Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Contradictory statements

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

Contradictory statements

Words attributed to Jesus by Luke and Matthew (whoever they may have been) appear to be contradictory (as well as perhaps irrational -- particularly those cited by "Luke").
Luke 14:26 “If any man come to Me and hate not his father and mother, and wife and children, and brethren and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple.

Matthew 22:39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’

Matthew 7:12 So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets
Love your neighbor – but hate your father, mother, wife, children, brothers, sisters (and yourself)?

Do unto others (hate them) as you would have them do to you (hate you)?

In psychiatry and psychology, maintaining two or more contradictory statements or positions is viewed as an indication of schizophrenia . . .

Do the statements quoted seem like wise words from a wonderful teacher / leader / preacher?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Re: Contradictory statements

Post #11

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 8 by JoeyKnothead]

Welcome back JoeyKnothead. I for one thought you were sorely missed.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #12

Post by rikuoamero »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
rikuoamero wrote: [Replying to post 4 by JehovahsWitness]
* Even in English hate is sometimes used to mean something other than animosity, for example, when a woman exclaims, having given in to that extra piece of cake and ruined her diet "I just hate myself" she is usually not really expressing sustained self loathing and anomisity towards her person. It is, at least colloquially understood to mean she is disappointed in herself.
Agree. There have been a number of times I've said to friends "Oh God, I hate you now so much!" as an expression of envy, such as when they have the next day off work and I don't. I still don't see how this helps your position much, or resolves the dilemma I pointed out. We still have to try to figure out what exactly Jesus meant...
Well once we've accepted that "hate" CAN mean other things, look up the various meanings of the word in the Greek language (which has been done) and pick the one that to you, as the reader, believe to be most in harmony with the overall narrative.

You are the reader you are the one that ultimately gets to decide what you believe what you are reading means. I think you have been on this forum long enough to know that not everyone will agree with you, whichever you choose.
Again I ask are JWs allowed to do that? What happens if the watchtower teaches that it's 'to love less' than but Johnny JW teaches hate as in to despise?

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #13

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 2 by rikuoamero]

[center]
Be careful not to be hoodwinked by religious propaganda.[/center]

rikuoamero wrote:
Not a scholar of Koine Greek or anything, but biblehub does have the following

miseó: to hate
Original Word: μισέω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: miseó
Phonetic Spelling: (mis-eh'-o)
Short Definition: I hate, detest
Definition: I hate, detest, love less, esteem less.

So from what I can see, I can't rule out translating Luke 14:26 as 'love less'.

I don't see how they got from "hate, detest" to "love less" and "esteem less".

Hate means to me a total LACK of love, the OPPOSITE of love and active DISLIKE. A disgust, a repugnance, a revulsion, a repulsion. intense and quite passionate disapproval of... and so on. Hate is a VERY strong word in English.

Hate leads to murder and wars, sometimes.
To say that hate is LESS LOVE is almost ridiculous.

Yeah, how about so MUCH less that there is almost NONE at all.

Be careful of dictionaries, because some of them have agendas.
They happen.

Let's always be skeptical.

Quite semantically sly sometimes, these wordsmiths.

:)

Wootah
Savant

Post #14

Post by Wootah »

Zzyzx wrote: .
Contradictory statements

Words attributed to Jesus by Luke and Matthew (whoever they may have been) appear to be contradictory (as well as perhaps irrational -- particularly those cited by "Luke").
Luke 14:26 “If any man come to Me and hate not his father and mother, and wife and children, and brethren and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple.

Matthew 7:12 So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets
Love your neighbor – but hate your father, mother, wife, children, brothers, sisters (and yourself)?

In psychiatry and psychology, maintaining two or more contradictory statements or positions is viewed as an indication of schizophrenia . . .

Do the statements quoted seem like wise words from a wonderful teacher / leader / preacher?
What's the contradiction?

All it's saying is don't put others before Jesus. Before I was a Christian I certainly put family first and in many ways when we put family first we cover up the 'slime' in our families. When I became a Christian and hated my family, I no longer tolerated that 'slime'. When you understand it you realise that putting Jesus first is the best way to love your family and your neighbour. Family is a pretty big idol, in my society at least, that gets between man and God and I think it was back then as well.

I wonder what the definition is in psychiatry when one can't reason out simple conundrums, thinks they are contradictions and then implies schizophrenia?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #15

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 14 by Wootah]

[center]
It looks like denialism to me
[/center]

Wootah wrote:

All it's saying is don't put others before Jesus.
Some people can't see the word "hate" in there, but it's there, I assure you. In one passage it talks about love and the other passage talks about hate. Love and hate.

It wasn't love and love.

