, unwanted and intrusive
In a psychological sense is a compulsive preoccupation with an idea or an unwanted feeling or emotion, often accompanied by symptoms of anxiety.

Merriam-Webster's defines OBSESSION as a persistent disturbing preoccupation with an often unreasonable idea or feeling
Given the above I would challenge the premises of the question.

The bible a book of Prophecy

WORDS OF JESUS

"So the scroll of the prophet Isaiah was handed to him ,[Jesus] and he opened the scroll [...] Then he began to say to them: “Today this scripture that you just heard is fulfilled.� - Luke 4:17

"But Jesus said to them: “A prophet is not without honor except in his home territory and among his relatives and in his own house.�" - Mark 6:4

"Whoever receives you receives me also, and whoever receives me receives also the One who sent me. Whoever receives a prophet because he is a prophet will get a prophet’s reward" - Mat 10:40, 41

"no sign will be given it except the sign of Jonah the prophet" - Mat 12:39
JEHOVAH A GOD OF PROPHECY

I am the Divine One and there is no other God, nor anyone like me; the One telling from the beginning the finale, and from long ago the things that have not been done.� (Isaiah 46:9, 10a)

Who is there like me? Let him call out and tell it and prove it to me! ... Let them tell both the things to come and what will yet happen. - Isaiah 44:7
BIBLE FACTS

** The words "Prophet/Prophetess" occurs over 433 times in the bible

** The words Prophecy in all its forms (Prophecies/prophecied/ Prophesy ect) appears an additional 170 times depending on the translation.

Source: biblestudytools.com
JW WEBSITE FACTS

Comparison of search results of all Jehovah’s Witness online publications 2000-2016

** Prophecy: 1599 results

** Health: 1927 results

** family life 1256 results

** LOVE: 4866 results

source:http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/h/r1/lp-e
Further Reading: Bible Prophecy
https://www.jw.org/en/publications/maga ... -prophecy/
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:37 pm, edited 15 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Elijah John
Savant

Post #3

Post by Elijah John »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]

The word "obsession" indicates something unhealthy, unwanted and intrusive
In a psychological sense is a compulsive preoccupation with an idea or an unwanted feeling or emotion, often accompanied by symptoms of anxiety.

Merriam-Webster's defines OBSESSION as a persistent disturbing preoccupation with an often unreasonable idea or feeling
Given the above I would challenge the premises of the question.

FAST FACTS

** The words "Prophet/Prophetess" occurs over 433 times in the bible

** The words Prophecy in all its forms (Prophecies/prophecied/ Prophesy ect) appears an additional 170 times depending on the translation.

Source: biblestudytools.com
If the shoe fits...but perhaps a more diplomatic term would be "pre-occupation". Why the pre-occupation with these things?

How do they make you a better Christian?

I have nothing against prophecy per se. But prophets were not usually meant to be predictive, primarily they were "mouthpieces for God" to express His will on a given matter or situation.

They were not intended to be "soothsayers".

But it seems that occasionally the Prophets did predict things.

But why all the twisting and turning to make even some non-prophetic passages fit Jesus?

Does his role as Messiah, or Son or God depend on such things?

Are his teachings any less valid even if he didn't fit or "fulfill" prophecy?

Seems to me they should and do, stand on their own merits.

-YHVH is LORD

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]
How do either of these two topics have any bearing on how one lives their Christian life in the here and now?
Prophecies relating to the second coming mean that we are waiting for that, and Jesus gave clear instructions and warning that how we live now, how we use that waiting time, will have an effect on how we are received when he comes.
Is preoccupation with the book of Revelation a form of escapism, akin to Sci-Fi?
For some it does seem that way.

It is a kind of hobby-horse for some, who think that it is the way to get ready.

Jesus told us to "watch", and they therefore watch what happens in world affairs and tie that with what they are convinced the Bible forecasts.

They tell us God has a prophecy clock that is counting down, and they are watching prophecy being fulfilled.

That is not what Jesus meant by "watch".

Rather, this is the intended meaning:

Strong's Concordance

grégoreó: to be awake, to watch
Original Word: γ�ηγο�έω

Definition: (a) I am awake (in the night), watch, (b) I am watchful, on the alert, vigilant.

Thayer's Greek Lexicon
STRONGS NT 1127: γ�ηγο�έω

2. Metaphorically, to watch i. e. give strict attention to, be cautious, active: — to take heed lest through remissness and indolence some destructive calamity suddenly overtake one, Matthew 24:42; Matthew 25:13; Mark 13:35,(37); Revelation 16:15; or lest one be led to forsake Christ, Matthew 26:41; Mark 14:38; or lest one fall into sin, 1 Thessalonians 5:6; 1 Corinthians 16:13; 1 Peter 5:8; Revelation 3:2f; or be corrupted by errors, Acts 20:31

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #5

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Elijah John wrote:
If the shoe fits...but perhaps a more diplomatic term would be "pre-occupation". Why the pre-occupation with these things?
Definition of PREOCCUPATION: an extreme or excessive concern with something
https://www.merriam-webster.com/diction ... occupation

Noun
when someone thinks or worries about something a lot, with the result that they do not pay attention to other things
I would have to ask by what authority and based on what verifiable criteria you deem yourself qualified to make this kind of assessment of the mental health of the over 8 million Jehovah’s Witnesses as well as how you know or can prove they "do not pay attention to other things".

