Evangelical obsessions

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Evangelical obsessions

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

Why are Evangelicals and Jehovah's Witnesses obsessed with prophecies that Jesus supposedly fulfilled and with the book of Revelation?

Roman Catholics and (I'm guessing) mainline Protestants, Anglicans, and also Eastern Orthodox hardly emphasize these things at all.

Why the preoccupation with prophecy from Evangelicals and JWs?

How do either of these two topics have any bearing on how one lives their Christian life in the here and now?

Is preoccupation with the book of Revelation a form of escapism, akin to Sci-Fi?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Re: Evangelical obsessions

Post #11

Post by Checkpoint »

William wrote: [Replying to post 7 by Checkpoint]
Well I see that these are instructions about behaving accordingly and doing what you can with your time to support the overall agenda.
Yes, something along those lines.
Do you think that if one doesn't believe that the story of Jesus return is necessarily true, that this would somehow make that individual less inclined to be simply doing what Jesus wants them to do regardless?
Probably.

Are you someone in that place, doubting that his return is true and will happen one day?
In believing in the return of Jesus to fix the world do you find that it gives you the incentive you need to do the right thing by others?
Yes, but not just the return but the whole shebang.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #12

Post by Checkpoint »

Elijah John wrote:

Well I see that these are instructions about behaving accordingly and doing what you can with your time to support the overall agenda.

Do you think that if one doesn't believe that the story of Jesus return is necessarily true, that this would somehow make that individual less inclined to be simply doing what Jesus wants them to do regardless?

In believing in the return of Jesus to fix the world do you find that it gives you the incentive you need to do the right thing by others?
You posted
Good points, and I would ask all the "end timers" isn't one's own inevitable demise incentive enough to get right, and stay right with God? After all it is believed at that time we shall all "meet our maker" and no one knows when.
Yes, the two, death and the return, have become so blended that one has virtually replaced the other in some circles.
But perhaps it is this belief in the "Rapture" that is so appealing with it's belief that true believers can bypass physical death.

I think that is the main selling point perhaps?
The whole "Rapture" idea as often promulgated, strikes me as shallow, biblically well off base, and pandering to self.

The prophecy industry does not impress but is flourishing - of course!

William
Savant

Post #13

Post by William »

Checkpoint wrote:
Yes, something along those lines.
Probably.
Why so? I don;t understand why this would be probable.
Are you someone in that place, doubting that his return is true and will happen one day?
I think it may be deceptive device which could have individuals resting on their laurels as the saying goes.
I gather the important thing is not belief in Jesus fixing the problems directly, but through his followers who walk the talk rather than fixate on any particular...questionable dogma of Christendom.
People look for 'walk the talk' and this appears to be well enough understood by Jesus in his teachings.
People are not impressed with door-knocking sects telling them all is hopeless apart from some need to believe that some god is going to save them from the present systems of disparity.

I think it fills a niche with a certain personality type but the walking the walk tends to translate into finding more converts for the particular sect rather than doing those things which Jesus said for his followers to do.

So if all Christians were walking the walk, then what need would there be for Jesus to come back and set up a throne and use his powerful army to subdue the systems of disparity?

I suppose most can agree that something isn't right but as can be witnessed, the 'something that isn't right' also seems to be regarded by members of one sect to be the 'other sects' within Christendom rather than all of Christendom together.

But as I have mentioned today either in this thread or some other, perhaps such a belief in Jesus returning from the clouds with an army which is able to subdue all the nations of power (superpowers) might have been something of a wondrous thing to ancient folk, but with today's knowledge, that situation would look more like an extraterrestrial species saving humanity from itself (its leaders).

So I wonder if indeed it would be wise to worship such beings as 'gods' just on account of them using their scientific engineering etc know-how to save humanity.

Or is this just another false impression (worship of Jesus in that way) which Christendom has brought into the general belief systems of Christianity?

In answer to your question, I am one of these people who figure it is just best to be nice and do nice and inject what good I can into my local environment.
I think of that as perhaps walking the talk (and not even talking really - just doing) and perhaps that is the kind of 'worship' GOD is interested in.
So I am definitely not one who thinks of worshiping a GOD in the generally understood manner of worship...I tend to see that as false and would not bow down to a demanding being claiming to be GOD, no matter that the being is seen to save humans from themselves.

So - well I guess that is why I don't go so far as to be motivated by those stories, have thought them through and seen the implications therein.

Yes, but not just the return but the whole shebang.
Well, be that as it may, your incentive is different than mine. I see no reason for the promised return to have to be a part of any incentive, for the reasons I have stated.

Thanks for your feedback.

:)

amortalman
Site Supporter

Post #14

Post by amortalman »

[Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]

"Why are Evangelicals and Jehovah's Witnesses obsessed with prophecies that Jesus supposedly fulfilled and with the book of Revelation?"

As a whole, I don't think Evangelicals ( don't know about the JW's) are obsessed with prophecies but there are many individuals within the Evangelical groups who are. I think there are several reasons.

1) They're dreamers.
2) They're frustrated and want god to actually do something to validate their beliefs.
3) It substitutes for actually doing something to further the gospel or help others.
4) They're excitement seekers and bored with church.
5) It's a good diversion from moral self-evaluation.

I'm sure there are other reasons but these quickly came to mind.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #15

Post by JehovahsWitness »

amortalman wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]

"Why are Evangelicals and Jehovah's Witnesses obsessed with prophecies that Jesus supposedly fulfilled and with the book of Revelation?"

As a whole, I don't think Evangelicals ( don't know about the JW's) ...
Hi

I posted some factual information about Jehovah's Witnesses in case you are interested on the subject (link below)

Link
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 464#848464
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

onewithhim
Savant

Post #16

Post by onewithhim »

Elijah John wrote:

Good points, and I would ask all the "end timers" isn't one's own inevitable demise incentive enough to get right, and stay right with God? After all it is believed at that time we shall all "meet our maker" and no one knows when.

But perhaps it is this belief in the "Rapture" that is so appealing with it's belief that true believers can bypass physical death.

I don't believe in "The Rapture" a la LaHaye and his ilk. It's not appealing to me, nor to any other JW.

William
Savant

Post #17

Post by William »

Elijah John wrote:

Well it is all the same as can be used to distract the individual from walking the talk. - Indeed, my appraisal of Jesus' sayings is that walking the walk is sufficient and talk is secondary - especially if it is just egos arguing differences on dogma re doctrine.