Question:

• Do you ignore the word "hate" because it's inconvenient? Why DO you ignore the word as if it never happened?

:)

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #16

Post by Zzyzx »

Wootah wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: Contradictory statements

Let's see if we can figure out if there is a contradiction between:

'You cannot be my disciple unless you hate your parents, siblings, spouse and children'

vs.

'Love your neighbor as yourself' and 'do unto others as you would have them do unto you'

Nope – no contradiction if viewed through God Glasses. Without those glasses, however, to love and hate one's family seems just a wee bit contradictory (at least to this Non-Theist who isn't seeped in Jesus lore).
Wootah wrote: All it's saying is don't put others before Jesus.
No it is not saying that at all. It clearly says 'You cannot be my disciple unless you hate your parents, siblings, spouse and children'

Playing word games and making 'interpretations' does not change what is clearly stated.
Wootah wrote: Before I was a Christian I certainly put family first and in many ways when we put family first we cover up the 'slime' in our families. When I became a Christian and hated my family, I no longer tolerated that 'slime'.
Condolences. We don't get to choose our family. However, some of us were not born into 'slime'. Had we been, perhaps theism would have had appeal as an escape from 'slime'?
Wootah wrote: When you understand it you realise that putting Jesus first is the best way to love your family and your neighbour.
I am thankful that I was not indoctrinated to believe such things. An attempt was made but even as a child I did not accept such things as being true.

Is that done by theists while hating family and neighbors as required to become a disciple?
Wootah wrote: Family is a pretty big idol, in my society at least, that gets between man and God and I think it was back then as well.
It seems as though worshiping gods often gets between a person and their family.
Wootah wrote: I wonder what the definition is in psychiatry when one can't reason out simple conundrums, thinks they are contradictions and then implies schizophrenia?
It would be prudent to consult dictionaries for definitions of 'conundrum'
1. a riddle whose answer is or involves a pun
2. a question or problem having only a conjectural answer
3. an intricate and difficult problem

Which of those apply? How can an 'intricate and difficult problem' be 'simple'?

Is there a pun intended in the remarks attributed to Jesus?

Perhaps 'a question or problem having only a conjectural answer' applies if the speaker accepts that his answer is only conjecture.

Then again, maybe hating IS the path to love (via theism?) or love is the path to hated. I cannot say since I am not a Theist.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Wootah
Savant

Post #17

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to Blastcat]

Unless you hate evil you are not loving your neighbour. All things that we love above God are evil, even family.

Many, many people choose family over what is good. There are other verses where Jesus says, even the pagans love their children. Love of family is such a minimal standard. Try loving a stranger as a brother.

So I hate my family and actively work against it all the time. When they want to be selfish I try to encourage them to be selfless. When they want to just love within their group I point out the world that needs their love.

When you walk by a homeless person you are showing you hate them as the world does. When you stop and help them you are hating homelessness. Hate isn't the issue. It's what you hate.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #18

Post by Zzyzx »

Wootah wrote: So I hate my family and actively work against it all the time. When they want to be selfish I try to encourage them to be selfless. When they want to just love within their group I point out the world that needs their love.
Would it not be preferable to encourage people (including family members) in positive or productive directions WITHOUT hating them?

Some of us Non-Theists, who are not beholden to ancient texts, know how to encourage without hating. Some Theists express that ability -- with PN as a prime example.

Evidently, though, hate is part of the agenda for many religions and religionists. Sad.
Non-Theist

Wootah
Savant

Post #19

Post by Wootah »

Zzyzx wrote: .
Wootah wrote: So I hate my family and actively work against it all the time. When they want to be selfish I try to encourage them to be selfless. When they want to just love within their group I point out the world that needs their love.
Would it not be preferable to encourage people (including family members) in positive or productive directions WITHOUT hating them?

Some of us Non-Theists, who are not beholden to ancient texts, know how to encourage without hating. Some Theists express that ability -- with PN as a prime example.

Evidently, though, hate is part of the agenda for many religions and religionists. Sad.
You should call PN into this thread and let's see how she reconciles the quotes.

I would be highly surprised if she and I were in disagreement.

Mostly, between you and I, I am left wondering if you know yourself or if you do know yourself but would prefer to engage in debate on this forum. To claim you don't hate seems to me to be a claim to not be human.

Assuming you are simply not aware of yourself or the human condition:

To hate evil is good.

Start there. Do you agree or disagree?
Last edited by Wootah on Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Willum
Savant

Post #20

Post by Willum »

[Replying to Wootah]

To hate evil is still to hate.
Hate is like a fire. It spreads and feeds itself.
Hating evil, is still evil.
It must be dealt with without hate.