These kind of groundless accusastions feed hate and only serve to marginalize minority groups like the Jehovah's Witnesses, so it only seems reasonable in a debating forum that such labels be justified.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

William
Savant

Post #6

Post by William »

Checkpoint wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]
Prophecies relating to the second coming mean that we are waiting for that, and Jesus gave clear instructions and warning that how we live now, how we use that waiting time, will have an effect on how we are received when he comes.

Citations re bold part please
Just Jesus quotes without accompanying interpretation.

Thanks.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by Checkpoint »

William wrote:
Checkpoint wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]

Citations re bold part please
Just Jesus quotes without accompanying interpretation.

Thanks.
Matthew 24:

37For as were the days of Noah, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. 38For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day when Noah entered the ark, 39and they were unaware until the flood came and swept them all away, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. 40Then two men will be in the field; one will be taken and one left. 41Two women will be grinding at the mill; one will be taken and one left.

42Therefore, stay awake, for you do not know on what day your Lord is coming. 43But know this, that if the master of the house had known in what part of the night the thief was coming, he would have stayed awake and would not have let his house be broken into. 44Therefore you also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect.

45“Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom his master has set over his household, to give them their food at the proper time? 46Blessed is that servant whom his master will find so doing when he comes. 47Truly, I say to you, he will set him over all his possessions.

48But if that wicked servant says to himself, ‘My master is delayed,’ 49and begins to beat his fellow servants and eats and drinks with drunkards, 50the master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he does not know 51and will cut him in pieces and put him with the hypocrites. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Matthew 25:

1Then the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went to meet the bridegroom.b 2Five of them were foolish, and five were wise. 3For when the foolish took their lamps, they took no oil with them, 4but the wise took flasks of oil with their lamps.

5As the bridegroom was delayed, they all became drowsy and slept. 6But at midnight there was a cry, ‘Here is the bridegroom! Come out to meet him.’ 7Then all those virgins rose and trimmed their lamps.

8And the foolish said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.’ 9But the wise answered, saying, ‘Since there will not be enough for us and for you, go rather to the dealers and buy for yourselves.’

10And while they were going to buy, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went in with him to the marriage feast, and the door was shut. 11Afterward the other virgins came also, saying, ‘Lord, lord, open to us.’ 12But he answered, ‘Truly, I say to you, I do not know you.’

13Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour.

William
Savant

Post #8

Post by William »

[Replying to post 7 by Checkpoint]

Well I see that these are instructions about behaving accordingly and doing what you can with your time to support the overall agenda.

Do you think that if one doesn't believe that the story of Jesus return is necessarily true, that this would somehow make that individual less inclined to be simply doing what Jesus wants them to do regardless?

In believing in the return of Jesus to fix the world do you find that it gives you the incentive you need to do the right thing by others?

Elijah John
Savant

Post #9

Post by Elijah John »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Elijah John wrote:
Definition of PREOCCUPATION: an extreme or excessive concern with something
https://www.merriam-webster.com/diction ... occupation

Noun
when someone thinks or worries about something a lot, with the result that they do not pay attention to other things
I would have to ask by what authority and based on what verifiable criteria you deem yourself qualified to make this kind of assessment of the mental health of the over 8 million Jehovah’s Witnesses as well as how you know or can prove they "do not pay attention to other things".

These kind of groundless accusastions feed hate and only serve to marginalize minority groups like the Jehovah's Witnesses, so it only seems reasonable in a debating forum that such labels be justified.

Actually, I think it is you and your ilk who feed the "us vs them" mentality and divides the world into categories of "saved vs lost" based on "proper" belief and worship.

What makes YOU qualified to decide what is and is not "proper worship" acceptiable to God?

You bring it on yourselves.

-YHVH is LORD

Elijah John
Savant

Post #10

Post by Elijah John »

William wrote: [Replying to post 7 by Checkpoint]

Well I see that these are instructions about behaving accordingly and doing what you can with your time to support the overall agenda.

Do you think that if one doesn't believe that the story of Jesus return is necessarily true, that this would somehow make that individual less inclined to be simply doing what Jesus wants them to do regardless?

In believing in the return of Jesus to fix the world do you find that it gives you the incentive you need to do the right thing by others?
Good points, and I would ask all the "end timers" isn't one's own inevitable demise incentive enough to get right, and stay right with God? After all it is believed at that time we shall all "meet our maker" and no one knows when.

But perhaps it is this belief in the "Rapture" that is so appealing with it's belief that true believers can bypass physical death.

I think that is the main selling point perhaps?

-YHVH is LORD