Is the bible the word of God?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Is the bible the word of God?

Post #1

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Jehovah’s Witnesses accept all the books 66 of the bible canon as the inspired Word of God and the final authority for Christian doctrine.

My question is this your view?
Why? Why Not?

EDIT

I'm sorry I should have said my question is directed at Christians. I understand if you don't believe there *is* a God there cannot by definition be a word of God.
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

OnceConvinced
Savant

Re: Is the bible the word of God?

Post #21

Post by OnceConvinced »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Jehovah’s Witnesses accept all the books 66 of the bible canon as the inspired Word of God and the final authority for Christian doctrine.

My question is this your view?
Why? Why Not?
Definitely not. There's no way these books could be the inspired word of god. Here is one example that shows it isn't. Would a god inspire this type of witchdoctory?

Num. 5:12-31

This lot of so-called godly wisdom tells us that if we suspect our wife has committed adultery, she is to be tested by making her drink water mixed with dirt. If she gets sick, she is guilty

Does that sound like the word of God to you?

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #22

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to post 19 by Checkpoint]
I see so many Christians here arguing that this or that scripture is the Apostle Paul's opinion on women rather than that that is what GOD thinks. That "of course" the flood didn't happen or that this scripture is in error because that scripture doesn't seem to agree with it,

it's easy to forget there are others that believe the bible is the perfect inerrant and faultless word of God.
I just want to add something to what I said in my reply.

The SDA people are strong Bible believers, pretty much like you JW folk are.

What you also have in common with them is a belief the Bible teaches what has come to be known as "conditional immortality".

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #23

[Replying to post 22 by Checkpoint]

Well I don't know what "conditional immorality" is but my OP wasn't really about the various interpretation of scripture but about the acceptance of scripture. As I said earlier there is usually in my experience a huge difference between what church leaders profess and what their on the ground membership believe ... I can't say I've met many SDA though and I don't think there are any regular posters here in that religion, which is a shame ...

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #24

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 11 by American Deist]
I can write something and make the claim that "this is the Word of God." I did not specify that God spoke to me or revealed those words in a dream. I am making the claim that I know the Word of God, and this is it. Charlatans will fall into this category, as will religious con artists.
Okay...assuming that you do this, how do I separate you from the charlatans and con artists who I presume will also say God spoke to them?
If you, Bob and Connor all claim to have been in the bank alone, I can check CCTV footage to see which of the three of you (if any).

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #25

Post by Checkpoint »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 22 by Checkpoint]

Well I don't know what "conditional immorality" is but my OP wasn't really about the various interpretation of scripture but about the acceptance of scripture. As I said earlier there is usually in my experience a huge difference between what church leaders profess and what their on the ground membership believe ... I can't say I've met many SDA though and I don't think there are any regular posters here in that religion, which is a shame ...
What JW and SDA believe the Bible teaches about man's mortality and about the fate of the unsaved, is known as "annihilationism" by its opponents and as "conditional immortality" by its proponents.

While JW are well represented on this forum, SDA and LDS have no obvious representation here.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #26

Checkpoint wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 22 by Checkpoint]

What JW and SDA believe the Bible teaches about man's mortality and about the fate of the unsaved, is known as "annihilationism" by its opponents and as "conditional immortality" by its proponents.

While JW are well represented on this forum, SDA and LDS have no obvious representation here.
Yes that's a shame it would make for some interesting conversations. ...

BTW Obviously I am in a better position as to say what we Jehovah's Witnesses call our doctrine and than you or Wikipedia, and I assure you we never refer to "conditional immortality". ... but maybe when you refer to "proponents" of whatever it is, you are not referring to JWs.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #27

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to post 26 by JehovahsWitness]
BTW Obviously I am in a better position as to say what we Jehovah's Witnesses call our doctrine and than you or Wikipedia, and I assure you we never refer to "conditional immortality". ... but maybe when you refer to "proponents" of whatever it is, you are not referring to JWs.
I was referring to believers who are neither JW nor SDA.